View Full Version : Comcast with 2003 Inbox

radioflyer7
07-18-2003, 04:58 PM
I am a Comcast email user with a iPAQ 2210 on a wi-fi connection. Using Inbox, i am able to send and receive email at home (on the comcast connection) just fine. At work (on a different ISP), the send function does not work!! It just sits in the outbox and complains about connection... :bad-words:

I am aware of some disscussion about Comcast not providing SSL and/or SMTP. I can't be the only unsatisfied Comcast person, right? The posts were pre-Mobile 2003. Is this still true? Is there a way to make this work at all with 2003 Inbox?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Here is the discussion referenced:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10485&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Steven

dh
07-18-2003, 05:46 PM
I use WebIS Mail with my Comcast account both at home and with T-Mobile HotSpots when traveling.

I've set set the outgoing mail server to smpt.comcast.net and it works fine with the T-Mobile network.

This is on PPC2002, I hope it works with 2003 as well when I get my Dell upgrade.

SHoTTa35
07-18-2003, 06:40 PM
I am a Comcast email user with a iPAQ 2210 on a wi-fi connection. Using Inbox, i am able to send and receive email at home (on the comcast connection) just fine. At work (on a different ISP), the send function does not work!! It just sits in the outbox and complains about connection... :bad-words:

I am aware of some disscussion about Comcast not providing SSL and/or SMTP. I can't be the only unsatisfied Comcast person, right? The posts were pre-Mobile 2003. Is this still true? Is there a way to make this work at all with 2003 Inbox?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Here is the discussion referenced:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10485&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Steven

Well odds are, it wont work... many ISPs (including mine) only allow sending email from the IPs they own. People abused that by using someonelses SMTP servers to send tons of junk email (usually how it's done) So you have to be on their IP (aka at home) to use the SMTP server. Some (like mine) allow you to connect from a different IP only if you are sending email to a person on their domain. Say, someone else @comcast.net. But trying to send from your comcast to say yahoo wont work! You have to find a public SMTP or use your works SMTP to send email.

radioflyer7
07-18-2003, 08:42 PM
You know, I think I've just disproved my own assumption/theory about Comcast not supporting SMTP coming from other ISP. On my computer at work I am able to use Outlook and Eudora to connect SMTP... Doh!

I am looking around in the few menu choices in Inbox 2003 for some SMTP configuration and can't find any. What am I blatantly missing?

:?

racerx
07-18-2003, 09:10 PM
You know, I think I've just disproved my own assumption/theory about Comcast not supporting SMTP coming from other ISP. On my computer at work I am able to use Outlook and Eudora to connect SMTP... Doh!

I am looking around in the few menu choices in Inbox 2003 for some SMTP configuration and can't find any. What am I blatantly missing?

:?
You're not missing anything. There are very few settings that you can touch in the Inbox app - very limiting in some cases. If people are able to use their Comcast SMTP server even when they are not connected through Comcast, it is because Comcast is authenticating you through the username/password you entered in Inbox. Other ISPs may not let you do this. You may have to look at using an email app like nPOP to facilitate this.

semyon
09-22-2003, 07:07 PM
You can also try the public smtp server at http://smtp.com, which will work from anywhere without smtp authentication, but does cost about $4 per month.

Semyon