View Full Version : Scedule Avantgo?

Wiseblood
07-23-2003, 03:30 AM
Total newbie here . . . is there any SiMPLE way to have my iPAQ sync with Avantgo at 5:30 am so the news is ready for me when I crawl out of bed?

Jason Dunn
07-23-2003, 04:18 AM
Sure - put it in the cradle. :lol: AvantGo syncs when you put it in the cradle. If you want to leave it in the cradle overnight, you can just walk up and hit sync, and it will refresh the AvantGo content...but there's no magical way to have it go off at a certain time.

droppedd
07-23-2003, 05:18 AM
edit: oops. I had originally posted that there is a schedule feature in Active Sync... but now I realize: You can schedule syncing. But only for WIRELESS syncing, which seems kind of dumb.

Can't you just set ActiveSync to sync continuously rather than on connection or manually? Would that check AvantGo every so often for updates? hm.

Varrus
07-23-2003, 06:21 AM
I saw this posted somewhere else on this site, so I can't take credit for it. The best way I've heard of to accomplish this is to set an alarm to go off at 5:30, then put your Pocket PC in its cradle and turn it off. When it wakes up (okay, *IF* it wakes up) for the alarm, it will automatically connect to ActiveSync and synchronize everything, including AvantGo.

You'd think MS would be able to make a Personal Digial Assistant (that's what PDA stands for, right?) actually play all alarms that are set... at least my $10 watch does! :grumble:

Pony99CA
07-23-2003, 06:32 AM
is there any SiMPLE way to have my iPAQ sync with Avantgo at 5:30 am so the news is ready for me when I crawl out of bed?
I wonder if PowerStart (http://www.schmidt6.com/powerstart) could do this.

Steve

Wiseblood
07-24-2003, 02:34 AM
I saw this posted somewhere else on this site, so I can't take credit for it. The best way I've heard of to accomplish this is to set an alarm to go off at 5:30, then put your Pocket PC in its cradle and turn it off. When it wakes up (okay, *IF* it wakes up) for the alarm, it will automatically connect to ActiveSync and synchronize everything, including AvantGo.

You'd think MS would be able to make a Personal Digial Assistant (that's what PDA stands for, right?) actually play all alarms that are set... at least my $10 watch does! :grumble:

Nice solution! What a crazy workaround to what you would think SHOULD be a feature of ActiveSync. The reason I badly want to do this is that I have a huge Avantgo download that is saved on my SD Card. It takes at least two cups of coffee before the sync is done.

Varrus
07-24-2003, 07:48 AM
The reason I badly want to do this is that I have a huge Avantgo download that is saved on my SD Card. It takes at least two cups of coffee before the sync is done.

Wow, you've piqued my interest... :morning: If you don't mind me asking, what are you using AvantGo to sync, that's so big?

droppedd
07-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Maybe he's on dialup? Doesn't avantgo have a 2 MB synced channel limit unless you shell out cash for an account anyways though?

Wiseblood
07-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Wow, you've piqued my interest... If you don't mind me asking, what are you using AvantGo to sync, that's so big?

I download the United Methodist News Service site (about 4 or 5 links deep) with images etc.

Jimmy Dodd
07-24-2003, 02:50 PM
is there any SiMPLE way to have my iPAQ sync with Avantgo at 5:30 am so the news is ready for me when I crawl out of bed?
I wonder if PowerStart (http://www.schmidt6.com/powerstart) could do this.

Steve

You could have PowerStart turn on the Pocket PC which would then sync if it was in the cradle - pretty much the same as with an alarm (just more dependable).

One of the things I'd like to see is a way to make AvantGo sync at certain times, not everytime I drop my PPC into the cradle (which I do a lot of while at work). I usually have to turn off the AvantGo sync by default, and then enable it once or twice a day manually.

Wiseblood
07-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Actually, it's an 8 meg account. The thing that really slows it down to a crawl is the fact that it is written to the SD Card and not Main Memory.

The alarm clock solution, albeit kludgy, works just fine!

Thanks everyone!

Pony99CA
07-25-2003, 03:14 PM
One of the things I'd like to see is a way to make AvantGo sync at certain times, not everytime I drop my PPC into the cradle (which I do a lot of while at work). I usually have to turn off the AvantGo sync by default, and then enable it once or twice a day manually.
You can, of course, use the AvantGo settings applet and sync manually. If PowerStart can do GUI manipulation, you'd have your solution. That's what I was alluding to in my previous post.

Steve

Wiseblood
07-25-2003, 05:06 PM
I looked at Powerstart, but it can't do the GUI manipulation. On the other hand, can Avantgo be run with command line instructions?