View Full Version : Bluetooth Keyboards

Mark Johnson
07-13-2003, 04:50 PM
Now that the HP iPaq 2215 and 1945 are shipping with built-in bluetooth, I'm really interested in using a bluetooth keyboard with one. I don't really need a "portable" keyboard specifically, I don't care if it is full-size or not. I generally jot down "scratch notes" with block recognizer or fitaly and then type out the full thoughts when I'm back at my desk.

I just am sick and tired of buying the "keyboard of the month" every time I get a new PocketPC. I'm just done with the stupid "proprietary connector" game and the infrared (use cheesy platic mirror or drop whatever you are doing to reset into portrait mode, and still make sure it's propped up at the right angle) options.

Has anyone used either a 1940/1945 or 2210/2215 unit with a bluetooth keyboard yet?

whydidnt
07-13-2003, 10:52 PM
I don't think there are any compatible keyboards out there. The only BT keyboard I am aware of is the Microsoft one that requires the HID profile. Niether the 1940 or 2215 support this profile.

<RANT> While I really like Bluetooth for my cell phone and headset, this lack of meaningful, compatible accessories is one of the primary reasons Bluetooth has not become popular in the US. It's still TOO hard to make these things all work together. <END RANT>

Whydidnt

John Blasdell
07-14-2003, 12:30 AM
I thought the same things when I contemplated buying a 2003 unit and looked at my PDA keyboard collection. This should make great sense to the keyboard companies, as they can design, manufacture, inventory, and promote one item, not numerous variations. They must make a custom mold for each connector, project how many to produce, and deal with the inevitable selling out of some models while other models don't sell at all. Then there are all the sales they miss from owners of models they choose not to support.

Next item is availability for the consumer. I'm considering 3 PDAs, one of which is the Mio558. I'm sure a keyboard with a custom connector is or will be available for the iPAQs, but the Mio may be another story.

C'mon, manufacturers. Bluetooth is a great idea, available now. Lets promote and use it wherever possible.

Mark Johnson
07-14-2003, 08:01 AM
The only BT keyboard I am aware of is the Microsoft one that requires the HID profile. Niether the 1940 or 2215 support this profile.

Whydidnt

Aruggh! Does anyone have a quick summary of what the "profile" gameplan is all about? What is the HID profile? How Microsoft can promote a bluetooth PocketPC and a bluetooth keyboard that don't work together is beyond me!
:soapbox: This seems like it must be something that could be fixed with a download service pack. Come on Microsoft! Get it together guys!

Eitel
07-15-2003, 05:07 PM
HID = Human Interface Device. Mostly is being used for keyboards and mice.

Also, remember that Microsoft is not promoting a PPC with Bluetooth. HP is. Microsoft is only promoting their BT desktop, and yes, they did a bad job with not supporting more profiles.

Janak Parekh
07-15-2003, 05:35 PM
I believe they created an HID profile to emulate the USB HID protocol, to make it easier to develop keyboards. However, I agree -- adopting profiles that aren't widespread is problematic. :(

--janak

hollis_f
07-16-2003, 07:27 AM
I believe they created an HID profile to emulate the USB HID protocol, to make it easier to develop keyboards. However, I agree -- adopting profiles that aren't widespread is problematic. :(

--janakYou'd almost think that some companys were deliberately trying to make BT fail. One of the most frequent complaints is how difficult it can be to get two devices to work together properly. And it can be stunningly difficult (I owned a Loox for a while - I know how difiicult/impossible it can be).

Most of the time those difficulties are because companies have decided that the way everybody else does something is wrong - so they invent their own way of doing it. What they don't seem to realise is - everybody else does it that way because it works.

Thge BT devices I use (iPAQ, T39m, TDK PCMCIA and USB, Emtac GPS, Jabra BT300) are all very simple to use. The devices I've owned in the past (Nokia 6210, Nokia CF, Loox) and abandoned, all tried to do things their own - non-standard - way.