View Full Version : What kind of mouse are you using? Why?

David Prahl
07-24-2003, 08:53 PM
What kind of mouse or pointing device are you using? Why do you like or detest it?

David Prahl
07-24-2003, 08:54 PM
I just use an analog scroll mouse because it's cheap. :oops:

Jacob
07-24-2003, 09:04 PM
I use a wireless optical at home. I only use an analog one at work because well, that's what I was given.

Optical mice are getting cheaper and cheaper - I'd say there's no disadvantage to having an optical mouse.

Kati Compton
07-24-2003, 09:14 PM
I just use an analog scroll mouse because it's cheap. :oops:
Ditto. I'll probably go to wireless optical at some point soonish.

stitics
07-24-2003, 09:20 PM
I use a wired optical at work, because that's what my predecessor bought. I have a wireless optical one that my boss just had me buy, but I haven't installed it yet.

I use a wired analog trackball at home, because, with the exception of a few games, I find it much more convenient to keep my hand in one place. Plus, then you need a much smaller free (read: clean) area on your desk. Heck, you don't even need a clean area, you can just set the trackball on top of the piles of stuff on your desk.

Kevin Remhof
07-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Wired optical is my favorite. I don't want to have to mess with changing batteries in a wireless mouse. Too much effort for too little payback. Plus, my new optical at home only cost me $7 after rebate.

My only extravegance is in mousepads. I'm hooked on MouseRugs (http://www.mouserug.com). Yeah, I know that optical mice don't need them. But, I can't stand using a mouse on anything but a pad. I like the tactile feel of a mousepad.

Dave Beauvais
07-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Logitech MX700 Cordless Optical Mouse (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=3&CONTENTID=4999&countryid=19&languageid=1) connected to a KVM switch at home for use on multiple PCs and a Kensington PocketMouse Pro Wireless (http://www.kensington.com/html/1766.html) when I'm mobile with my notebook. Cords suck. :)

--Dave

Janak Parekh
07-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Same as Dave -- the MX700 is possibly the best mouse I've ever used. Even for gaming. You'll never go back :D

--janak

Hyperluminal
07-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Since my only PC is a notebook, my mouse is a touchpad. I actually like it a lot; touchpads are very precise, and I also like keeping my hand in one place. My notebook also has a trackpoint, but I don't really use it...

spursdude
07-24-2003, 10:03 PM
I have a basic Logitech optical wired mouse. Got it for free! from Amazon a whiles back. I don't need wireless as my laptop is right next to my mouse, and the ability to use the mouse on any surface (i.e. pillow, couch, pants leg, granite...) is so useful.

Jacob
07-24-2003, 10:11 PM
Same as Dave -- the MX700 is possibly the best mouse I've ever used. Even for gaming. You'll never go back :D

--janak

That is the mouse that I really want... I like Logitech products a lot usually, just not their software. I want to go out and buy one of those now :drool: .

GoldKey
07-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Wired optical. Works on top of anything, so don't need a clean desk. No mousepad, so one less thing to clutter the desk. I also use an optical trackball, but that is not a choice.

Dave Beauvais
07-24-2003, 10:47 PM
... I like Logitech products a lot usually, just not their software. ...
Agreed. MouseWare in general really blows. However, almost any mouse will function as a normal wheel mouse without any additional software as long as you don't care about not being able to use or reassign the extra buttons. On the MX700, the left, right, wheel, and two thumb buttons work in WinXP without MouseWare. The other three buttons in front of and behind the wheel simply do nothing when you press them. In my opinion, those other buttons are unnecessary, anyway, so I just stick with the standard Windows mouse driver to keep my system as clean as possible.

--Dave

Janak Parekh
07-25-2003, 12:32 AM
Agreed. MouseWare in general really blows.
Historically, yes. But -- good news -- the latest MouseWare software is absolutely stable, and it adds a lot of nice features to the mouse, not least of which is button assignments and auto-acceleration-disabling for games.

--janak

Dave Beauvais
07-25-2003, 01:07 AM
... the latest MouseWare software is absolutely stable, and it adds a lot of nice features to the mouse, not least of which is button assignments and auto-acceleration-disabling for games.
Did they finally fix the issue where their stupid software would make the mouse wheel entirely useless in games unless you applied some stupid registry patch? If yes, why did it take years -- literally -- to integrate that fix into the driver itself? (Rhetorical question.)

I'm still not going to install the software myself, but I'm glad to hear they finally got things working well.

--Dave

Janak Parekh
07-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Did they finally fix the issue where their stupid software would make the mouse wheel entirely useless in games unless you applied some stupid registry patch? If yes, why did it take years -- literally -- to integrate that fix into the driver itself? (Rhetorical question.)
Yes. I've not had any problems with any Mouseware version in terms of wheel support ever since the MX700 was released. As for why, don't ask me ;) We've had that registry fix sitting on our server's install directory since the NT4 days. At least we don't use it anymore. :lol:

--janak

Pat Logsdon
07-25-2003, 03:50 AM
I actually use a wired optical trackball, and a wired optical mouse. Love the trackball, tolerate the mouse. In my opinion, once you go trackball, you don't go back.

The mouse was actually free - my Microsoft trackball didn't come with a PS/2 adapter, so they just sent me a new optical mouse that had that part in the package. I asked why they didn't just ship me the missing part, and they said this way was easier. I didn't complain too much, 'cause hey - free mouse. :mrgreen: 8)

Jacob
07-25-2003, 04:02 AM
Yes. I've not had any problems with any Mouseware version in terms of wheel support ever since the MX700 was released. As for why, don't ask me ;) We've had that registry fix sitting on our server's install directory since the NT4 days. At least we don't use it anymore. :lol:

--janak

I broke down and got the MX700 today. I do like it a lot - the mouseware worked in games as long as you set it to MS compatible scroll wheel only. Otherwise it didn't work.

Dave Beauvais
07-25-2003, 04:10 AM
I've used a lot of mice over the years and the MX700 is, by far, the best I've ever used. Once I have a paying job again, I'm seriously considering buying a second one just to have a spare in case this one bites it. Of course with my luck, I'll have this spare mouse that's never been used and something new will be on the market that I like better. :)

--Dave

Janak Parekh
07-25-2003, 05:59 AM
I broke down and got the MX700 today. I do like it a lot - the mouseware worked in games as long as you set it to MS compatible scroll wheel only. Otherwise it didn't work.
Ah, I did that on day 1 -- I needed middle-click for Mozilla, and it wouldn't work otherwise.

Once I have a paying job again, I'm seriously considering buying a second one just to have a spare in case this one bites it.
I ended up getting a second one as a present... for home. ;)

--janak

Mark Kenepp
07-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Wireless Optical at home (depending on which computer I am using).

Just curious,

Is there really a big market for wireless trackballs?

I just figured that since the trackball unit (not sure what you would call the stationary device) isn't moving, no wires will get in the way anyway.

I guess it would make for a cleaner desk.

dean_shan
07-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Agreed. MouseWare in general really blows. However, almost any mouse will function as a normal wheel mouse without any additional software as long as you don't care about not being able to use or reassign the extra buttons. On the MX700, the left, right, wheel, and two thumb buttons work in WinXP without MouseWare. The other three buttons in front of and behind the wheel simply do nothing when you press them. In my opinion, those other buttons are unnecessary, anyway, so I just stick with the standard Windows mouse driver to keep my system as clean as possible.

Same here. O realy like their hardware. Once you go wireless optical you'll never turn back, even if it's a wired optical. I brought in one of my wireless optical mice into work so I wouldn't have to deal with the one they gave me.

ctmagnus
07-26-2003, 06:17 AM
I use a wired IntelliMouse 1/1A PS/2 Compatible, circa 1997. I've used it almost every day since I got it five and a half years ago and it still works fine. :way to go: