View Full Version : E755 and Verizon Wi-Fi NYC

cklaszlo
07-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Can anyone help me. Having a really hard time conecting to any of the Verizon Wi-Fi hot spots in New York City. I'm running Pocketpc 2003. I have a DSL account so that is not the issue. I added "Verizon Wi-Fi"as the SSID and per their instructions I launch IE and it is supposed to bring up a log in screen but eveytime I try to connect to the Verizon Wi-Fi connection it pops up with a strong signal and then disconnects from it. So when I launch IE it says page not found. Anyone else have this problem?

SHoTTa35
07-21-2003, 05:44 PM
oooh another one... welcome to PPCT :D Verizon has Wi-Fi in NY? Where? Unless you talking about your DSL connection with a router that has Wi-Fi built in. If that's the case then you prolly have MAC filtering on which wont allow your PPC to associate or maybe it's the WEP keys or SSID

mattchapin
07-24-2003, 08:53 PM
The Verizon "pay phone hot spots" work great for me! I just walked up to a payphone and used it - no configuration needed. I've got a Toshiba E755.

You just try to access a web site, and it redirects you to a Verizon login page. Once you've logged in, you can pull up whatever site you like.

The thing is, you gotta be right next to the pay phone. The airwaves in NYC are pretty jammed, so even across the street I couldn't necessarily hold the signal.

If you are right next to a payphone, but still can't hold the signal, then that payphone may be broken and you're getting a signal from the payphone down the street. (Or, if you can't see a little dome shaped antenna on top of the payphone, then maybe that payphone's not wired at all!)

On my PPC, the network configuration it gave me for the "Verizon Wifi" SSID looks like this:
Data encryption - unchecked
Network authentication - unchecked
The key is provided for me automatically - checked.

Hope this helps.

Matt

cklaszlo
07-24-2003, 09:00 PM
Dummies at Verizon Tech Support were no help!!!

lol

But you solved my issue and it works like a charm!

I had:

Data encryption - Checked

Using your settings worked. Since you are in NYC. I'll pass this on. Even tho McDonalds says you have to get log in info when you buy a meal you don't. All their points are open.

mattchapin
07-25-2003, 02:03 AM
cklaszlo,

Thanks! (Just one more reason to defy the best advice of my parents and cardiologist...)

-Matt

cklaszlo
11-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Bummer.

Not working again. Any tips from anyone out there in NYC who access Verizon Payphone access points?

What are your settings for the Verizon Wi-Fi SSID?

I also noticed recently that Verizon is adding loads of hotspots all over. Seams like every payphone is now wired. :) Not really but like every 10-15 blocks. It would be so cool if they could do a phone to phone handoff of your DHCP IP addy so you don't have to reconnect each time.

Falstaff
11-25-2003, 10:34 PM
I also noticed recently that Verizon is adding loads of hotspots all over. Seams like every payphone is now wired. :) Not really but like every 10-15 blocks. It would be so cool if they could do a phone to phone handoff of your DHCP IP addy so you don't have to reconnect each time.
Intel is working on technology that would allow you to stay connected all the time. It is pretty interesting stuff, you can read about all their wireless projects here (http://www.intel.com/labs/wireless/bwt/index.htm).

cklaszlo
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Wow. That Intel stuff is really intense. Thanks for pointing that out. Very interestesting. Not sure what a price point for something like that would be. Seams to me Cell Carriers will have to bundle that with cell service and off course this opens up voice over IP. I mean imagine making international calls for free.