View Full Version : HP iPAQ 4100 Receives Bluetooth Certification

Janak Parekh
07-24-2003, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3876.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3876.html</a><br /><br /></div>As of yesterday, the Bluetooth SIG approved the iPAQ 4100's Bluetooth capabilities. So now, the question is, what <i>is</i> the 4100? Brighthand has <a href="http://www.brighthand.com/article/iPAQ_h4100_Gets_Bluetooth_Qualification">one take</a> on it. Let the speculation begin... ;)

ipaqabilities
07-24-2003, 04:35 PM
I've also posted my take on iPAQabilities.com at this link:

http://www.ipaqabilities.com/news/articles/0703-h4100series.php

gorkon280
07-24-2003, 04:59 PM
My take on this is that it would probably not include 2 wireless technologies. That's the job of the 5555. If it has a keyboard, it may not necessarily be integrated. Those pics of that concept makes it look more like a Toshiba than a iPaq. Plus you also do not see a pic with the keyboard folded up.
The one that looks like it may be the device does not look thick enough for the keyboard and the device in the package. If I am wrong, I will have to pull out the drool :drool: emoticon again! :)

PJE
07-24-2003, 05:09 PM
It'll be interesting to see if HP is able to get Microsoft to recode the few PocketPC applications that are not landscape compliant... here's hoping!

The Brighthand information also stated half VGA resolution, but I can't see that from the pictures - It would also require all software to be resolution independant.

The other issue with landscape is that you're giving up much more of the display to the top and bottom bars. What's needed is to split the bottom bar and have the top bar to the left of the toolbar. This would free up a significant percentage of the screen.

Unless this thing runs CE.NET without the PocketPC applications in a similar way to the Nexio S160... but that may restict the number of applications that could run on the unit.

GoldKey
07-24-2003, 05:15 PM

Why not post your take here? If everyone posted their thoughts on another website and just put links here, what fun would that be. Otherwise it is just a pointless website plug.

GO-TRIBE
07-24-2003, 05:15 PM
I think this device might give us a little insight into what MS is planning for PPC 2004 (landscape, various screen resolutions, improved office apps). So, my guess is that HP is preping this device to debut PPC 2004 on release day and showcase the many new features and enhancements (which were made possible by the transition to CE.NET).

If HP gets it right, this device could be KILLER! 0X

Janak Parekh
07-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Why not post your take here? If everyone posted their thoughts on another website and just put links here, what fun would that be. Otherwise it is just a pointless website plug.
Ordinarily, I agree. However, he did write up a long article in this case, analyzing pictures, etc.

--janak

GoldKey
07-24-2003, 05:21 PM
My bad. Since this is a work PC, I don't like to follow offsite links since I never know what might pop up. So I did not even bother looking since he did not provide any detail other than the link in his post.

entropy1980
07-24-2003, 05:35 PM
I think it's more likely the converged device HP has said they will be bringing out, whether or not it looks like the one in the video I have no idea, but I think it's likely to be at least BT and GPRS.

aroma
07-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Oh good grief... just when I thought we would get a small break in all the speculation after the release of PPC2003 and all the new devices... ;)

huangzhinong
07-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Since it runs wince 4.1 not ppc 2003/4 at all, I don't feel excited at all. Without tons of application, no matter how cool it is, it won't be better than sharp linux PDA.

kagayaki1
07-24-2003, 06:18 PM
You know, sitting here staring at my Stowaway XT, I can't help but feel like I probably would not buy a PDA that largefor everyday use. With the new smaller ones, it's almost just that much more of an enterprise specific device.

This is not to say I for sure wouldn't buy one just to play with. W?BIC! That video on Pocket PC Italia just rocks. Hurry, get it before it goes away!

GetAFix
07-24-2003, 06:20 PM
I would agree with the post above that it would be unlikely that there
would be two wireless technologies implemented in this device. That
would be a 55xx series device. It would be nice if this device has
half VGA resolution and capable of landscape orientation but that would
make it difficult for it to be backward compatible with existing software.

Let's see how this device turns out.

-Getafix

Pocket PC Dubai
07-24-2003, 07:26 PM

Nice article, actually your website is my favorite dedicated iPAQ fan site.

Every day I must visit :wink:

Kati Compton
07-24-2003, 07:32 PM
I'd still like to see a regular clamshell devices like the HPCs, but with the PPC OS. Once you've got this out and are using it, it just seems like making origami to put the keyboard away. ;) I know clamshell keyboards are a little less functional because they're smaller, but to me, they're also more convenient....

Edgar_
07-24-2003, 07:45 PM
I got a brifing last Thursday (17th) from the HP PSG.
the 4350 coming this fall (Oct/Nov):

builtin KB
32mb ROM/64Mb RAM
400Mhz PXA255
SDIO
Bluetooth
Wi-Fi
3.5" screen (reduces size to allow comfortable size with KB)
Removable battery
I think I wrote this size down for the 4350 as 4.6" x 2.9" x .7" at 185grams (no I have no idea why they use grams for weight and decimal size on the powerpoint they showed)
$499

Also, the 555X is the last device with sleeve support (in current release plans); "we have grown beyond the need for sleeves". Converged device (not HTC built) with 10.5 hrs with GPRS on will be released 'next year'

entropy1980
07-24-2003, 08:11 PM
I got a brifing last Thursday (17th) from the HP PSG.
the 4350 coming this fall (Oct/Nov):

builtin KB
32mb ROM/64Mb RAM
400Mhz PXA255
SDIO
Bluetooth
Wi-Fi
3.5" screen (reduces size to allow comfortable size with KB)
Removable battery
I think I wrote this size down for the 4350 as 4.6" x 2.9" x .7" at 185grams (no I have no idea why they use grams for weight and decimal size on the powerpoint they showed)
$499

Also, the 555X is the last device with sleeve support (in current release plans); "we have grown beyond the need for sleeves". Converged device (not HTC built) with 10.5 hrs with GPRS on will be released 'next year'

Is it Pocket PC or WinCE?

jkabaseball
07-24-2003, 08:52 PM
:drool: i want one now, if the specs are true i'm going to camp outside best buy tomorrow waiting. This is the Dream PPC for me.

please be true, please be true..... :werenotworthy:

tato68
07-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Just saw the presentation on these new models.

Picture look like a 1900 with small kbd. in the bottom.

I'll try to get the pictures later next week.

ToeCutter
07-24-2003, 10:03 PM
I saw this demonstrated quite a while ago in a video available on PocketPC Italia.

It is VERY slick, albeit a little large for my tastes. I'm not sure if this is the final version of the iPaq 4100, but it does have a full size, Stowaway-esque keyboard.

Here's a link to the video (it's a zipped Flash animation, so no streaming):

http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/top_secret.zip

Edit: Oops, the ipaqabilities.com article has a link to the same Flash animation as well. Perhaps I should have read it FIRST... :oops:

Edgar_
07-24-2003, 10:56 PM
The 4350 I saw looked more like a Hitachi G1000 with a chicklet KB. And teh screen shot looked to be PPC not CE. the Italia screening was said to be "just experimental, not to be expected".

No GPRS, just BT and WiFi (ie not converged device).

The converged device they showed look more like the 4100 - (same specs no KB)

R K
07-24-2003, 11:54 PM
If this is true...

Then I don't think it's the Pocket PC shown in the video since the one in the video looks like it's the size of the current iPAQ H36/37/38/39/51/54/5500 series with a smaller (3.5") screen.

The size mentioned above is more similar to the iPAQ H2210 with a 0.10 increase in thickness.

On the other hand, hopefully it's something to the effect of a Zaurus keyboard whereby the keyboard slides out of the Pocket PC.

Mitch D
07-25-2003, 01:33 AM

I remeber reading that article and how excited I was that something like that might come out! I am still excited to see if the ipaq 4xxx really does comeout in a style simular to this! :rotfl:

beq
07-25-2003, 02:05 AM
In a way it's kinda cool to see HP maintaining a lead on PPCs and not losing to Dell (various IT sectors) or Japanese manufacturers (consumer electronics) ;)

Prevost
07-25-2003, 02:52 AM
For some people, to have a keyboard like this available anytime will be good.

It is also a good thing that HP starts giving people a span of devices with different ergonomical features and not just different hardware options.

For those insisting in the innovative sony designs, I think this is very much better than those.

Sadly, OEM's inprovements cannot get into what the operating system does.

Abba Zabba
07-25-2003, 07:55 AM
I think for the first time, if this device pans out we'll truely have innovation after almost3 yrs of waiting for something differt from all the OEMs :roll:

This looks to be a very promising device as long as it is converged. Read this carefully hp WE WANT CONVERGED: i.e. 802.xx or BT *AND* GPRS who cares about CDMA (I don't).

To the comment above about portability. This device just needs the ability to either be carried in combination: keyboard and PPC or seperately.

But saying all the above, what is the point in this device :?: You can go get yourself a PPC, a CF GSM card, and a stowaway keyboard and have the same functionality now and probably for alot cheaper. :mrgreen: But my guess is that an all around all in one device would probably look cooler :wink:

jnunn
07-25-2003, 09:15 AM
An iPAQ 4 series? Good luck selling that number in Japan.

I tend to follow Entropy's thought about the converged device with GPRS. I read recently that HP is bringing out a converged device later in 2003 and this is the only new device on the horizon. That it has BT is no big deal: all new iPAQs have BT.

I can't latch onto the idea of the full size keyboard since I have not read that HP has said anything about a full size keyboard coming out in 2003. The converged device, however, is expected.

To me, though, neither is very attractive. I ALWAYS have more than one pocket so I prefer to split up my PPC, cell, and possibly keyboard between pockets rather than have a brick in my pants. And when I'm being social (on business too, i.e. dinners, lunch) I do not need or want my keyboard whereas I always carry my PPC.

Half VGA would be nice like the Tungsten T3 rumors. I would hope that the PPC community will leap past Palm rather than just catch up and go straight to VGA.

Stephen Beesley
07-25-2003, 10:42 AM
On the other hand, hopefully it's something to the effect of a Zaurus keyboard whereby the keyboard slides out of the Pocket PC.

Yes please :D

The IPaq concept with the built in full size keyboard would be my dream PDA. Size is not really that important to me - after all I used to carry a Newton Mp2k around with me pretty much everywhere!

That said, at the moment I think an ipaq with a built in retractable thumboard like on the Sharp would be more likely at the moment and now that I have discovered the joys of Wifi I can see the usefullness of it.

Bottom line for me is that I am hoping to keep my Jornada in service until something that really hits the spot comes along and something like that could be it!

Goldtee

Hyperluminal
07-25-2003, 02:55 PM
The IPaq concept with the built in full size keyboard would be my dream PDA. Size is not really that important to me - after all I used to carry a Newton Mp2k around with me pretty much everywhere!
I was actually wondering, how would you carry a Newton with you? Because I have an MP2K, and I was actually using it a lot for a while, but I could never see how you could just take it with you everywhere, which you can do with a PPC-sized device.
Did you have a case, or just hold it? Or fit it in your pocket (it can kind of fit in mine, but not comfortabily...)?
I'm just curious... :)

Stephen Beesley
07-25-2003, 03:31 PM
I was actually wondering, how would you carry a Newton with you? Because I have an MP2K, and I was actually using it a lot for a while, but I could never see how you could just take it with you everywhere, which you can do with a PPC-sized device.
Did you have a case, or just hold it? Or fit it in your pocket (it can kind of fit in mine, but not comfortabily...)?
I'm just curious... :)

Lets just say that I have big pockets :wink:

Seriously, Yes I did carry it in the pocket of my suit pants a lot of the time and no it was not really the most comfortable solution. Other times I just carried it in my hand like a book. I take a backpack with me a lot of the time (even when I am wearing a suit) so if nothing else I would chuck it in their along with the keyboard and other bits and pieces.

That said - I have been using a PPC as my main PDA (I still use the Newton now and then particularly for taking notes with its excellent HWR) for over two years now and I do find it a much much much more convenient size to carry about!

Goldtee

The Half-Ling
07-25-2003, 03:39 PM
This was my main disconcern with the 2215...no integrated bluetooth...I sold my 2215 despite its small form factor for a 5555 and have been pleased with my decision. It looks like again HP has taken a feature out in a new model...10$ says it doesn't have CIR either ;)

Cheers,
Jake-

hollis_f
07-25-2003, 03:51 PM
I can see this device falling between the two stools of portability vs function. If it's too big to carry around as easily as my iPAQ I might as well go the whole hog and get a tablet PC. If it's too expensive and underpowered then I'm definitely better off with a Tablet.

Ratel10mm
07-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Since it runs wince 4.1 not ppc 2003/4 at all, I don't feel excited at all. Without tons of application, no matter how cool it is, it won't be better than sharp linux PDA.

Since it's possible to flash Linux onto a PPC, could we not flash ppc2003 onto this? Forgive my ignorance. :oops:

Janak Parekh
07-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Since it's possible to flash Linux onto a PPC, could we not flash ppc2003 onto this? Forgive my ignorance. :oops:
Only if someone builds a PPC2003 image for such a device. But we still don't know what it is and what it runs, so it's way too early to speculate like this. All we now know is that something exists. :)

--janak

Ratel10mm
07-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi Janak

The Samsung Nexio does exist:

http://www.dynamism.com/nexio/index.shtml

And it's one sweet looking machine!

Janak Parekh
07-25-2003, 04:58 PM
The Samsung Nexio does exist
Hmm. I wasn't sure what huangzhinong was referring to. I am aware the NEXiO exists; I posted about it on this site months ago (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6569). :)

--janak

Hyperluminal
07-25-2003, 05:14 PM
This was my main disconcern with the 2215...no integrated bluetooth...

You mean it has no integrated WiFi, right? Because the 2215 does have integrated BT...

HOLLYWOOD_
07-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Brighthand says one of the 4000 series models will have an integrated thumboard. :jawdrop:

HOLLYWOOD_
07-25-2003, 05:49 PM
Here's the link to the article:

http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_First_Look_at_iPAQ_h4000_Series

The Half-Ling
07-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Yaya lol...no integrated wifi...:-p

My bad,
Jake-