View Full Version : SD or CF backup options

stonepro
07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
I have Pocket Backup Plus and -- I might be missing something, but I don't see an option to backup my SD card to the PC...

I'm trying to keep my internal RAM free from storing data files (whatever), but I want this stuff backup up in case my SD card dies -- or I lose my PDA with the card in it.

Any suggestions? Is there something in PocketBackup? Is there something else?

TIA

hoffm11
07-21-2003, 03:56 PM
When you go to select the file to backup to, look for the Storage Card folder and that is your SD card.

Hope this helps.

droppedd
07-21-2003, 03:57 PM
I don't know about PB+, but i know at least in PB, you can theoretically back up the SD card to the SD card :) - you just select it from the list of directories to back up. By default, it's unchecked.

Of course, you could just copy the files straight to your PC to keep them in a folder on your PC, like me (i'm not shelling out for the PB+ when the included PocketBackup (iPaq Backup) does everything else that i need). This has the advantage of giving you files that are readable right away on the PC, not files in .PBF format.

SHoTTa35
07-21-2003, 04:32 PM
why bother doing all that... just simply drag and drop your SD Card folder in explore (from activesync) and that's your backup there. Why bother shell out money to do stuff that's already there.

redifrogger
07-21-2003, 06:32 PM
I'm with you StonePro - I'm demoing PB+ and can't find the option to backup to the PC - maybe a demo thing. I don't know. :? My inherent backup utility is lacking, so I'm thinking about buying this lauded app.

faustus67
07-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Hello,

you have to make sure that the option to exculde non-volatile storage is turned off on your pc. Right click on the "Pocket PC Backup Service" icon by your clock on your PC and select "Options" In the middle-right it has a section entitled "Exclude" with a tick box for Pocket Backup Files and a tick box for "Non-Volatile Storage" Make sure that the box for non-volatile storage is not checked. Then go to your PPC and select the "Storage Card" - I can't quite remember where that is and can't check right now. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see where it is. AFAIR when you start Pocket Backup, it comes up with a list of what to directories to backup, one of which is "Storage Card." I also seem to remember that you need to make the changes on your PC, sync your PPC and then run Pocket Back up on your handheld.
Anyway, I hope my ramblings help a little,

Dave R