View Full Version : backup battery gone wacko

lilleninni
07-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Hey.
last weekend i kinda left my axim in my purse all weekend (in it's case) while I was at my parents' house. didn't even think about it. when I got home on sunday night the battery had gone dead and so had the backup battery. so I panicked. started charging and resyncing and checking out all the axim forums i could find to figure out how to replace the backup, since it was told to be non-rechargeable...

after a while i took out the backup battery to see if it looked like anything i would be able to find here in norway, and when i put it back in, all of a sudden it was up to 60%!!!! after a few more hours both batteries were back up to 100 %...
what's that all about...

since sunday it also appears the main battery does not lose charge at all. i spent the day at work occasionally chatting on messenger via GPRS, and the main battery was still at 100 % when i got home, and the backup back down to 90%...

does anybody know what causes these mysteries, and whether or not i should trust the meters to tell me the truth about my battery capacity?

i only use the basic features that came with the axim, no extra stuff.

PetiteFlower
07-17-2003, 02:30 AM
You should be able to get a new backup battery at Radio Shack or similar store; it's just a big watch battery, it shouldn't be hard to find. I'd try that first. You might also want to try updating your ROM if you don't have the latest version; they improved the battery monitor in version A02.

Brad Adrian
07-17-2003, 03:27 AM
There have been numerous reports of problems with the battery monitors with the Axim. I downloaded and installed their ROM update (http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=0&OS=PPC&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=PDA_AXIM_X5&DeviceID=4434) and it really seemed to help.