View Full Version : On the Road, On the Go: What's Your Killer App?

Jason Dunn
07-14-2003, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,3781' target='_blank'>http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/a...ion=expand,3781</a><br /><br /></div>Here's an article I wrote up on Sunday that explains a little of why I find my Smartphone to useful. :D <br /><br />"I've had people ask me why I tend to carry my Smartphone more than I carry my Pocket PC, and it comes down to one simple answer: one-handed email is the "killer application" for me. I spent a weekend in Edmonton in June, and I took only my Smartphone. While walking around West Edmonton Mall with my wife and her friend, I was able to check my email in an inconspicuous manner, and of course have it automatically poll for new messages every 15 minutes. Checking email on a Pocket PC is a two-handed affair, which is vastly different than using a Smartphone. My first pass at email always consists of deleting spam - I can do that while walking or talking with others. My second pass at mail is when I respond to the messages - I'm still pretty slow at T9, so one of the features I really enjoy using is the voice recorder option..."

AndrewShuttleworth
07-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Completely agree. I think this in combination with the amount of time spent on crowded trains is definitely one of the reason keitai mail is so hugely popular in Japan. I'm not sure about Smart Phones but i-mode mail is also instant and truely integrated with the phone. I'm a huge Pocket PC user but even with flat rate nationwide wireless access, I still use my packet-charged i-mode phone to send quick mails that I want to see any reply to instantly. No competition.

Andrew

that_kid
07-14-2003, 03:20 PM
I'd have to say e-mail is one of my killer apps as well. The others being terminal services, instant messenger and windows media player. Now that I have windows mobile 2003 I'm happy to see that if you have you have your mail set to automagically check at a certain time, that the device get the mail even if inbox isn't open :D. Windows media comes in very handy when I'm out and about and I people want to see some samples of videos that I edit. I then get online, goto my site and stream the video right to the pocketpc(what a great way to demo). Terminal services helps out in a big way if I get a call about a server or desktop comoputer that's having issues. One vpn connection later and i'm in and working the problem. All this while waiting online inside of wallmart 8). When you think about it, none of these would be possible without some type of connectivity, so I guess connectivity is my killer app.

CTSLICK
07-14-2003, 03:30 PM
Besides email I'll add the Citrix ICA client to the list of killer apps. For me its very useful to be able to connect to our network, run an app, check corp. email or even copy a file over to my PPC if I need to.

dh
07-14-2003, 04:41 PM
My two "must have" applications are Pocket Informant and WebIS Mail. As long as I have these two, I have everything I need with me and generally don't need my laptop.

My company does not yet support PPC access to the network so I simply have my company email forwarded to my regular account when traveling.

I'm using the T-Mobile HotSpot access so I have to swing by a Starbucks or Borders every now and again. My next step is to get GPRS or CDMA access to be connected all the time.

ricksfiona
07-14-2003, 05:53 PM
TransACT! 2. I'm always needing to check and arrange my schedule.

pschultz
07-14-2003, 06:16 PM
My two "must have" applications are Pocket Informant and WebIS Mail. As long as I have these two, I have everything I need with me and generally don't need my laptop.
ditto

jkendrick
07-14-2003, 07:37 PM
I have to agree- PI & WebIS Mail. But, I would also now recommend the free today screen with PI integration- PIToday.

I have a news post about it on www.bostonpocketpc.com

jkendrick
Reviewer- BostonPocketPC

pschultz
07-14-2003, 10:51 PM
I have to agree- PI & WebIS Mail. But, I would also now recommend the free today screen with PI integration- PIToday.

I have a news post about it on www.bostonpocketpc.com

jkendrick
Reviewer- BostonPocketPC
I just tried PIToday, and I love it :!:

jkendrick
07-15-2003, 04:28 AM
I just tried PIToday, and I love it :!:[/quote]

Isn't it great? And the author actively supports it in the PI forum and makes instant feature changes if enough people ask for it. It's always great when you see such a useful utility done by a loyal user.

:D

hollis_f
07-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Pocket Informant and TomTom Navigator. One to tell me where I'm supposed to be, the other to tell me how to get there.

madbart
07-15-2003, 11:52 AM
you guys must be kidding. if my friends tried to check his email whilst with me in the shopping centre i would kick him up the bum & tell him to get a life :D

Steven Cedrone
07-15-2003, 01:12 PM
It's funny...

When I was traveling recently, I came to a realization: Although I have a ton of third party stuff on my Jornada, the things I needed the most were apps that came on my Pocket PC: my Contacts, my Pocket Outlook, and my Pocket IE (O.K., I'll throw Reader in there as well). Granted, the apps that come with the device are less than stellar as far as performance goes. But they do get the job done...

Steve