View Full Version : Need Help

Enderet
07-19-2003, 10:58 PM
I am currently looking into setting up a wireless network in my home. I have two notebooks, 1 desktop, and one PPC(hp 2210). I am currently looking at the Linksys devices but would like some feedback before purchasing anything.

My main concern is if the following is feasible.

Have 1 rj45 going from my DSL router to my desktop and have an access point going from the router too. Thus I would connect my desktop directly to the router, while my two notebooks and my PPC are connected via wireless.

Is this possible? Does anyone have a network setup in a similar fashion?

Also, if anyone has a newb guide to the whole wireless subject and could direct me to it I would be very grateful.

Thanks for your time.

Sven Johannsen
07-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Can't quite tell from your post if that is what you have, or are thinking of doing. I have numerous Linksys products including routers, switches, APs and network cards. I find them easy to set, and they seem very reliable. There have been some complaints about tech support, but I have had decent experiences with them. It is worth your time to check their site periodically for firmware updates to your devices as they do update them frequently.

What you listed seems reasonable. If your DSL connection has a single ethernet connection, I would consider Linksys's Router/AP/4 port Switch combo. It can be had typically for around $100 and would meet all your requirements. If the DSL box has an integrated router/switch, just go for the Linksys AP. It is also around $100.

Incidentally, I have had no problems connecting various brands CF and PCCard Wifi cards to the Linksys APs, including Symbol, D-Link, Belkin, and Orinoco. My wife's Dell with built in WiFi and my Motion Tablet (with WiFi) also have no problem. All at 128B encryption. I have'nt moved past 802.11B incidentally since the WiFi speeds aren't the bottleneck in the house, the ISP connection is, even with a cable modem.

tourdewolf
07-20-2003, 03:04 AM
Check out practicallynetworked.com, they have a wealth of info on the subject including specs and such on most mainstream hardware.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com

Pony99CA
07-20-2003, 04:47 AM
My main concern is if the following is feasible.

Have 1 rj45 going from my DSL router to my desktop and have an access point going from the router too. Thus I would connect my desktop directly to the router, while my two notebooks and my PPC are connected via wireless.
It certainly sounds feasible, but is there a reason you want a separate router and access point? A combined router/access point would take less space, unless you want the router at a level where you can see it while having the access point mounted higher for better coverage (not that that really makes sense to me -- if the coverage is spherical, I think you'd want the access point at the same height your remote antenna would be at).

Steve

Enderet
07-20-2003, 06:23 AM
Thanks to all who have replied.

Steve, this "combined router/access point" exists? Sorry for my ignorance but I am completely new to all of this. If something like that does exist then that wouild be great.

What i want is to have my two notebooks wireless, while having my desktop connected via wire.

Janak Parekh
07-20-2003, 06:30 AM
Steve, this "combined router/access point" exists? Sorry for my ignorance but I am completely new to all of this. If something like that does exist then that wouild be great.
Absolutely -- it's the most common item. Sven was talking about this unit (http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=415).

--janak