View Full Version : IBM Microdrive's Power Consumption

ksh937
07-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Does anyone have the 1GB IBM Microdrive CF Type 2 card and use it with their ipaq? Just wondering how much more it drains the battery compared to the normal CF cards.

Also, if I have the IPAQ plugged into the ac cord to use it, should I take out the battery? I have heard a lot of stuff about the problems with overcharging rechareable batteries and how it decreases thier lifespans. Thanks!

Bichcake
07-24-2003, 06:43 PM
I think it's fine to leave it plugged in. I don't really know though, but i think it's got something to do with LiIon batteries.

also, i've read that there will be 2 and 4 gig microdrives out by this fall, so prices on the 1 gig drives might drop. don't know how much though, cause it's kinda a special thing. I can't remember now but i think the 4 gig are avalible now, but they are $1,000+ and only really marketed toward photographers.

droppedd
07-24-2003, 06:50 PM
if I have the IPAQ plugged into the ac cord to use it, should I take out the battery? I have heard a lot of stuff about the problems with overcharging rechareable batteries and how it decreases thier lifespans. Thanks!

Overcharging is certainly not a problem with modern batteries and chargers. That was really a problem with NiCd batteries more than anything else, anyways. Most modern devices with better batteries (like the ipaq's LiIon batteries) have a circuit built in that stops charging the battery when full, at which point it is still powered from AC, but without charging any further.

droppedd
07-24-2003, 06:52 PM
also, i've read that there will be 2 and 4 gig microdrives out by this fall, so prices on the 1 gig drives might drop. don't know how much though, cause it's kinda a special thing. I can't remember now but i think the 4 gig are avalible now, but they are $1,000+ and only really marketed toward photographers.

Yes, there was an article here about it a few weeks back. The 2.4 gig microdrives in the new batch later this year will retail for $280, which is a ridiculously good deal. Hold out till then unless you really need the high-cap CF card.