View Full Version : Dell moves to have WiFi, 3G on its PDAs

Jason Dunn
07-22-2003, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,6776833%5E15321%5E%5Enbv%5E15306,00.html' target='_blank'>http://australianit.news.com.au/art...5E15306,00.html</a><br /><br /></div>"DELL Computer plans to add wireless to nearly all its notebooks and personal digital assistants by combining 2.5/3G and WiFi silicon into one device. Dell, which marked its entry into the handheld market last year with its Axim PDA, says the company's vision is to see the Axim become a mainstream mobile device. By the end of this year, for example Dell plans to build 802.11b into a version of Axim and by 2004, Dell expects to provide a version of Axim that offers 802.11g. <br /><br />The Axim will also include Bluetooth, allowing synchronisation with client devices, including notebooks. The Axim, which supports Microsoft's PocketPC operating system, will also come equipped with a multiday battery life. Internet and voice capabilities will feature in the next-generation Axim handheld. The Dell Axim X5 uses a 400MHz XScale processor and 64MB of memory, plus 48MB of flash ROM and another uses a 300MHz processor, 48MB of SDRAM and 32MB of flash ROM."

JonnoB
07-22-2003, 11:12 PM
I like the ever-increasing competition - especially with increased wireless capabilities... it looks to be a good battle brewing between Dell and HP.

Thinkingman
07-22-2003, 11:13 PM
802.11g is a good idea. I know Fujitsu already has that on their notebooks, but I havent seen it on their Loox as of yet. They are supposed to be releasing a model that includes wi fi, but I dont know about it being g, I think it is supposed to be b.
I personally feel it is a good idea to includde it and hope pricing wont be outrageous.

achille
07-22-2003, 11:18 PM

dh
07-22-2003, 11:24 PM
I like the ever-increasing competition - especially with increased wireless capabilities... it looks to be a good battle brewing between Dell and HP.

Sony too with their new WiFi/BT model. Things are going to get really interesting at the end of the year, especially when POS 6.0 arrives.

THAT THing is ALREADY a brick, add BLuetooth, WIFI and a MULTIDAY Battery ... :idontthinkso: A pocket PC is supposed to fit in your pocket!!! ANd no! I'm not talking about the pockets BIG FAT GUYS

Put an Axim in a low profile case, like the Senna, and it's a managable size. Still has the best features set for the money. I'm going to hang on to mine for a while to see if the new years offerings bring what I really want, SD, CF, BT, WiFi in one package.

I've been temped slightly by the new '03 models like the 2210 or e755, but no-one is quite there yet.

JonnoB
07-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Sony too with their new WiFi/BT model. Things are going to get really interesting at the end of the year, especially when POS 6.0 arrives.

Every time I see the acronym POS referring to Palm OS, I have to remember it does not mean something else. :razzing:

achille
07-22-2003, 11:29 PM

QYV
07-23-2003, 12:40 AM
THAT THing is ALREADY a brick, add BLuetooth, WIFI and a MULTIDAY Battery ... A pocket PC is supposed to fit in your pocket!!! ANd no! I'm not talking about the pockets BIG FAT GUYS

I'm 6' and 195lbs...I'm a little bulky, but I wouldn't call myself a "BIG FAT GUY". And I carry my Axim in my jeans pocket every day! :mrgreen:

The interesting thing will be cost. Dell broke new pricing ground for the Pocket PC with the X5. I wonder if they'll be able to do the same with the new model(s). The 2215 is going to be a hard act to beat...

TawnerX
07-23-2003, 01:24 AM
I hope they hire a real designer instead of designed by comitte approach ala X5. IT has everything that everybody wants.... except ehrrr... has as much zest as a beige brick.

RickP in AZ
07-23-2003, 02:00 AM
WHAT !?!?! :shocked!:
THAT THing is ALREADY a brick, add BLuetooth, WIFI and a MULTIDAY Battery ... :idontthinkso: A pocket PC is supposed to fit in your pocket!!! ANd no! I'm not talking about the pockets BIG FAT GUYS

Wanna see just now big of a "brick" a Dell Axim is? Take the cover sleeve which came with your PAQ 5555, remove the cover, and then slid the 5555 inside. That is how thick the Axim is. Not all that bad huh? Sure as heck beats needing to increase the size of your iPAQ by 30% in order to add the CF sleeve onto it....

I don't know what it is about the Axim and the way it photographs but it really isn't that big. Sure it isn't a 1910/40 and it is slightly bigger than the 2215 but its battery is 50% bigger than either one of those to begin with.

(iPAQ 3795 owner, Axim owner in a very short time... possibly.)

dh
07-23-2003, 02:30 AM
I've been tempted slightly by the new '03 models like the 2210 or e755, but noone is quite there yet.
Did I hear the 2210 and the words "not quite" in the same sentence?
What in the world ?!

The 2210 is indeed "not quite there".
No WiFi (don't mention using a card. Having the keep swapping my CF card for the WiFi one is the one thing I dislike with my Axim).

Lacking in memory. The good old Axim has more memory than the 2210.

To be fair, if the 2210 had WiFi as well as the BT I would have one by now.

Every time I see the acronym POS referring to Palm OS, I have to remember it does not mean something else. :razzing:

I wonder if the Palm guys thought of this when naming their operating system? Rather amusing really.

maximus
07-23-2003, 02:37 AM
I've been temped slightly by the new '03 models like the 2210 or e755, but no-one is quite there yet.

Have to agree with you on that one. I played with 2210 for 3 consecutive days... and I am not tempted to use it further. Going to ship it to my girlfriend today. Still waiting for the upcoming axim.

Dell simply :rock on dude!: [/quote]

Abba Zabba
07-23-2003, 06:48 AM
Is it just me or does anyone esle think that a device can be too small :oops: ?

RickP in AZ
07-23-2003, 06:53 AM
Is it just me or does anyone esle think that a device can be too small :oops: ?

Yes, exactly! My T68m it too tiny for me to talk comfortably on, therefore I can't wait until I can upgrade to the Nokia 3650. I find the 1910/40 to be too small for my usage patterns. Sizewise the iPAQ 2215 is really wonderful but it lacks certain things that I want in my next PDA.

Yes, devices most certainly can be too small.

wrightca
07-23-2003, 07:41 AM
This sounds very promising. The whole reason I picked up the e740 was the CF+SD+WiFi. If I can get that in an Axim, I will. I've been much more satisfied with my Dell experience than with my Toshiba experience.

Thinkingmandavid
07-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Since the Axim is bigger than the 2210 and has longer battery life, can it be that is the reason it is bigger, for the battery?:) I have seen them up close, and I can tell you I really dont like the Axim. A friend of mine and I checked out the Dell Kiosk at a mall, and there it was, but it didnt appeal to me. It has to do with the looks. I am not saying you dont get a good amount for the money, I am saying I didnt like the size nor the looks.

AppleMac
08-12-2003, 08:27 PM
I personally find the Axim to have a very good feature set for it's size (which ISN'T that big at all!). I can't wait until an Axim comes out with WiFi and BT. HP has got some serious competition brewing here :)

tsb_hcy
08-29-2003, 04:14 AM
I think the dual wireless Loox 610 and the Mio 558 will both offer more than the Dell will this year. Maybe 2004 will be the year for Dell, but perhaps the XDA III will rule them all. The XDA II is almost there.