View Full Version : ThunderHawk service slowdown?

jkendrick
07-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Has anyone else noticed a marked slowdown in the ThunderHawk service? I've been using them since they first started and in the last 6 weeks or so I've seen a real slowdown in the browsing, longer initial connect times, and dropped connections.

Janak Parekh
07-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Are you using this over GPRS or WiFi? I've noticed it slower on my Pocket PC Phone, but then again, I've found GPRS to be a bit more unstable where I work and travel lately.

--janak

jkendrick
07-21-2003, 01:40 AM
I'm using WIFI exclusively. I've been using them from the first days of their service (first with a Toshiba e740 and now with a e755). I am now seeing difficulty making the initial connection and slow response times at other times. At first it seemed to me that they were just getting more subscribers and maybe that's all it is.

It's definitely getting worse though. More and more dropped connections, too.

Janak Parekh
07-21-2003, 02:50 AM
Hmm... have you tried emailing their support?

--janak

jkendrick
07-21-2003, 04:19 AM
yes, I'm awaiting a response to this. Also have a ticket in for losing the Favorites under WM2003.

jkendrick
08-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Happy to report all my issues with ThunderHawk speed were more than corrected with version 1.08 which brings WM2003 support. It's now lightning fast.

I have a review of it on www.bostonpocketpc.com

Evee Ev
08-14-2003, 03:15 PM
i'm using thunderhawk with a sprint pcs phone and i haven't noticed it to be any faster than PIE.

jkendrick
08-14-2003, 04:19 PM
I use it wirelessly at home via broadband and it's very fast. During the day I use it via ActiveSync through my laptop that is connected with Verison's Express Network and it is almost as fast as broadband because of the way ThunderHawk servers cache on the server side.

Janak Parekh
08-14-2003, 08:54 PM
i'm using thunderhawk with a sprint pcs phone and i haven't noticed it to be any faster than PIE.
Try loading a complex page, preferably with images. That's when it's most noticeable, IMHO.

--janak

disconnected
08-15-2003, 04:21 AM
Does Thunderhawk still have the problem of not sending down the whole page so that you can't scroll up and down through the whole page at the same time?

Janak Parekh
08-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Does Thunderhawk still have the problem of not sending down the whole page so that you can't scroll up and down through the whole page at the same time?
Yes, although it depends on whether you consider it a problem or not. ;)

--janak

Trokair
08-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Aye, they do that intentionally so the entire page doesn't load at once, reducing the amount of data transfered; hence, a somewhat shorter load time. It'd be nice if you could toggle it on or off depending on how you were connected, say, keeping it enabled if I'm using my Motorola 270c on Verizon's regular 14.4K network or turning it off if I suddenly had an Ethernet card and connection around.

-Kyle