View Full Version : Toshiba doesn't like its customers

nolan
07-24-2003, 03:58 AM
pasted below is email with toshiba:
----------------------------------------

So if it works, don't touch it attitude? I am very sorry to hear this. I purchased my PDA with the impression that Toshiba would keep their products up to date. While yes my device currently functions fine, what about when new software comes out that will only run on Windows Mobile 2003? Was that not the purpose of the flashable memory... to allow updates? I do realize that Toshiba is currently pushing their new line of PDAs and if I hadn't just purchased mine less than a year ago, I would be inclined to buy a new one. So applying this idea to my Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 laptop: if there was an error in the bios that didn't allow me to upgrade to a new version of windows, would you not release an update since you currently would have newer laptops that come standard with this OS? From this point forward, I will no longer purchase nor recommend any Toshiba products. I will even go to the extent of informing others of your lack of commitment to its customers and persuading them to look elsewhere, starting with this email. I will inform my grandfather of this disservice and direct his pockets elsewhere in his search for a laptop that he plans on buying in the very near future. Also, I have decided to CC this email to several friends, family members and associates to inform them of Toshiba's commitment to its current customers. Working with computers for a living, my opinion is taken in high regard from those who I communicate with in personal and business matters. And wait, there's more... Unfortunately, for Toshiba, the web enables me to pass this message along to a wide audience that I have not even met, all in a small amount of time. Using high traffic resources such as message boards, especially those related to your products in specific, I will be sure to post my opinion. With the help from those mentioned (anyone with internet access), I will be sure to get this message to as many potential customers as possible. Hopefully next time you will consider your customers first.

Sincerely,
Nolan Meyers (a former Toshiba customer)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 9:37 PM
To: Nolan Meyers
Subject: RE: Toshiba PDA Support Request from Nolan Meyers-#43005218672#-

Welcome to Toshiba's PDA Support! How may I help you?
Sorry no upgrade is going to be offerd for the 740 model Toshiba continues to embrace the combination of new technology and dedicated research and development to create products and services that meet the needs of our customers. Introduced in June 2002, the Toshiba Pocket PC e740 was ahead of the competition, by offering the first PDA with integrated wireless connectivity and represented the latest technology the industry had to offer. The new operating system is just one component of overall hardware design, including dual expansion slots, integrated wireless connectivity and a high-performing processor that contributes to the total performance of the device. Since users who purchased a Pocket PC e740 can still enjoy the feature-rich functionality, Toshiba has chosen not to offer a Windows Mobile 2003 software upgrade.

Tony A

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jul 23, 2003 9:32:35 PM
Subject: Toshiba PDA Support Request from Nolan Meyers

Customer Name: Nolan Meyers
PDA Model: e740
Problem Category: Windows PocketPC

When will Windows Mobile 2003 be released for my e740? I just purchased it in decemeber and i would hate to think that it is already obsolete. Thanks.

===========================================================
Sent at: 18:30:6 on 07-23-2003
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030516 Mozilla Firebird/0.6

beckp
07-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Oh Please ... your e740 isn't obsolete. Sure it would be nice to be able to have PPC2003 and who knows .... perhaps we will once things settle down. There still aren't many (if any) PPC's that have a CF, SD and built in WiFi for as little of a price, in a great, compact form factor. I'd be happy to give you my address and take that crappy, out-of-date e740 off your hands!

steve2265
07-26-2003, 02:44 AM
I too purchased a e740 only 5 months ago and I am very disappointed that Toshiba is not offering the PocketPC 2003 upgrade. I am in charge of all technology purchases for my company. We buy between 150-275 new computers a year. Because of this one support issue on my own personal device, I have removed Toshiba from our apporved vendor list and have dirceted my help desk staff not to provide in-house support on Toshiba products we currently own.

All Toshiba really had to do was provide a valid technical reason why the upgrade isn't offered and would still be disapointed but at least I would understand. Toshiba is unwilling to even do that.

wrightca
07-27-2003, 04:20 PM
I don't think it's just the one problem of Toshiba not offering the upgrade. I think that one is just 'the straw that broke the camel's back.' Personally, my dislike of Toshiba comes from several problems they chose not to fix. Also, the fact they wouldn't even make an exception and tell me how to send my e740 to be repaired via US Mail. I'm in the US military and live in Germany. They won't send a FedEx box here. I had to send through my parents in the states. It took forever. I shouldn't have this many problems with such a small device. Just compare it to your computer. If you bought a brand new, top of the line, computer 6 months ago wouldn't you be upset that you couldn't upgrade it to a new Windows OS when it came out?