View Full Version : Calculator ....

maximus
07-21-2003, 11:48 AM
I spent 30 minutes last night to input the exchange rate of all major currencies into the calculator .... when I am done, I launched a game called argentum, which immediately freezes the axim. Performed a soft reset, go back to calculator ... just to find out that all the exchange rates I inputted are all gone. Why is that ? The exchange rates are stored on the internal memory, right ?

Ed Hansberry
07-21-2003, 12:27 PM
No, they are not stored. They are only there until you do a soft reset. :( If you want a currency converter, you'll need to download one. I think there are some free ones available.

dh
07-21-2003, 12:52 PM
Since exchange rates constantly change there is little point in storing them.
I always use a web based rate calculator, I wonder if there is one optimised for our small screens?

maximus
07-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Since exchange rates constantly change there is little point in storing them.
I always use a web based rate calculator, I wonder if there is one optimised for our small screens?

True, but ballpark figures will be enough for me, just to see how many zero's are involved. I love travelling, and my job requires lots of travelling. One of the biggest annoyance of travelling is, when you see something that you really like/need, but you dont know the price in your own currency.

Let me share you a really silly example. I was at a 3 weeks assignment in the downtown tokyo office in 1997. It was lunch time. All my colleagues are still on a meeting, and I was very very hungry. So I went out of the building, and there is this small noodle house across the street. I went there. a small bowl of ramen noodle (boiled noodle in curry soup) cost 1500 yen. OK, yen are much cheaper than Sin$, I thought. I was really hungry back then, so I ordered a bowl of noodle, and a bottle of sake. The noodle is quite OK, and I was very hungry, so I ordered a second bowl. I am actually still hungry at the end of the second bowl.

Imagine how I felt 10 minutes later, when I found out that my 'noodle in curry water' lunch cost Sin$70 (US$40) ??

Apparently it was a BIG mistake to eat at downtown restaurants. The following day, my colleagues took me to another noodle house, which is 10 minutes away, and a big bowl only cost 400 yen there. They mentioned that only two types of people eat at downtown restaurants: the very rich folks, and the very silly folks. I hate to think that I was the second type :evil:

No, they are not stored. They are only there until you do a soft reset. If you want a currency converter, you'll need to download one. I think there are some free ones available.

Any links for the PPC version ? I found some currency converters, but all of them are for desktop PCs. Thanks.

Ed Hansberry
07-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Any links for the PPC version ? I found some currency converters, but all of them are for desktop PCs. Thanks.

Just go to Handango and search for currency converter in Pocket PC software. Also, if this is just for estimating, you could just use a Pocket Excel spreadsheet.

xerxers
07-21-2003, 03:10 PM
I also travel frequently and by far the best program is Worldmate.

This not only shows the time in many world cities but has a built in currency convertor that updates the currencies whenever you sync so is always current.

It has measurement conversions.

It has clothing / shoe size equivalents ie American, British, Asian etc.

It also has a check list for things to take on your travels so that you don't miss anything.

All around it is a very cool program.

No I do not have anything to do with Mobimate I just like their product.

HTH

http://www.mobimate.com/ppc/worldmate/index.shtml

Xerxers

nosmohtac
07-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Just another option......Mobipocket Reader, also has a currency converter, which updates daily when you sync your Pocket PC.

From looking at this thread, it makes me very happy to be a part of this community and the world of PPC. So much help and knowledge out there, and so many choices. (not that more choices is always good.)

maximus
07-30-2003, 02:44 AM
Updating the currency when I sync ?
Just curious, from what source ?

nosmohtac
07-30-2003, 05:38 AM
I didn't dig any further, so I don't know the source of the exchange info, but here's (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eNews/default.asp) the link.

BTW, I guess this isn't free, the page I linked to says that you need mobipocket pro which is 19.95