View Full Version : New Microsoft Mobile Development Resource Kit

Andy Sjostrom
07-15-2003, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='https://microsoft.order-5.com/trialstore/mobiledev' target='_blank'>https://microsoft.order-5.com/trialstore/mobiledev</a><br /><br /></div>Microsoft has pulled together all the nescessary products, tools and SDKs into one neat package called "Mobile Development Resource Kit". The kit includes:<br /><br />• SDK for Windows Mobile 2003-based Pocket PCs<br />• eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0<br />• eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 Service Pack 2<br />• eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 2002 Edition (with Pocket PC 2002 and Smartphone 2002 SDKs)<br />• white papers<br />• Mobile2Market information and more<br /><br />The price is $7.65. My own tool box is complete with all these items plus Visual Studio .NET. It's nice to see the effort of making it as easy as possible to get started. You can <a href="https://microsoft.order-5.com/trialstore/mobiledev">order your copy here</a>!

kendrick
07-15-2003, 11:51 AM
For those of us who aren't necessarily just developing for Pocket PC, is anybody using eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 to compile apps for other processors? Just curious to know if the existing CE.NET SDK's for Hitachi and Casio devices are still supported, or if those guys are stuck using the older eMbedded Visual Tools.

-KKC, bound and determined to keep Windows CE multi-platform. More choice is always better.

mbeatle
07-15-2003, 01:22 PM
complete with all these items plus Visual Studio .NET
Visual Studio.Net doesn't appear to be part of the package.

Jimmy Dodd
07-15-2003, 01:36 PM
complete with all these items plus Visual Studio .NET
Visual Studio.Net doesn't appear to be part of the package.

It isn't. Andy said "my own tool box is complete with...".

For $7.95 don't expect to get Visual Studio .NET. :wink:

dangerwit
07-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Is "eVB 2002" the same as the original, crappy eVB we've grown to despise, just with the 2002 SDK's? There aren't any improvements, correct?

*Phil

droppedd
07-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Might want to edit the "." out of the end of the link so that it works like so :) :

https://microsoft.order-5.com/trialstore/mobiledev

Aren't all the parts of this available for download from their site? They don't seem that complicated to just download... except for maybe the white papers which are probably spread around the site... i don't know, i guess i'm just a cheap college student, not wanting to pay a few bucks for the convenience of having it on CD...

Jimmy Dodd
07-15-2003, 02:42 PM
While we're on the subject, are there any issues that prevent you from using eVC++ 3.0 (with the PPC 2002 SDK) and eVC++ 4.0 (with the WM 2003 SDK) on the same development machine? I seem to remember that there is, but now I can't find any reference to it. I'm ready to take advantage of some of the WM 2003 features, but can't afford to break my PPC 2002 dev environment.

Peter Foot
07-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Is "eVB 2002" the same as the original, crappy eVB we've grown to despise, just with the 2002 SDK's? There aren't any improvements, correct?

*Phil

eVB itself is exactly the same... The difference is that they've dropped the Palm PC Pocket PC 2000 and Handheld PC SDKs which used to be bundled in the old package and just include the 2002 series SDKS (Pocket PC and Smartphone)

There wont be any further updates to eVB so you'll have to continue to despise it :wink: . Microsoft are putting their efforts into .NETCF for VB.NET and C# development...

Peter

Peter Foot
07-15-2003, 03:09 PM
While we're on the subject, are there any issues that prevent you from using eVC++ 3.0 (with the PPC 2002 SDK) and eVC++ 4.0 (with the WM 2003 SDK) on the same development machine? I seem to remember that there is, but now I can't find any reference to it. I'm ready to take advantage of some of the WM 2003 features, but can't afford to break my PPC 2002 dev environment.

eVC 3 and 4 do play happily together on the same PC I've got both along with the SDKs and have not encountered problems.

Peter

dangerwit
07-15-2003, 03:19 PM
eVB itself is exactly the same... The difference is that they've dropped the Palm PC Pocket PC 2000 and Handheld PC SDKs which used to be bundled in the old package and just include the 2002 series SDKS (Pocket PC and Smartphone)

There wont be any further updates to eVB so you'll have to continue to despise it :wink: . Microsoft are putting their efforts into .NETCF for VB.NET and C# development...
Peter

Yep, I had heard that too, so I was surprised to hear "eVT 2002" and got a little hopeful. :) I prefer the .NET CF, but my company is a little wet behind the ears when making decisions about usable technology. :)

GeneDoc
07-16-2003, 02:46 AM
Is it just me or are they charging $8 for a CD of stuff you can download for free?! I think I've seen all of this stuff before, right?

droppedd
07-16-2003, 03:53 AM
it would appear that way. Hey, you can order the Windows XP SP1 on CD as well, but why bother? It only makes sense if you only have access to dialup. And if you're a software developer with only dialup, save the $8 and use it towards a cable modem :D.