View Full Version : Subscriber Services Enhancements Coming Soon...

Jason Dunn
07-15-2003, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php</a><br /><br /></div>I've been watching our subscriber services very closely since we launched them, seeing who's subscribing and who's not. I've also been receiving some interesting comments from people about why they're not subscribing. One of the important factors for me in launching these services was to make them valuable to everyone - I know that some people will subscribe just to support the work we do, but the majority of people want to get something extra, and if you don't have a wireless-capable device, you might not see much tangible value in the mobile forums. So how about this: within the next couple of weeks, we'll be implementing a special subscriber-only software and discounts page that will feature:<br /><br />• <b>One <a href="http://www.pdamill.com">free PDAMill software title of your choice</b></a> valued at $9.95 US. This includes your choice of GameBox Solitaire, Snails, EZ Note, Gamebox, or TopKey. <i>This is for Mobile Full and Lifetime subscribers only.</i><br /><br />• <b>Exclusive discount coupons:</b> 15% discount on any <a href="http://www.handango.com">Handango</a> title, 15% off all <a href="http://www.pocketinformant.com/">WebIS</a> software titles (Pocket Informant, @mail, or Journal Sync), $7 discount off any <a href="http://www.iliumsoft.com/">Ilium</a> software title, 25% off <a href="http://www.developerone.com">Developer One's</a> Agenda Fusion, 20% off any <a href="http://www.resco-net.com">Resco</a> application, and 25% off any <a href="http://www.cnetx.com">CNetX</a> application. And we're still adding more! We're going to be releasing one or two of these special discount coupons every month, so the sooner you <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php">sign up as a subscriber</a>, the sooner you'll get access to them. <i>This is for all subscribers.</i><br /><br />To those that have already subscribed, thank you! I hope these new bonuses will make you even happier with your subscription. To those that haven't subscribed, I hope this is tempting enough to make you take the plunge! :D

JonnoB
07-15-2003, 10:07 PM
wow.... I already felt like this was a great deal - now it is even better.

ntractv
07-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Ya know, I thought the Mobile Lifetime I signed up for was sweet. Now this. All I need to do is get my hands on the HP 5555 and I'm set.

Thanks Jason

entropy1980
07-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Very cool glad I waited on getting Snails... now I get it for free(kind of)!! Woohoo!!

kalex
07-15-2003, 10:15 PM
:D

Way to go

lurch
07-15-2003, 10:17 PM
I've been watching our subscriber services very closely since we launched them, seeing who's subscribing and who's not.
Makin' a list... checkin' it twice... looking to see who's naughty or nice!!

:clap: :x-mas:

Hyperluminal
07-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Wow, thanks Jason. At this rate I may just end up with more money than before I subscribed... :way to go:

WillyG
07-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Now this begins to look like somthing.
Sugestion: What about prize draws just for subscribers? Im one of those whiners who never win anything, maby that would get me better odds :wink:

JonnoB
07-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Sugestion: What about prize draws just for subscribers? Im one of those whiners who never win anything, maby that would get me better odds :wink:

That, from what I understand, is going to be one of the perks (as long as no one messes with it)... your increased odds of winning however are not guaranteed :)

Janak Parekh
07-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Well, to be precise, all competitions have to be open -- otherwise Jason might get hauled off to jail in Canada ;)

However, we will be featuring some awesome competitions that you must manually enter to win -- unless you're a subscriber -- so if you're signed up as one, you indeed have a really good chance!

--janak

p.s. Hey boss, do we qualify for these goodies ourselves? :lol:

Jeff Rutledge
07-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Suh-weet.

It's already paying off. 0X

Jacob
07-15-2003, 10:52 PM
As someone who doesn't feel a need to reformat the page or need to use mobile forums at all - the addition of these deals does certainly make it tempting to sign up.

Even for one year the free software plus the deals would almost pay for it....

Jonathon Watkins
07-15-2003, 11:03 PM
:mrgreen: Cheers Jason for making these extra goodies retrospective. Very fair - very generous- very you. :mrgreen:

ironguy
07-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Boy does this work out great!

Supporting Thoughts, the Vaja case now available for my iPaq 2215 (only $46.60 pre-order), a $20 Vaja coupon (please take my PayPal money NOW so I can redeem the coupon), discounts for great software...

So who's the winner here?

ME! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dochall
07-15-2003, 11:07 PM
While these are most welcome additions, let me share why I signed up for the lifetime subscription.

This is simply the BEST pocket pc site on the web. It's my home page and I check it out a large number of times a day. I may use the mobile forums but the real reason for the subscription was to say thank you. The team and particularly Jason put a large amount of blood, sweat and tears in this site. I think it is only fair to reward this outstanding effort. The ongoing sucess of PPC thoughts is worth $120 to me with or without free gifts.

droppedd
07-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Well, to be precise, all competitions have to be open -- otherwise Jason might get hauled off to jail in Canada ;)

Don't they have some weird law there with contests? Something about you're not allowed to have a sweepstakes, but you can have a "contest of skill" with a tiebreaking drawing... I recall some drawing at a store, and you had to fill out a math test on the back first if you were a Canadian resident :roll:.
The only area you Canucks have us beat is gay marriage (my cousin woulda eloped there with her partner if they had changed the law before they started planning a non-legal ceremony here). otherwise, you Canadians are funny. Especially your money :rotfl:

(it's all in good fun, i'm not serious - dontcha start flamin' the Yank, please :)).

In theory, at least under US contest laws, can't Jason just automatically enter subscribers, and then say "if you're not a member, to enter send a SASE with your adress and social security number etc. to me to enter"? At least that's how all the contests i've seen work.

as soon as i get my new wi-fi card, though, I'm subscribing. Pretty nice to get a free copy of Snails for my new 2210. and the way i figure it, I owe you guys - I found out about the $120-off student discount on my 2210 here.

GoldKey
07-15-2003, 11:12 PM
And for those of us that signed up on day one, the free trial ends tommorrow. Maybe we will see a contest right of the bat? Of course it is kind of like we all already win a $10 software title!!

Janak Parekh
07-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Don't they have some weird law there with contests? Something about you're not allowed to have a sweepstakes, but you can have a "contest of skill" with a tiebreaking drawing... I recall some drawing at a store, and you had to fill out a math test on the back first if you were a Canadian resident :roll:.
Yes. If you want to enter a contest manually, you have to answer a math question on the postcard. :lol:

--janak

Ed Hansberry
07-15-2003, 11:14 PM
That runs into legal issues. That is why most sweepstakes and such have "No purchase necessary" to enter. That means you have to keep it open to all. :|

ctmagnus
07-15-2003, 11:28 PM
In theory, at least under US contest laws, can't Jason just automatically enter subscribers, and then say "if you're not a member, to enter send a SASE with your adress and social security number etc. to me to enter"?

He could, but then he'd be tempted to commit identity theft with all those SSNs.

:)

PR.
07-16-2003, 12:56 AM
I subscribed on the first day, and I was wondering how/when we will be getting the Vaja vouchers?

Will they expire or are they valid indefinately?

Thanks

ironguy
07-16-2003, 12:59 AM
Do we have to wait for the two week trial to end to get our Vaja coupons? I don't want to wait. Take my money now. The pre-order time for the Vaja 2215 cases ends on July 25th.

PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY!

Busdriver
07-16-2003, 01:16 AM
Getting warmer. :wink:

rpommier
07-16-2003, 01:29 AM
I just subscribed also so that I could buy the Vaja 2210 case... So no one has received their coupons yet? If that's the case I would've went for the $24 option...

Status anyone? :|

Jason Dunn
07-16-2003, 01:35 AM
I've been watching our subscriber services very closely since we launched them, seeing who's subscribing and who's not.
Makin' a list... checkin' it twice... looking to see who's naughty or nice!!

:clap: :x-mas:

That's not what I meant and you know it. :wink: I just meant that I was looking at the "regulars" who weren't subscribing and I realized that many didn't have wireless device access, which got me thinking about ways I could make this more appealing for everyone. :mrgreen:

Jason Dunn
07-16-2003, 01:37 AM

That was what I wanted to do, but then I was told that if I did, it would be considered a lottery (because I'm taking money and giving people a chance at winning something).

Please read this for more details on how this will work:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe/contests.htm

So, in order to keep everything legal, EVERYONE can enter to win, regardless of whether or not they're subscribers. But subscribers are all entered to win automatically every time, whereas the non-subscribers have to send me a postcard for each contest. :-)

Jason Dunn
07-16-2003, 01:41 AM
I subscribed on the first day, and I was wondering how/when we will be getting the Vaja vouchers? Will they expire or are they valid indefinately?

You'd normally get the coupon after the two week period, but I'll make an exception in the case of the people who want to advance-order the 2215. The reason why there's a wait is that I don't get your money until the trial is over - which means you could sign up, get the coupon from me, then cancel. None of you would do that to me, would you? :wink:

If you want your Vaja coupon immediately, email subscriber at pocket pc thoughts dot com and give me your username.

droppedd
07-16-2003, 01:50 AM
In theory, at least under US contest laws, can't Jason just automatically enter subscribers, and then say "if you're not a member, to enter send a SASE with your adress and social security number etc. to me to enter"?

He could, but then he'd be tempted to commit identity theft with all those SSNs.

:)

Exactly the idea. :twisted:

droppedd
07-16-2003, 02:30 AM
hey jason - if the new 2210 case from Vaja is anything like their older iPaq case, it's incompatible with Canadian currency! :rotfl:

from PocketPCPassion:

"The money sleeve is able to accommodate US denominations perfectly. However, when I traveled to Canada the currency was too big for the sleeve."

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/general/vajacases/billfoldcase/billfold_fullpost.htm

but anyways... despite my distaste for leather... i may jump in on this next week when I subscribe. it's so pretty... and it won't scratch the sides of my ipaq. plus it's not a ripoff once you use the coupon.

sub_tex
07-16-2003, 02:52 AM
I just signed up as a subscriber today. Great site, and I'm glad to support it. . .(even if i have yet to own a PPC. :oops: )

BTW, how do you get to the mobile forums? The mobile homepage i see fine, but the forums I do not. :?:

Janak Parekh
07-16-2003, 03:06 AM
BTW, how do you get to the mobile forums? The mobile homepage i see fine, but the forums I do not. :?:
If you're using Pocket IE, it will automatically sniff the browser string. If you're using another handheld device and it doesn't correctly sniff it, let Jason know what the browser string is for the solution you're using.

--janak

Jason Dunn
07-16-2003, 05:14 AM

I'm afraid that you need a mobile device to access the mobile forums - each page of data is dynamically reformatted based on the user agent of the browser accessing it. I suppose you could hack the user-agent of your browser to look like a Pocket PC browser, but that probably wouldn't be a good idea. :wink:

Thanks for your support!

beq
07-16-2003, 05:49 AM
Very cool glad I waited on getting Snails... now I get it for free(kind of)!! Woohoo!!
Just bought it last week :) :( (:( because it's such a time drain)

EDIT: Also makes me wish I'm a newbie who haven't bought most of those software apps :mrgreen:

ChrisHasenpflug
07-16-2003, 07:00 AM
I just took the plunge. I have been wanting to subscribe for some time and these new deals pushed me over. the site looks great and I'm enjoying posting from my bed.

Jason and team, thank you for making a site worth paying for.

palmsolo
07-16-2003, 07:56 AM
The fact that Vaja now has a 2215 case on the way pushed me over the edge and these new perks are just icing on the cake. I was hesitating because I couldn't find a use for the $20 vaja coupon, but now can pre-order my 2215 case for only $27. Cool!

beq
07-16-2003, 08:52 AM
^ I've never used a PPC w/ removable batt with this kind of case. How practical is it? I assume you have to slip it out of the case to swap batt? And is Vaja's belt clip similar to The Clip (used by PDAmotion) and Krusell (used by Whitney)?

piperpilot
07-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Like I needed any more justification for my lifetime membership? This is far and away the best PPC site on the Internet and I would gladly support it financially without all the incentives, BUT, since you are offering all the incentives anyway, I might as well take advantage of them.

So, I have but one word to say about the new enhancements: SWEET!

drop
07-16-2003, 01:46 PM
I am touched. I paid for a car, they threw in a house.

Jason, practice like this goes against all the business models. :mrgreen:

Thank you for the effort in coordinating all the goodies.

rpommier
07-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Yeah I was all over it...

This is the second site I've paid a membership for. I think of them as magazine subscriptions now. I used to get maybe 3-4 magazine subscriptions a year. Now I have none, just the PPCT and Gamespot (I like the demos and the archive of game reviews).

Now if I get my $20 Vaja coupon soon that'll be nice... I'm eyeing that 2210/15 case hard :mrgreen:

sub_tex
07-16-2003, 04:45 PM
I'm afraid that you need a mobile device to access the mobile forums - each page of data is dynamically reformatted based on the user agent of the browser accessing it.

It'll be on the Treo's Blazer web browser (once my device comes in). Not sure what the UA String is for that browser, but is it covered in the sniffer? If not, can it be added?

Janak Parekh
07-16-2003, 06:08 PM
It'll be on the Treo's Blazer web browser (once my device comes in). Not sure what the UA String is for that browser, but is it covered in the sniffer? If not, can it be added?
Use http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/tools/ua.php to get the browser string -- and let Jason know.

--janak

rpommier
07-17-2003, 02:00 AM
Could I inquire about when the coupons will be made available? I sent my username. I would just like to know my options. If the coupon isn't in until after my 2 weeks I would rather the $24 subscription option & purchase the case now w/o the coupon. If no one else has received their's then no sweat, I'll just hang-out.

ToeCutter
07-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Anyone else getting "antsy" about their Vaja coupons? I understand the whole trial period anxiety that Jason must be suffering, but the 2200 series case discount is time sensitive. I'll be happy to send full payment for the subscription as I intend to keep it as long as the site is up.

We are, however, only SEVEN days from the Vaja cutoff for 2200 series pre-orders. The Vaja coupon will have little value after July 25th for current 2200 owners, as I'm sure most will pre-order without the coupon.

Any suggestions, Jason? Perhaps Vaja can offer an pre-order extension for Mobile Forum subscribers? I know it's a long shot, but...

After exchanging my 2200 due to scratched grips, I REALLY need that Vaja case!

Kati Compton
07-17-2003, 07:54 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15165&highlight=

He's processing them today.

ToeCutter
07-17-2003, 08:40 PM
Excellent!

I hope my tone didn't sound too.....well.....bitchy? :oops:

Jason Dunn
07-17-2003, 09:31 PM
I hope my tone didn't sound too.....well.....bitchy? :oops:

Nope. But try to understand where I'm coming from - giving out a coupon that I traded $$$ ad inventory for to someone who hasn't paid anything yet...it puts me in an awkward position. I guess I should have made it a 1 day trial. ;-)

Jason Dunn
07-17-2003, 11:11 PM

That might be because I have a Public Relations degree, which means I know how to make people happy, not necessarily know what the hell I'm doing in the business world. Haha! :lol:

Hyperluminal
07-17-2003, 11:48 PM
That might be because I have a Public Relations degree, which means I know how to make people happy, not necessarily know what the hell I'm doing in the business world. Haha! :lol:
Well, making people happy, especially when it directly involves them paying money, can't be bad for business... :D

ToeCutter
07-18-2003, 02:23 AM

Well Jason, I'm guessing you carried a pretty high GPA, 'cause this is BY FAR the HAPPIEST damn forum I have ever been a member of.

"Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff..." - Anonymous

malcolmsharp
07-23-2003, 04:47 AM
That's not what I meant and you know it. :wink: I just meant that I was looking at the "regulars" who weren't subscribing and I realized that many didn't have wireless device access, which got me thinking about ways I could make this more appealing for everyone. :mrgreen:

Just to let you know, I haven't subcribed, and there is NOTHING you can do to get me too! NOTHING!!!

OK... now as for why. I don't use the mobile stuff (would if I could... I check your site several times a day), but that isn't it either.

Money wise, I'm going though a rough time. The price is VERY right, and I wouldn't want to pay less, becuase it's worth much more to me. And soon, I may be getting a bit of extra money... and then I'll consider it.

But when you are going "Hmmm... Ramen noodles or Peanut butter sandwiches... which is cheaper?", a site that I don't have to subcribe to isn't one I'm going to... for now.

Believe me, within a few months, I'll be a member.

Jason Dunn
07-23-2003, 05:17 AM
Believe me, within a few months, I'll be a member.

I look forward to it - it's more important for you to feed your belly than to feed mine. :wink:

pschultz
07-31-2003, 04:39 PM
When do we get the Subscriber Services Enhancements?

Jason Dunn
07-31-2003, 05:26 PM
When do we get the Subscriber Services Enhancements?

I'm aiming for next week. We've built the subscriber-only page. This week we're launching a couple of new things, which take priority over the discount coupons, but I'm still aiming to have it live next week.

Hyperluminal
07-31-2003, 11:24 PM
Sounds nice. Can't wait... :)

AlexMakin
08-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm a bit lost. I am a full member but I haven't worked out how I can take advantage of the discounts at Handango (etc) and the free Proggie at PDAMill.

How do these developers know that I am a PPCT member? Is there some code Iam supposed to type in?

Cheers,
Alex Makin

Jason Dunn
08-21-2003, 03:28 PM
I'm a bit lost. I am a full member but I haven't worked out how I can take advantage of the discounts at Handango (etc) and the free Proggie at PDAMill.

We've had some delays :oops: so look for an announcement in an hour explaining what's been going on. The goal is to launch the disconts page by tomorrow.