View Full Version : time of instruction

sakanabar
07-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know how long an instruction takes to perform on eVB?

Thanks

lurch
07-14-2003, 02:24 PM
An "instruction" isn't dependant on the language you write in, it depends on the processor and hardware you're using.. one line of code from eVB can (and does) generate many instructions. So do you mean one processor instruction or one eVB "line of code"?

droppedd
07-14-2003, 03:48 PM
One processor operation is one processor operation, regardless of language... I think what he means to ask is probably "what is the efficiency of a line of eVB code compared with a comparable line of code in another language?" The issue, as i understand it, is that VB tends to make slow programs that use more operations than are strictly neccessary, with a lot of overhead, as opposed to C++.

lurch
07-14-2003, 04:07 PM
I think what he means to ask is probably "what is the efficiency of a line of eVB code compared with a comparable line of code in another language?"
If that's the case, then the answer is "MUCH MUCH WORSE!!!" :mrgreen:

droppedd
07-14-2003, 04:49 PM
I think what he means to ask is probably "what is the efficiency of a line of eVB code compared with a comparable line of code in another language?"
If that's the case, then the answer is "MUCH MUCH WORSE!!!" :mrgreen:

lol - now that's a no-brainer. now I'm actually curious myself... does anyone have any quantitative results (maybe runtimes of a program in vb and c++?) I know vb is a horrible choice for anything requiring serious processing... but for stuff that just requires a quick interface and display capabilities without much serious work, just how bad is VB, and would the ease of use justify it over c++? (i'm a programmer and would like to start playing around with PPC programming, just got to figure out where to start).

lurch
07-14-2003, 06:03 PM
I know vb is a horrible choice for anything requiring serious processing... but for stuff that just requires a quick interface and display capabilities without much serious work, just how bad is VB, and would the ease of use justify it over c++?
Well, I don't have quantative results, but qualitatively (i.e. my experience) I used to think that eVB ruled for slapping stuff together, but then I delved into eVC++ somewhat, and I'll tell you, after a just getting my feet wet a little, it was just as easy to "whip something together" in eVC++ as it was eVB!!!
So my 2¢ say to avoid eVB altogether and just stick with eVC++... :)

But I'd be interested to see some performance numbers to help determine that too...

null_
07-22-2003, 12:13 AM
I'm a quite skilled Java programmer, what do you think I should read to get into eVC++ quickly and start developing? In a hurry here, more or less decided to change prog lang in the middle of a project to get the speed I want from the GUI. Thanks for any advice. Oh, by the way... is there by any chance a list of the things one needs to get going?

lurch
07-22-2003, 12:41 AM
I'm a quite skilled Java programmer, what do you think I should read to get into eVC++ quickly and start developing? In a hurry here, more or less decided to change prog lang in the middle of a project to get the speed I want from the GUI. Thanks for any advice. Oh, by the way... is there by any chance a list of the things one needs to get going?
I can't recommend any books, per se... I had more time so I could learn without a book -- but I've heard that the SAMS (or whatever) "Teach yourself in 21 days" or 24 hours, or something are pretty good..
Just for getting up to speed.