View Full Version : HELP ME!!!!

jkabaseball
07-21-2003, 06:03 PM
OK, i've always liked ppc's i've never used a palm besides just playing a little. But after ppc 2003 came out and nothing "new"(same old designs), Then the new sony came out, landscape, wifi, bt, and keyboard oh man, i love ppc but with this thing i'm thinking of switching. So i need help and reason why not to get it and stay with ppc. What can i do with a ppc that i can't do ina palm?

trachy
07-21-2003, 06:06 PM
I think the better question is "what do you want it to do?" Make a list of things you want your PDA to do, and then go find one that does it at a price you can live with. In the end it shouldn't matter what the OS or hardware platform are.

Pat Logsdon
07-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15201&highlight=) is a good post that fairly objectively compares Palm Vs PPC.

droppedd
07-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Also, take into consideration that the new Clie will run for $700 when it's released. That's a lot of dough to put out on a PDA when you could buy a halfway decent laptop for the same price. An ipaq 2210 with a wifi card and keyboard is still cheaper, has a bigger screen (i think the new clie's screen is 2.6 inches vs. the ipaq's 3.5), and you can rotate the screen in a lot of the software that needs it (PocketQuake, PocketMVP, and even Word).

And like all Clies, they're so customized from the original Palm OS specs that software needs to be specifically written for them in order to use a lot of the specialized features, and many companies don't bother to cater to it specially.

Also, I don't know of any usable DivX video players or SNES emulators for the Palm... but i could be mistaken :).

bigkingfun
07-21-2003, 08:50 PM
One of the biggest drawbacks for me on the Palm OS is the lack of multitasking. I was very tempted by the Tungsten C the first time I tried it until I tried browsing the internet with it. When I switched out of the browser to another application then back again, it went back to the home page. I switch back and forth between email, PIM, browser, etc. constantly and having them all running at once without losing your place in each is mandatory for me.

I'm not too familiar with the Palm OS or the new Sony, so there could be a way around this, but it was the one thing that really stood out for me.

g0097
07-21-2003, 08:52 PM
I love the design of that new clie also but the 700 dollar pricetag is really making me gag. My ipaq with wifi card and built in bluetooth barely cost me 430 dollars. Even if i get a hunderd dollar keyboard I am still undercutting that device by 150 dollars. Those who got their ipaq through the education store at HP would have even more to loose by getting this clie. The gap between what pocketpc's and clies can do is actually rather slim. If clies would come out at a resonable price then I would really get one. I love pocket pc's though because If I dont have a computer at all its still a quite usable machine. Alot of the things that you have to pay extra for on palm handhelds seem to come stock on pocket pc's and there are some extra convient touches on pocket pc's that make me like them more. I am not going to go into a point by point discussion but im just going to say for now that I get more for my money with a pocket pc than a palm and I am certainly not talking about horsepower.....I mean apps and functionality.