View Full Version : Mac Users Rejoice! Missing Sync Released

Jason Dunn
07-16-2003, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.markspace.com/pocketpc.html' target='_blank'>http://www.markspace.com/pocketpc.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Mark/Space, Inc. announces the first third party iSync conduit offering support for iCal™ and Address Book synchronization in the upcoming release of Missing Sync for Pocket PC. Missing Sync for Pocket PC enables Mac users to connect and synchronize information between a Pocket PC handheld and a Mac running Mac OS X and iSync version 1.1. Missing Sync for Pocket PC is the only product that integrates your Pocket PC handheld with iTunes™ and iPhoto™, as well as synchronizes calendar items, to do items and contacts with the iCal and Address Book applications. From within iTunes your handheld and memory cards show up as an MP3 player, where you can add and remove audio files by simply dragging and dropping. From within iPhoto you can export and resize photos for optimal viewing on a Pocket PC handheld."<br /><br />I'm not a Mac user, but I have to admit I'm a little jealous of the fact that this actually does MORE than ActiveSync. How typical. :roll: :lol:

Janak Parekh
07-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Maybe we have to convince them to build a version for Windows. 8O :lol:

--janak

hamishmacdonald
07-16-2003, 07:31 PM
It's got to beat that PoS PocketMac, which was very expensive, and even in its second version was the only application that could completely lock up OS X.

After seven years using Macs, I switched to a PC so my desktop would work with my Pocket PC. The handheld was always more important to me than my desktop. Maybe that's because it's what allows me to work away from home and have all the information I need with me at all times.

Kudos to the company that created this app. This could be a Very Big Thing.

Saaby
07-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Glad to see it's out. I, uh, did a 'trial' of PocketMac and wasn't compelled to purchase it. Didn't work with my Axim at all. It could tell an Axim was plugged in but that was about it.

Been waiting for this for a couple of months (I switched to Mac in about March.) Now my only Windows void is void no more. (I'm not a gamer ;) )

JackTheTripper
07-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Perfect! Just in time for purchasing my wife her PDA to go with her pBook. :D

surur
07-16-2003, 08:02 PM
From within iTunes your handheld and memory cards show up as an MP3 player, where you can add and remove audio files by simply dragging and dropping.

I'm not a Mac user, but I have to admit I'm a little jealous of the fact that this actually does MORE than ActiveSync. How typical. :roll: :lol:

Just to correct this, I believe pocketpc's show up in WMP as a portable player also, and with WMA files can do dynamic trans-coding to reduce the file sizes (and quality) on the fly... so its not all *that* bad

Surur

Ed Hansberry
07-16-2003, 08:32 PM
Just to correct this, I believe pocketpc's show up in WMP as a portable player also, and with WMA files can do dynamic trans-coding to reduce the file sizes (and quality) on the fly... so its not all *that* bad
Correct, and that is nothing new either. This has been the case since WMP 7.x and Pocket PC 2000. And, as always, you can just drag to an explorer window in the Pocket PC directly from your MP3/WMP file folder. The only bad thing about WMP->PPC connectivity is it only works via USB. If you are connected to ActiveSync via IR or ethernet (and presumably bluetooth) WMP cannot see your Pocket PC. :?

Jason Dunn
07-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Just to correct this, I believe pocketpc's show up in WMP as a portable player also, and with WMA files can do dynamic trans-coding to reduce the file sizes (and quality) on the fly... so its not all *that* bad.

Right. But what desktop photo application does ActiveSync interface with? :wink:

mr_Ray
07-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Right. But what desktop photo application does ActiveSync interface with? :wink:

Closest I know of is the picture resizer in WinXP powertools.

Select the files, right click - resize pictures, select Pocket PC filesize.

Well, it's close. :D

James Fee
07-16-2003, 09:09 PM
Any Media Player for PPC that supports AAC? I have tons of songs I've downloaded from Apple Music, but AFAIK there is not AAC player for PPC. Please prove me wrong... :D

Ed Hansberry
07-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Any Media Player for PPC that supports AAC? I have tons of songs I've downloaded from Apple Music, but AFAIK there is not AAC player for PPC. Please prove me wrong... :D
Can't you burn those to a CD then rip them on your PC or Mac as MP3 or WMA?

Macguy59
07-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Finally! :D But what about syncing of web sites like Avantgo?

Chris Spera
07-16-2003, 09:23 PM

Yes, you can; but why?? doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of AAC?

Unfortunately, Pocket PC/WMP does not support AAC at this time. I'm not sure that it ever will. However, other 3rd party players might support this format in the future.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Ed Hansberry
07-16-2003, 09:34 PM

Yes, you can; but why?? doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of AAC?
Well, so you can play it on your Pocket PC. What are the advantages of AAC over WMA when it comes to listening on your PPC?

James Fee
07-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Well the integration with iTunes sounds really cool. I've downloaded tons of songs from Apple Music and all those are AAC (copy protected). I would rather them be MP3, but I have to work with what Apple gives me.

Ed Hansberry
07-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Well the integration with iTunes sounds really cool. I've downloaded tons of songs from Apple Music and all those are AAC (copy protected). I would rather them be MP3, but I have to work with what Apple gives me.
Right, I understand that, but if you burn the AAC to CD then RIP it to MP3, you haven't deleted your AAC and now the MP3s can be placed on your PPC. The only thing you lose here is hard drive space.

What I am hearing is "Well, AAC integration is cool, but I can't listen to it on my PPC, so never mind." :?:

klinux
07-16-2003, 10:15 PM
I am not at home but I can't wait to purchase this right away and sync my PPC to my iBook!

Ed: Yes, that is always an option to go form AAC--> WAV/AIFF --> MP3 but that is one extra step and reencoding a compress stream to another always means degradation in quality (in theory).

However, my 20gb iPod takes care of that problem.

James Fee
07-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Right, I understand that, but if you burn the AAC to CD then RIP it to MP3, you haven't deleted your AAC and now the MP3s can be placed on your PPC. The only thing you lose here is hard drive space.

What I am hearing is "Well, AAC integration is cool, but I can't listen to it on my PPC, so never mind." :?:
Ah, I understand what you are asking. As what klinux said, I'd rather just leave them in their own format. In my experience, converting AAC to CD and then to MP3 causes the file to sound worse than it does as a AAC file. Not sure if the is intentional or not on Apple's part. You don't have to use AAC with iTunes so the conduit to the program is worth it to me since I do have most of my stuff as MP3. I was more interested in seeing if there was a AAC player for PPC so I would not have to convert them and lost the quality that already exists on them. I have an iPod so listening to AAC on my PPC isn't really important, just curious if its possible....

Stake
07-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Music can also be transfered to your PPC via Windows Media Player 9. It's just deadly slowww. It shows total length and size before you start transfering so you don't over do it on your memory card.

Take a look by docking your PPC and click "Copy to CD or device" in WMP9 on the left of the player.

Just a tip.

James Fee
07-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Except WMP9 does not exist for the Mac...

sponge
07-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Ed: And you lose a whole lot of CDs :P (Just felt the need to nitpick)

acronym
07-17-2003, 12:04 AM
well - just got home purchased and downloaded missing sync.
FINALLY !
seemless calendar/address book syncronization with my desktop G4
seemless integration with .mac

the install was flawless. make sure the ppc is not connected, install software, restart and connect the axim. Immediately recognized and quickly added to isync (had to manually scan - tho')

I don't use my ppc for photos or music, but the volume mount worked well, files transferred (albeit a little slow). A sample text document wouldn't open in pocket word, but I'll work on that.

for those that haven't heard of it, .mac uses isync to syncronize multiple computers over an internet connection (actually, you information is on your .mac storage space, and the calendar can be published public/private on your personal webspace). So my work computer and home computer can share my address book and calendar (plus bookmarks).
-edit- oh, and my phone (t68) gets its contacts/events through isync

cgavula
07-17-2003, 02:11 AM
I just downloaded it onto my Powerbook G4 and tried to sync with my Ipaq 5555 - no go. tried with my Ipaq 5455 - no go. So far it's no better than PocketMac was. I expect that these guys will probably do a better job fixing it, though - at least I hope so.

After I couldn't get it working, I checked on their forums and it seems that 5555 syncing isn't working yet and they are at Macworld so it will be probably a week or better before we get a working version.

I'm sure, in time, they will get this working on a wider variety of devices.

--Chris

UPDATE: I got it working on a 5455, but no go for the 5555. Their forums show a number of users having the same problem so I'm sure it will be addressed soon.

Stake
07-17-2003, 02:29 AM
My WMP reference was in response to the iTunes/PPC sync for the Mac. Just saying that a PC equivelent existed.

bmhome1
07-17-2003, 02:53 AM
Mac users will need to understand that ROM updates, OS updates like PPC2003 will still need access to a PC. Also, I'm not convinced that most applications can be installed dropping CAB files, indeed .exe installers won't open on a Mac without using Virtual PC, my choice for the full, real functionality of a PPC running on a PC OS.

James Fee
07-17-2003, 03:21 AM
My WMP reference was in response to the iTunes/PPC sync for the Mac. Just saying that a PC equivelent existed.
Thats fine. Its new on the Mac side and those who have macs at home are looking forward to it.

Others are correct in that this product won't let you drop you PC, but the ability to sync with my Mac, more than makes up for that issue. Virtual PC is great, but its not $30.

ExtremeSIMS
07-17-2003, 05:23 AM
I have access to a Windows PC both at work and at home, but my primary machines (other than gaming and Visio/Project work) are both Mac OS X-based PCs. This software is a great boon - and PocketMac told me yesterday they are coming out with a new version as well.

Works as promised - syncing now!

RichS
07-17-2003, 05:48 AM
Finally! :D But what about syncing of web sites like Avantgo?

You can turn on Internet sharing on the Mac, then sync to Avantgo via the Avantgo option in Settings/Conections. This works fine with Missing Sync and Pocket PC 2002 on my Axim

Don't know if it's possible to get this to work in Mobile 2003.

marlof
07-17-2003, 05:57 AM
In my experience, converting AAC to CD and then to MP3 causes the file to sound worse than it does as a AAC file.

That will be the case with any of these compressed format that you uncompress, and then compress again to rerip in another compressed format. The reason is that the first compression format is less detailed than the original file, and the second compression format will choose yet some more details to be lost.

marlof
07-17-2003, 05:57 AM

Yet.

marlof
07-17-2003, 05:59 AM
In the next week, I'll be doing a review of Missing Sync for the Pocket PC, so if you're curious about how it works in real life, stay tuned.

stevenf
07-17-2003, 07:13 AM
I bought Missing Sync for PocketPC today too. So far, works fabulously with my Toshiba e755. Hooray! With iSync, this is really wonderful. I update my calendar or to-dos at work, they magically update on my PowerBook when I get home, and now they can magically show up on my PocketPC too. It all just works. Great stuff.

Saaby
07-17-2003, 07:34 AM
Heck, the software even inspired me to write my first ever AppleScript

Run Application "Missing Sync Pocket PC"
Run Application "iSync"

Now I just run the script and launch the 2 apps with half the clicks. It's a bit slower since they don't both launch at the same time but, eh, what you going to do...

unxmully
07-17-2003, 01:13 PM

Yet.

Why would anyone want it? iTunes does the job perfectly well and when they sort out the purchase of content in areas outside the US, no Apple user is ever going to look at it other than to see what kind of DRM hell Microsoft introduce.

If anything, Microsoft should be worried about what the iTunes model will do to their foothold in that market once Apple get a version for Windows out.

Andy

James Fee
07-17-2003, 03:30 PM

Yet.
Don't issue threats like that... 8O :lol:

shockidelica
07-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Somebody mentioned that there were forums for the product somewhere. I can't seem to find them on the company's web site. Can you provide a link as to where I might find these?

Thanks!

klinux
07-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Syncing is verrrrry sloooow for me (with Dell). I have not tried it but the fact it says the software is per device bugs me (I have three PPCs).

acronym
07-17-2003, 07:01 PM
the sync is not really slow at all for me. I don't think it is much different than standard isync/itools syncing. Now, i'll admit that I'm only syncing about 100 contacts and maybe 150 events.

I think the forum, per se, is the mailing list. I've subscribed and seen a couple devices not being recognized, and people not uninstalling pocket mac having problems.

klinux
07-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Also.... has anyone of you here synced to Mac and then synced back to PC running Outlook XP (On WinXP Pro)? I am not getting good results...

bmhome1
07-17-2003, 11:28 PM
MissingSyncPC forum:

http://lists.markspace.com/pipermail/missing-sync-pocketpc-talk/2003-July/thread.html

Can someone explain how a Mac user extracts .CAB files from PPC .exe installers to install applications using MissingSync (assuming they don't have access to a PC)?

Found answer: PPC version of Handago site has CAB files available:

http://mobile.handango.com/ppc/PlatformSoftwareSection.jsp?siteId=368&jid=6D761164931F828834X61CD729BBBB28&bySection=1&platformId=2&catalog=30&sectionId=3223&title=OverTheAir

Not extensive archive, especially lacking in freeware.

lisantica
07-20-2003, 02:04 AM
I was looking for this software over on Handango. Are they offering it there? I have a gift certificate I'd like to use for this software.
Thanks,
Lisa