View Full Version : Does anyone use GPS receiver on HP IPAQ?

pwanghk
07-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Greetings:

I am wondering if there is anyone here use GPS device (bluetooth or CF) for IPAQ 3970 or 2210 and is happy with the result, either within or out of your township/county/state. Is it as accurate as Mapquest or Mappoint? If so your feedback for the brand, model, price and montly fee would be greatly appreciated.

LaserProUSA
07-20-2003, 12:52 AM
I have the Socket Bluetooth GPS unit that works GREAT with my iPAQ 5555. I just picked up my iPAQ and have been using Mapopolis with my county map for the last week and it is increbible detailed, accurate and has some awesome features.

Such as, instantaneous direction processing, voice command on turns, I purposely went off route to see what would happen and the software created a new route to guide me back onto the correct route. COOL! The interface is clean and easy to read. Connecting to the GPS bluetooth was immediate with access to about 8 satellites and I liked when not having a route that the software would show me my location on the map and display upcoming streets as I approached. An iPAQ, Mapopolis and Socket Bluetooth GPS are an excellent combo.

Both of these are the same unit:
Emtac Specs: http://www.emtac.com/products/bluetooth/
Socket Specs: http://www.socketcom.com/product/GP0804-405.asp

Price compare/shop:
http://www.nextag.com
http://www.pricewatch.com/

msprague
07-20-2003, 12:58 AM
GPS navigation is a hot topic today. The Pocket PC software packages may lag a bit from Mapquest in getting updated with new streets, but otherwise the accuracy is the same as most are based on the same Navtech dataset.

This is a good place to get started with info:
GpsPasSion Overview of Road Navigation Programs (http://www.gpspassion.com/en/software/NavOverview.htm)

Skitals
07-20-2003, 01:16 AM
ipaq 2210 (previously 5455) with socket bluetooth gps and Mapopolis software and maps... I LOVE it. Bluetooth gps is the way to go :D

cgavula
07-20-2003, 01:25 AM
BT doesn't work for all of us, though. Most BT units have batteries that die in about 6 hours. If you are travelling more than 6 hours you really need to use a mouse/puck-based unit since they usually plug into the car lighter AND charges your Ipaq.

You can stop and swap batteries, but it's a pain and in many cases you have little or no warning before they die.

In many cases you can plug in the BT unit, but then what's the point of having it as a BT unit (which are more than puck units, anyway)?

--Chris

seeker
07-20-2003, 02:36 AM
I use the CoPilot Live (vers 4) sleeve with my 3955.

I works quite well and provides excellent map support. The rerouting is very quick (it recalculates within 100 feet of the missed turn). The voice prompts are easy to understand.

The acquisition can be a little slow from cold start but the sleeve works very well and is a valuable addition to my collection of iPaq accessories.
:D

Pony99CA
07-20-2003, 06:15 AM
I use the CoPilot Live (vers 4) sleeve with my 3955.

I works quite well and provides excellent map support. The rerouting is very quick (it recalculates within 100 feet of the missed turn). The voice prompts are easy to understand.

I have an iPAQ 3870 with CoPilot Live and the NavMan sleeve. I like it, for the most part, but it's not perfect.

On my last trip, I wasn't getting voice prompts, so I tried to play around with it another day to see if I could get voice prompts. I tried a re-route/detour button, heard the voice prompt start, and, BANG!, my iPAQ died. It was a hard reset, too. :really mad: I'm glad that didn't happen while I was driving.

If you read my preview of CoPilot Live (http://www.garlic.com/~svvg/reviews/copilotlive4/CoPilotLive4.html), you'll see I also had the software die so badly that I had to uninstall it and reinstall it.

Steve

Skitals
07-20-2003, 08:24 AM
BT doesn't work for all of us, though. Most BT units have batteries that die in about 6 hours. If you are travelling more than 6 hours you really need to use a mouse/puck-based unit since they usually plug into the car lighter AND charges your Ipaq.

You can stop and swap batteries, but it's a pain and in many cases you have little or no warning before they die.

In many cases you can plug in the BT unit, but then what's the point of having it as a BT unit (which are more than puck units, anyway)?

--Chris

Actually, the socket bluetooth gps comes with a cable that charges both the GPS and your ipaq at the same time.

And if you need to plug it in, there are still many advantages to bluetooth.
1. it's universal. It will work with any bluetooth device you have with supporting software. I almost got a sleeve when I had my 5455... if I did that I wouldnt have been able to upgrade to a 2210!
2. some people have reception problems in their car and they cant get a lock on the front dash. What good would this be with a gps sleeve? With bluetooth you cant put it anywhere in the car. Same is true with a mouse, but then you have wires running everywhere.
3. better for hiking. Socket gps comes with a leather case. If you go hiking you can use the gps while keeping it on your belt in the case, or thrown in your bag.

disconnected
07-20-2003, 05:30 PM
I'm using the Fortuna GPSmart bluetooth receiver (plugged into lighter socket) with Mapopolis. I just switched from an iPAQ 3975 to an iPAQ 5555. The only downside to the switch is that the volume on the 5555 is really poor. I'm pretty pleased with Mapopolis, but generally my husband drives and I navigate; I've read that the Routis screens are easier/clearer for the driver to read. I've also read that while Mapopolis is best for local driving, it may not be the best for long-distance travel because of the way it loads maps. GPSPassion.com has lots of articles and forums; it's been really useful for me.

pwanghk
07-21-2003, 04:03 AM
Thank you all for your valuable information and feedback. :D

I am wondering which HP IPAQ series 3800, 3900, 2210 etc will be best (audible and readable screen under direct sunlight) for GPS Receivers

Pony99CA
07-21-2003, 07:30 AM
Actually, the socket bluetooth gps comes with a cable that charges both the GPS and your ipaq at the same time.

[...]

3. better for hiking. Socket gps comes with a leather case. If you go hiking you can use the gps while keeping it on your belt in the case, or thrown in your bag.
For hiking, I'd think the iPAQ in a GPS sleeve would be better. It's a one-piece solution, and it fits great in my iHolster when I'm not carrying it.

No, it's not as flexible as Bluetooth, but I think it could be superior in this use.

Steve

Skitals
07-21-2003, 07:37 AM

[...]

For hiking, I'd think the iPAQ in a GPS sleeve would be better. It's a one-piece solution, and it fits great in my iHolster when I'm not carrying it.

No, it's not as flexible as Bluetooth, but I think it could be superior in this use.

Steve

not if you just upgraded to a 2215 like I did.

Pony99CA
07-21-2003, 08:02 AM

not if you just upgraded to a 2215 like I did.
Even so, I'd think a Compact Flash GPS card would be better for hiking. Put your maps on an SD card and you're good to go.

Plus, other than iPAQs, there are more Pocket PCs out there with both CF and SD slots than there are Pocket PCs with Bluetooth.

Steve

Chris Spera
07-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Even so, I'd think a Compact Flash GPS card would be better for hiking. Put your maps on an SD card and you're good to go.

Plus, other than iPAQs, there are more Pocket PCs out there with both CF and SD slots than there are Pocket PCs with Bluetooth.

Steve

Very true. I have CoPilot 3 (sleeve and software) that I will be putting up for sale soon. Its a great solution, but it just isn't as sensative or accurate as my TomTom GPS system.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

hollis_f
07-21-2003, 01:43 PM

Steve

Including iPAQs there are more PPCs out there with bluetooth than there are with CF slots.

corral_de_manzana
07-21-2003, 02:10 PM
I bought the Mapopolis software with an Emtac BT receiver a couple of weeks ago. While on the whole I am very impressed, the software doesn't seem to know about roundabouts, which we have rather a lot of in the UK (and elsewhere in Europe).

This flaw means that instead of being told (as I should be) to join a roundabout and then to leave it at (say) the 3rd exit, Mapopolis gives me no clear prompt before I enter the roundabout and then tells me to "turn slight left, then turn slight right, then turn slight left" (describing the shape of the road). Accurate, but probably accident inducing since I would not be able to position myself on the correct part of the road if I wasn't sure where I was going.

I believe there will be a new version of Mapopolis soon and hopefully this will be addressed because it lets down an otherwise fine package...

Pony99CA
07-21-2003, 02:11 PM

Including iPAQs there are more PPCs out there with bluetooth than there are with CF slots.
If you're talking about models, until recently, you would be completely wrong. There are two-slot models from Toshiba, Dell, Fujitsu-Siemens (and other smaller players I may have forgotten) -- and now HP. Only HP and Fujitsu make models with Bluetooth, I believe. Now that HP has released five models with Bluetooth, the balance may have swung.

If you're talking about units sold, you may right, but I'd like to see you back that up with sales data. The iPAQ models with Bluetooth are the 3870, 3970, 5450 -- and now the 1930, 1940, 2210, 5150 and 5550. Those and the Loox would have to have outsold all of the other manufacturers and the non-Bluetooth iPAQs put together. (I'm not counting Bluetooth add-ons, of course.)

However, unit sales aren't relevant when you're talking about a single buyer; models available are. With a CF GPS card, you have more choices of manufacturer when buying a Pocket PC and more choices if you decide to get a new Pocket PC. That may change as more manufacturers include Bluetooth, though.

Steve

hollis_f
07-22-2003, 07:51 AM
If you're talking about units sold, you may right, but I'd like to see you back that up with sales data. The iPAQ models with Bluetooth are the 3870, 3970, 5450 -- and now the 1930, 1940, 2210, 5150 and 5550. Those and the Loox would have to have outsold all of the other manufacturers and the non-Bluetooth iPAQs put together

Last bit isn't right. They wouldn't have to have outsold non0Bluetooth iPAQs.

They would have had to outsold all the non-BT, non-iPAQ, machines. That's because (until very recently) the iPAQs didn't have CF cards. I'm not gonna go hunting for figures ('cause I don't care that much). But I'd have a small wager that the total sales of BT equipped units is greater than the total sales of non-iPAQ units.

Skitals
07-22-2003, 08:05 AM
I dont care about how many models this or that. I fell in love with bluetooth when I had my 5455 and will never own a pocket pc that doesnt have it in the future. Plus, you can bet future bluetooth smartphones will have simple gps software thanks to 3rd party development... and i doubt there will be any smartphones or devices smaller then a pocket pc with a cf slot.

playstation 3 is going to have bluetooth. I can see it now... homebrew gps software for the in-car ps3 :)

Ok, maybe i'm a dreamer.

Oh, and am I not correct that the ONLY gps solution for the 1940 is bluetooth? No cf slot, no expansion sleeves, and no serial port (no mouse gps).

Come on, if they were all the same price we all know most people would go for the tiny bluetooth gps reciever. Some people just dont have the money to blow... im glad and lucky i do :D

Pony99CA
07-22-2003, 08:14 AM
If you're talking about units sold, you may right, but I'd like to see you back that up with sales data. The iPAQ models with Bluetooth are the 3870, 3970, 5450 -- and now the 1930, 1940, 2210, 5150 and 5550. Those and the Loox would have to have outsold all of the other manufacturers and the non-Bluetooth iPAQs put together
Last bit isn't right. They wouldn't have to have outsold non0Bluetooth iPAQs.

That's a good point, but I guess I figured many iPAQ owners probably bought a Compact Flash sleeve (or PC Card sleeve). Of course, if I count that, I'd also have to count people with non-Bluetooth Pocket PCs that bought Bluetooth adapters.

It would be interesting to see sales from last year (before the new iPAQs came out) to see whether all the Dell and two-slot Toshiba machines outsold the Bluetooth iPAQs (3870, 3970 and 5450). Thanks to Dell's entry, it wouldn't surprise me.

Steve

Pony99CA
07-22-2003, 08:22 AM
Come on, if they were all the same price we all know most people would go for the tiny bluetooth gps reciever.
And if a BMW Z-8 cost the same as my Mustang, I would have gotten the BMW. :lol:

Seriously, even if a Bluetooth GPS device cost the same as my GPS sleeve, I wouldn't get it. I like the convenience of my GPS sleeve; it's like only carrying my Pocket PC with me.

If Bluetooth GPS cost the same as a CF GPS card, I might get the Bluetooth, but for a different reason. The Bluetooth GPS device wouldn't tie up my CF slot, allowing me to have more memory in my Pocket PC. If the Bluetooth GPS box also had a screen, allowing it to serve as a stand-alone device, that would increase my likelihood of getting it, even if the device was larger because of the screen.

Steve

msprague
07-22-2003, 12:59 PM
If the Bluetooth GPS box also had a screen, allowing it to serve as a stand-alone device, that would increase my likelihood of getting it, even if the device was larger because of the screen.

Steve

You mean like the Fortuna Bluetooth GPSmart (http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=GPSBT&Category_Code=GR)?
It performs similar functions to a standalone GPS like the Garmin Etrex and is also a bluetooth reciever for use with other devices.

Pony99CA
07-22-2003, 01:13 PM
If the Bluetooth GPS box also had a screen, allowing it to serve as a stand-alone device, that would increase my likelihood of getting it, even if the device was larger because of the screen.

You mean like the Fortuna Bluetooth GPSmart (http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=GPSBT&Category_Code=GR)?
That's exactly the one I meant. I didn't mention it by name because there might be others.

Steve

SassKwatch
07-23-2003, 03:58 AM

I think that depends on which CF based GPSr is purchased. IMO, the single most limiting factor to hiking w/ electronics is battery power. If we're talking about one of the various CF 'sleeve' type models with it's own battery in the sleeve, then possibly. But a model that goes straight into the CF slot of the PPC is gonna drain batteries in a heartbeat.

The BT Emtac will get a good 5-6 hr of use on it's own batteries.....leaving the PPC free of that burden. I would assume other BT models would equal that.

spaceman
07-23-2003, 05:10 AM
I just go the Socket BT GPS receiver to work with Mapopolis and ipaq 3870. Works great. I fully agree with LaserProUSA's assessment. Got it from Amazon for $308. If you order electronics over $250, you get a $50 coupon in 6-8 wks, cutting the cost of the Socket BT GPS to a reasonable $258 + free shipping.

Now I am shopping for a PDA mount. Looking at the Seido or Arkon. They have multimedia features. Seido has one with built-in speaker to amplify the PDA audio output. Arkon has one that re-transmit the PDA audo to your FM radio.

By the way, what kind of maps and PPC application are good for hiking? Mapopolis is for driving on roads and cities.

SassKwatch
07-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Now I am shopping for a PDA mount. Looking at the Seido or Arkon. They have multimedia features. Seido has one with built-in speaker to amplify the PDA audio output. Arkon has one that re-transmit the PDA audo to your FM radio
Arkon also has one that works as you describe the Seido. In fact, I'd bet their manufactured by the same company and just branded by Seido/Arkon.

By the way, what kind of maps and PPC application are good for hiking?
A few possibilities...
* DeLorme makes some topo maps...though I've heard/read little about them. Also not sure if they have a mechanism to read maps from the PPC.
* OziExplorer (and it's ppc counterpart: OziCE) is a popular app, but requires one to find/build your own maps.
* Maptech has a very nice, albeit not cheap, topo solution. Purchase their PPC application and then purchase individual states topo maps. They are also about to launch a suscription service called 'Outdoor Navigator'. It has actually been available for the Palm platform for some time, but it is due very soon for PPC as well.

You may want to take a buzz through GPSPassion (http://www.gpspassion.com). Some excellent coverage of PocketPC GPS stuff.

gorkon280
07-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Radio Shack has it's Digitraveler GPS solution on clearance for 50 bucks. Yep you heard it! 50 bucks! I have the PDA version and if I find a laptop version I may pick it up just fo rthe cable (or if I find just the cable that would be ok too). Only downside to it is there's no way to charge the ipaq at the same time. I CAN and DO have enough battery power for a full days drive so that does not bother me. As far as directiosn go, I am intending on setting something up wiht a iRock FM transmitter to transmit it to my stereo. One solution for the power issue is to cut one of the other cables (who needs the palm connector it came with?) and solder it on the appropriate pins. Pin outs are available and it's only 3 connections to a dsub 9 to get back to regular serial. Then get a Autosync cable (the one with serial and USB and POWER connections), gender bender, and hook them all up. There's power for the ipaq in the ipaq's connector. You can also try a delios power/serial cable and it generally works as well (it outputs power on a pin that's supposed to drive the delios unit, but it is not connected on the Digitravler and there's no problems with it either). Who ever decided to integrate the power all through the serial connector should be shot. That's one thing Toshiba did right. IN any case, the digitravler comes with Delorme Xmap for handhelds and it works rather well, if slow. Of course that may be the 12 MB map I created! :) Wish S&T 2004 would have added routing to the PPC version, but alas it has not....but the 15 second between fixes is FIXED! Real time operation is available on S&T 2004. First true test will be labor day weekend. Don't really need it for where I am gonig, but everyone in the car will appreciate having up to date position and the abilty I will have to see what restaurant is at the next exit befor the sign shows up! :)