View Full Version : Temporary Internet Files on a SD/CF in WM2003?

Reza
07-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Anyone knows how to move the temporary internet files as well as the cookies and history logs to a storage card under Windows Mobile 2003?

The old registry tweak (http://www.phm.lu/PocketPC/RegTweaks/Tweak.asp?ref=7) doesn't seem to work... :cry:

fireman2850
07-27-2003, 06:25 AM
I don't know how to move them but I can tell you how to control them a little better. I noticed that I was losing a lot of my memory on my 2215 during long uses of PIE. Using the "delete files" option under tools magically cleared up a large amount of RAM (up to 10 MB sometimes). Poking around in the registry I found some settings and tinkered with them.

Get a registry editor and you can adjust the following:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content\CacheLimit

Was set to 19456. I assume this is amount of memory to use. If so it translates into 19MB!!! That's alot of cache. I reset mine to 2048 (2MB). Using WIMR to watch the cache folder it never goes above approximately 1.8MB. I assume the Aggressive Cache Flush setting is what keeps it from reaching 2MB.

You can do the same adjustments to

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content\Cookies

and

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content\History

if you like. I didn't mess with those though. The only thing that bothered me was the skyrocketing memory usage while browsing.

Keep in mind I am simply a hobbyist who poked around and found this. It worked for me. It may cause your device to spontaneously combust (probably not but just be careful when doing registry tweaks.) Hope this helps someone.

*** Reducing the amount of memory allocated by the cachelimit setting will possibly affect your ability to sync Mobile Favorites if the number you enter is lower than the amount needed to sync all your info.

Jerry Raia
07-27-2003, 06:45 AM
Was set to 19456. I assume this is amount of memory to use. If so it translates into 19MB!!!

On my 5555 it is set to 43302!! Why would it be so high??

fireman2850
07-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Maybe I am wrong about what the numbers mean. 19456 divided by 1024 is 19 even, so I assume (that magical word) that it was the amount of RAM used. The cookies setting on mine was 2048 and the history was 1024.

Jerry Raia
07-27-2003, 07:11 AM
I think you are right about the numbers. My Cookies and History are the same as yours.

Hmmmm, my cache limit is an odd number. Do you use AvantGo? I wonder if that changes the value so it can save all of the pages it syncs.

fireman2850
07-27-2003, 02:10 PM
I do use Avantgo quite heavily actually. I have the 8MB extended capacity but I don't think it has anything to do with Avantgo. I say that because Avantgo has its own seperate directory in the Windows folder and its own seperate registry settings and when you use the "delete files" under PIE it does not affect your synced Avantgo info. Maybe Microsoft wants 5555 users to be able to carry around more Mobile Favorites.

I just realized that the 5555 has 128MB of RAM. If you do the math, the 19MB allocated to the 2215 comes to 33% of the 57.11MB of RAM it has. The 43MB you spoke of comes to 33% of the 128MB that the 5555 has.

Jerry Raia
07-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Ok, so I set mine to 4096. We'll see what happens. :)

Reza
07-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Get a registry editor and you can adjust the following:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content\CacheLimit

Was set to 19456. I assume this is amount of memory to use. If so it translates into 19MB!!! That's alot of cache. I reset mine to 2048 (2MB). Using WIMR to watch the cache folder it never goes above approximately 1.8MB. I assume the Aggressive Cache Flush setting is what keeps it from reaching 2MB.
Great find fireman2850!

Now I wish someone would come across the registry key to move all these files on a card. I find it rather silly to limit the caches to 2MB when you have access to hundreds of megabytes on a storage card.

fireman2850
07-28-2003, 02:42 AM
HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shell folders

Change to \SD Card\ and whatever folder you want. Copy folders to card under that folder name. They are under Windows\profiles\guest\. Reset device.

Posted this mobile so I hope I didn't leave anything out.

Reza
07-28-2003, 03:42 AM
HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shell folders
Sweet! I will try it tomorrow, as soon as my new 1GB CF card is delivered... Thanks Fireman2850, you rock! :D

Reza
07-28-2003, 05:20 AM
I couldn't wait until tomorrow , so I tried it on my 256MB SanDisk SD card and it works!
Browsing is noticeably slowed down, but that should hopefully be back to normal once I switch the cache to my brand new 50x Ridata 1GB CF...

fireman2850
07-28-2003, 04:04 PM
I have noticed that on both my Axim and 2215 that the SD card read and write times are both pathetically slow. Write being the worst. I moved my Avantgo files to my SD card only to move them back because of the slow sync times. CF, however, is right on time. My only problem is that my wireless card occupies that slot.

Where did you find the best deal on the 1GB card?

Reza
07-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Where did you find the best deal on the 1GB card?
eBay (http://www.stores.ebay.com/mydigitaldiscountcom/plistings/list/all/dept1/index.html?col=2&dir=-1). I wanted a Ridata as I believe they are really fast (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/).

Reza
07-29-2003, 12:30 AM
I received the Ridata 1GB CF and moved my cache to it from the SD card.
It's so much faster! :)