View Full Version : Order problem with student discount on 2210.

jd4science
07-16-2003, 10:12 PM
Hi. I have tried ordering the 2210 with the student discount online but can't. First time, I waited almost a week, called, and they said there was an error in my order. They told me to re-order, and I did. Now it's almost a week later and I still haven't gotten my confirmation email. :evil: Any ideas what to do? This is getting old. Also, can I get my student discount through a retail "brick and mortor" store?

Justin

Kati Compton
07-16-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi. I have tried ordering the 2210 with the student discount online but can't. First time, I waited almost a week, called, and they said there was an error in my order. They told me to re-order, and I did. Now it's almost a week later and I still haven't gotten my confirmation email. :evil: Any ideas what to do? This is getting old.
Not that this is necessarily the best way to handle it, but if I were in your situation, I'd call them back, say this is the second time you've been through this, and have them put through the order at the discounted price right then if you need to reorder. Also get the name of the person you're talking to, and if you feel the person you're talking to is not being sufficiently helpful, ask for a supervisor.

midili
07-16-2003, 10:24 PM
I called them 4 days after placing the order becuase I had not gotten my confirmation e-mail and was told by the CSR that my device was in manufacturing and should be done on Monday or Tuesday. I received the item on Tuesday. I never did get a confirmation e-mail...

The student price is too good to pass up (IMHO), call them for a status.

Jeff

rpommier
07-16-2003, 10:48 PM
I ordered a replacement Monday. The guy on the phone said they had moved the orderes to another division. You need to call and follow up... I've received my confirmation. Call them.

jd4science
07-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Great. I just took Kati's advice, and called Hp. It turnes out the my school has to actually order it, and I pay them. Has anyone else that has ordered with this dicsount had to do this? I'm only in 9th grade now, and I would be surprised if my school would do it. Any ideas now? :cry:

Kati Compton
07-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Great. I just took Kati's advice, and called Hp. It urnes out the my school has to actually order it, and I pay them. Has anyone else that has ordered with this dicsount had to do this? I'm only in 9th grade now, and I would be surprised if my school would do it. Any ideas now? :cry:
I'm not sure how it works for k-12. I believe for college level, you can just order it yourself. Got any older siblings?

That sucks, though. I mean, they could have told you the FIRST time.

jd4science
07-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Nope, I don't. It really bugs me too, because I'm PPC-less. I sold my Axim to get this great deal, and now I can't! Thanks a lot, HP...

jd4science
07-16-2003, 10:59 PM
BTW, has anyone else in K-12 had to have there school order it? I don't remember that in the huge thread about it...

Kati Compton
07-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Nope, I don't. It really bugs me too, because I'm PPC-less. I sold my Axim to get this great deal, and now I can't! Thanks a lot, HP...
Hmmm... Well, it might depend on who you actually end up talking to, but you could try the "angry consumer" routine (though not so angry you make them not care), where you explain that the first time you called and were told to reorder, the person didn't mention the restriction. So you were mislead into selling your old unit under the assumption that you would get the new ipaq. Then tell them that if you aren't able to get the student discount, you'll only be able to afford an Axim....

Probably won't work, though. Depending on what you feel your time is worth, if it fails the first time, you may want to call back a couple times to see if you can reach a more helpful person....

But if that first person were doing their job right, they would have told you then at least.

rpommier
07-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Why don't you try going through the Higher Education link? That's what I used, yes, I'm a student. I don't see the other scenerio happening. Your school purchasing them and then you in turn purchasing from the school.

Technically you aren't higher education, but then again I don't really believe HP expects a cash strapped public school to pony up for Ipaqs to resale to students either.

Anyhow, let your morals guide you... You can always get an Axim though, and those don't seem to shabby either.

Kati Compton
07-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Why don't you try going through the Higher Education link? That's what I used, yes, I'm a student. I don't see the other scenerio happening. Your school purchasing them and then you in turn purchasing from the school.
But are you K-12? For Higher Ed I think they either require you to have an .edu email address (which jd4science may have... it's been a while since I was in high school, so I don't know where they're at technologically) or to verify where you're a student.

rpommier
07-16-2003, 11:52 PM
But are you K-12? For Higher Ed I think they either require you to have an .edu email address (which jd4science may have... it's been a while since I was in high school, so I don't know where they're at technologically) or to verify where you're a student.

I'm not K-12, I do go to school and am in the USAF, so Higher Education and Federal Gov't. I ended up calling HP and they verified me over the phone. There's another thread on here about ordering the 2210. The guy I talked to on the phone, Dan I believe, said they were in the process of moving the ordering of those to another office/branch I believe.

If I were you jd4science I would call HP's education support number and nicely explain my situation. Here's the number I called to get help:

1-800-696-4662

Once you order, call them with your web authorization number. Maybe you got someone on the phone and they misunderstood how the program worked. Perfectly possible, we've all been mistaken before... Give it a shot.

Excalliber
07-17-2003, 04:15 AM
I'm also in 9th Grade, and ordered mine through the educational store, though I never had the issue of the conformation email. Everything went smoothly from the online ordering, even though I was forced to leave many of the fields blank, with no question as to what school I attend. It's on it's way now...

I guess I was lucky to avoid the massive crunch of orders after they were changing servers, or they entered it by hand immediatly after I sent it to them. I saw the link for K-12 students on the right, but ignored it, as I wanted the lower price (the student store said $359, or something close to that). So i went to the K-12 dropdown menu, selected buy online, and chose the national educational pricing after selecting the state.

After that, I just checked out normally, but left alot of the fields either blank, or put an N/A... I can't beleive they accepted N/A for the PO# :lol: . So currently I'm staring at the UPS site, watching the package crawl from Indianapolis to Bloomington...

Edit: BTW, it's shipping to my home address. They never got which school (or the address of it, for that matter) that I was/am attending.

jd4science
07-17-2003, 04:51 AM
You know what? I just figured I'm am so tired of this I'm not gonna buy it through HP. I am goning to make sure my order is cacelled, then buy a brand new one on Ebay. This is because, even with all of your help, I don't want to go through this agian. Anyway, thanks, all!

solus
07-17-2003, 08:22 AM
This will probably work. Call govconnection.com. The number is 1-800-800-0019. When you go through the touch-tones and whatnot, you'll get to the proper sales rep. If your interested in the 2210, tell them that you are a student - give them your school name (they asked for my school name, address, and some stuff you _should_ know if you are a student or teacher [would be on your school webpage] ), and then they will give you a price quote. The first quote they give you may be like $363 or $383, or some other equivalently meager discount. Just mention that you've heard that you can get the 2210 direct from HP for $293 with their educational program... GovConnection then acts as an intermediary between you and company to get the educational discounts. This way you order from GovConnection, and they do all the educational mess for you :wink: and you get your brand spankin' new 2210 for $293. I don't think they charge shipping either, but I'm not sure. Still trying to decide between 2210 and 5550.

For future reference for students, anything you see on pcconnection.com can be ordered through govconnection.com with a student discount. They share the same warehouse and part numbers... so if you know the part number of what you're looking for, you can give the sales rep that number and you can go from there.

Hope this helps!

-Tarak Upadhyaya

Rocketeer
10-14-2003, 07:57 PM
I just ordered my 2210 through an "inside sales representative" from HP and paid only $254. :D I couldn't pass up that deal. I guess our company negotiated that great price for the employees because we buy exclusively from HP for our computer needs. (I work for a large company) :?: