View Full Version : Problem with PPC Thoughts Mobile Forums

piperpilot
07-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Here's a weird problem that I've noticed when browsing the mobile forums on this site with my iPAQ 5455. When following a thread with multiple pages, I have noticed that the first couple of pages are formatted perfectly for my screen, but as I go deeper into the thread, the formatting gradually widens as the page numbers increase, thereby necessitating that I scroll left and right in order to read the posts. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there something I can do to remedy this problem?

maximus
07-17-2003, 01:56 AM
my condition is worse. i never got the formatted page eventhough i already clicked 'fit to screen'. scrolling left and right for each lines is becoming a habit these days. once i heard of a browser that can do landscape viewing...

PetiteFlower
07-17-2003, 02:04 AM
You have to subscribe to get the formatted mobile forums.

maximus
07-18-2003, 12:45 AM
oh, the mobile forum subscription thing is up already? since when?

EvilOne
07-18-2003, 01:01 AM
at least what two weeks now! :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
07-18-2003, 04:36 AM
Yes, I think it was the Monday before last. See this link (www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php) for all the details. :)

--janak

maximus
07-18-2003, 12:49 PM
That's why I felt that i am missing something during this 3 weeks trip ...

nosmohtac
07-29-2003, 09:28 AM
I'm a subscriber (like I needed to type that) :lol:
and I don't get the formatted forums.
What's up with that?

dh
07-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Here's a weird problem that I've noticed when browsing the mobile forums on this site with my iPAQ 5455. When following a thread with multiple pages, I have noticed that the first couple of pages are formatted perfectly for my screen, but as I go deeper into the thread, the formatting gradually widens as the page numbers increase, thereby necessitating that I scroll left and right in order to read the posts. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there something I can do to remedy this problem?

The problem is caused by the formating of url links. The forum software does not seem to wrap long urls so they appear in a long line, causing the left/right scrolling. It just takes one to mess up the formating of the whole page.

I'm sure I read once that this would be fixed so hopefully it will be better in the future.

CTSLICK
07-29-2003, 01:49 PM
What's up with that?

Make sure that you are logged in with your username when you are browsing the forums. Thats all I can think of.

Steven Cedrone
07-29-2003, 05:22 PM
What's up with that?

Go here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/tools/ua.php

And post the user agent string your device reports back.

Steve

nosmohtac
07-30-2003, 09:21 AM
I'll try that tomorrow Steve.

I did check today, and I was logged in.
The home page always comes up in mobile format. It's jus the forums section that doesn't work.

madbart
07-30-2003, 10:48 AM
I have found that they are not formatted properly when someone puts a "quote" in their post otherwise the format is fine

The Half-Ling
07-30-2003, 04:14 PM
So far I have seen nothing wrong with the mobile fourm its awesome and easy to load :D

Nice Job Jason-

Jake-

nosmohtac
08-01-2003, 06:42 AM
What's up with that?

Go here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/tools/ua.php

And post the user agent string your device reports back.

Steve

I was able to try this today, and I tried posting a reply from the mobile site, but it came back(no post mode specified)

Anyway, when I went to the tools link, it came back like this: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0; PPC; 240x320)

I'm no Sys Admin., so I'll let you tell me what that means. Thanx.

Janak Parekh
08-03-2003, 04:03 AM
nosmohtac, what device and browser are you using? Are you using a PIE on Pocket PC 2002? That's strange, it should work. Clear out the cookies on your Pocket PC, try logging in again into the front-page site, and try going back into the forums and see if it works.

--janak

nosmohtac
08-03-2003, 06:16 AM
Janak,

Yes, I'm using PIE and PPC2002.
I will try clearing cookies and report back.

nosmohtac
08-04-2003, 06:15 AM
OK, I cleared the cookies and logged back in. Still the same....no mobile forums.
Another thing I noticed...when I go to the home page, it always goes to the second page of posts, which is always news I've already read.