View Full Version : 5500 - Charging replaceable batteries outside the Ipaq.

dochall
07-13-2003, 12:37 AM
I have started looking and was wondering if HP has addressed the issue of charging replaceable batteries outside the Ipaq.

From my research it looks like the 5500 has the same cradle as the previous models which is a step behind the 2200 (and Axim) cradle with it's spare battery slot and it would appear no alternative charger.

It seems incredible for a high end device that this feature isn't in place and there are no alternatives. I would have thought that the buyers, whether enterprise or geek (or geek enterprise for that matter) of the 5500 are more likely to buy extra batteries and want to keep them charged up. If someboy is using an Ipaq in, say a WIFI stock control system, in a warehouse, it would seem to make sense to allow them to simply swap batteries due to the limited run time of the Ipaq when using WIFI.

I use multiple batteries on both my laptop and mobile phone and find it invaluable to be able to continue using that device and simply pick up a fully charged battery to replace it.

WyattEarp
07-13-2003, 02:28 AM
It would seem that HP likes making high-end devices with low-end accessories. This is a no-brainer to us but apparently not to HP.

jimski
07-13-2003, 06:34 AM
You need to purchase the Battery Charger for iPAQ Expansion Pack Batteries. Each spare battery for the 54XX and 55XX series comes with a little adapter that connects this battery to the expansion pack charger.

I have three spare battery for my 5450 and actually leave two of them attached to the charger when traveling. Now if they would supply a simple little vinyl pouch (about 0.001 in cost) to store each battery, that would be nice.

WyattEarp
07-13-2003, 04:57 PM
You need to purchase the Battery Charger for iPAQ Expansion Pack Batteries. Each spare battery for the 54XX and 55XX series comes with a little adapter that connects this battery to the expansion pack charger.

I have three spare battery for my 5450 and actually leave two of them attached to the charger when traveling. Now if they would supply a simple little vinyl pouch (about 0.001 in cost) to store each battery, that would be nice.

I've seen those but it would be so much easier not to mention more efficient to just have a cradle with a built-in slot for charging a spare battery.

Mona13
07-14-2003, 01:04 AM
I have a couple of extra batteries (the same as came with the original unit 5455). I would love to buy a battery charger, but how do I get the adapter if it only comes with the batteries?

Has anyone seen the adapter on the spare parts website, or anywhere else by itself or with the charger?

Does anyone know the model # of the adapter?

Thanks,

Mona

Takuo
08-15-2003, 12:25 AM
what does it look like,have any photos?

ctmagnus
08-15-2003, 04:29 AM
what does it look like,have any photos?

The expansion pack charger: http://h30143.www3.hp.com/images/options/chargerplus.jpg

The iPaq batteries themselves charge via an included (with the charger) adaptor.

The Half-Ling
08-15-2003, 04:44 AM
I never got that adapter :(

Is there another way to purchase it?

Jake-

SassKwatch
08-15-2003, 04:51 AM

I thought these things could only charge one battery at a time. From your reply, it sounds like I must be wrong.(??)

ctmagnus
08-15-2003, 05:12 AM

Jake-

You might be able to get it from the HP site (if you're lucky) but you have to be really quick about it 'cuz they only they only let one out for sale once a week and they're pretty popular.

The Half-Ling
08-15-2003, 07:00 AM
what the hell are you talking about?

Jake-

Steven Cedrone
08-15-2003, 02:20 PM
what the hell are you talking about?

Jake-

What is who talking about???

Be nice please...

It might help if you used the "quote" function...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

The Half-Ling
08-15-2003, 04:08 PM

Jake-

You might be able to get it from the HP site (if you're lucky) but you have to be really quick about it 'cuz they only they only let one out for sale once a week and they're pretty popular.

What are you talking about...Does HP Really sell the adapter? Link...

Jake-

ctmagnus
08-15-2003, 10:44 PM

Jake-

What are you talking about...Does HP Really sell the adapter? Link...

Jake-

Sorry. I was having a bad day yesterday.

HP power accessories site (http://h30143.www3.hp.com/configure2.cfm?oid=306696#m_27)

You want iPAQ Stand-up Battery Charger, model 253516-B21.

The Half-Ling
08-15-2003, 10:57 PM
its cool we all have our days, it was just kindof confusing about what you said lol...does that standup iPAQ battery carger include the 5000 series battery adapter?

Jake

ctmagnus
08-16-2003, 06:12 AM
its cool we all have our days, it was just kindof confusing about what you said lol...does that standup iPAQ battery carger include the 5000 series battery adapter?

Jake

Dunno. I don't actually own one yet. I've just seen it on that site a whole bunch.

squeeze
08-16-2003, 02:35 PM
I'm not really sure how it's possible to get the battery without the adapter...When I bought the slim and extended batts they both came with it....

How did you get a batt without the adapter? :wink:

If this is a really necessary item, I'll list the ebay item # here if there is a desire - I have two, so I can sell my other one.

disconnected
08-16-2003, 05:45 PM
I have a replacement battery, but if it came with an adapter, I've lost it. :oops: I think maybe it's only needed for charging in the cradle? The battery itself snaps right into the charger with no adapter needed.

Slightly off-topic: I've noticed that one edge of my replacement battery has gotten a little bent or warped somehow. One edge kind of pops out of place a little bit. I just push it back together and it works fine, so I'm assuming it isn't anything I need to worry about.

The Half-Ling
08-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Wait you don't need the 5000 series charger adapter to charge the battery in the expansion pack plus charger? A picture of the 5000 series battery charging on this adapter would be nice as I am well confused right now hehehe...

Thanks,
Jake-

ctmagnus
08-17-2003, 12:08 AM
A picture of the 5000 series battery charging on this adapter would be nice as I am well confused right now hehehe...

As am I.

disconnected
08-17-2003, 05:32 AM
Sorry, it's me that's confused. I just found the instructions that came with my battery and charger, and it seems that as soon as I got them I just attached the adapter to the charger and it's been on there ever since; I've got so used to seeing it that way that I thought that's how it came. :oops:

The Half-Ling
08-17-2003, 05:39 AM
ok that makes since...well if anyone wants sell me theirs that would be cool...

Thanks,
Jake

The Half-Ling
08-17-2003, 08:09 AM
I would like to thank squeeze who just sold me his adapter + shipping for 10$...not bad :)

thanks again,
Jake-

ctmagnus
08-17-2003, 11:46 PM
I would like to thank squeeze who just sold me his adapter + shipping for 10$...not bad :)

thanks again,
Jake-

Does the "included adaptor" come with the charger or the battery?

The Half-Ling
08-18-2003, 01:01 AM
battery...

Jake

dochall
08-18-2003, 01:02 AM
I thought these things could only charge one battery at a time. From your reply, it sounds like I must be wrong.(??)

To reply to my own thread. I purchased the charger and a couple of spare batteries.

The charger can is double sided and comes with a plastic cover if you are only using one side.

It actually works very well and I have been impressed. Charging two is probably a bit over the top but it gives peace of mind as far as always having a full charged battery is concerned.

ctmagnus
08-18-2003, 02:59 AM
Now if they would supply a simple little vinyl pouch (about 0.001 in cost) to store each battery, that would be nice.

Ziploc (http://www.ziploc.com/)! Or for extra protection, Ziploc Double Guard (http://www.ziploc.com/ziploc_doubleguardfreezerbags.htm).

And you can use them over and over and over again.

ChristopherTD
08-18-2003, 09:48 AM
I have one of these battery chargers, and 2 spare batteries. But my batteries didn't come with any adapter. Is this because they were purchased as spare parts?

Chris Pi
08-19-2003, 04:15 PM
I have one of these battery chargers, and 2 spare batteries. But my batteries didn't come with any adapter. Is this because they were purchased as spare parts?

I'm in the same boat, I've got 2 spare batteries and would like to get the charger but I don't have the adapters. Does anyone have the part number for the adapters? I've tried getting them from HP with no luck...

Chris

Takuo
08-20-2003, 02:14 AM

I'm in the same boat, I've got 2 spare batteries and would like to get the charger but I don't have the adapters. Does anyone have the part number for the adapters? I've tried getting them from HP with no luck...

Chris

I am confused!,what does the "adapter" come with battery look like ?,any one can show the photos ?

Thanks

Dave Beauvais
08-20-2003, 04:36 AM
... I am confused!,what does the "adapter" come with battery look like ?,any one can show the photos? ...
Your wish is my command! :) I don't have the actual charger, so unfortunately, I can't show how the adapter fits into the charger, but hopefully these photos of just the adapter will make things more clear.

http://www.beauvais1.com/images/ppc/h5000_battery/adapter_and_battery.gif
This is the adapter next to a standard battery for the h5000 series. The battery clips into this adapter, which in turn clips into the spare battery charger. The adapter is the same shape as the batteries that attach to the Expansion Plus packs, which is what the battery charger was originally designed to charge.

http://www.beauvais1.com/images/ppc/h5000_battery/adapter_back.gif
This is the back side of the adapter. Note the four metal pins which make contact with the charging contacts of the battery charger.

http://www.beauvais1.com/images/ppc/h5000_battery/adapter_battery_attached.gif
This shows the adapter with an h5000 series standard battery attached. This combo would then clip into the charger. Note you can also see the charging status LED above the battery latch. I'm told this behaves the same way as the iPAQ's charging LED -- blinking while charging, solid when fully charged. I don't have a charger, though, so I've never seen this light up. :)

--Dave

ctmagnus
08-20-2003, 05:16 AM
Dumb q:

Does that fit onto an expansion pack? (Three batteries at once!)

Dave Beauvais
08-20-2003, 05:37 AM
Does that fit onto an expansion pack? (Three batteries at once!)
No, because none of the expansion packs have the flat cutout area that would be required to attach a battery such as this. What might work, however, is attaching an h5000 series battery in one of these adapters to an expansion pack.

--Dave

petvas
08-20-2003, 09:49 AM
Below you can see you can see my Battery charger charging an Extended Battery...
http://www.wassiliou.de/images/iPaq_H5555_003.jpg

Takuo
08-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks a lot ,all of your photos make the thing more clear !! :wink:

ctmagnus
08-20-2003, 10:17 PM
What might work, however, is attaching an h5000 series battery in one of these adapters to an expansion pack.

--Dave

That's what I was referring to. ;)

The Half-Ling
08-21-2003, 03:21 AM
How many battery's does that battery charger chrage?

Cheers,
Jake-

ctmagnus
08-21-2003, 04:40 AM
How many battery's does that battery charger chrage?

Cheers,
Jake-

IIRC, two. One on each side. Unless HP munged their website content. ;)

The Half-Ling
08-21-2003, 04:48 AM
thats cool...at least the fifty bucks aint for one charger hehe...

Cheers,
Jake

jimski
08-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Now if they would supply a simple little vinyl pouch (about 0.001 in cost) to store each battery, that would be nice.

Ziploc (http://www.ziploc.com/)! Or for extra protection, Ziploc Double Guard (http://www.ziploc.com/ziploc_doubleguardfreezerbags.htm).

And you can use them over and over and over again.

OK. So I can get a sandwich sized Ziploc bag (do they make iPAQ battery size bags) and fold it over about six times and then I guess wrap an elastic band around it. That sounds neat and convenient.

A couple years back I had a spare cell phone battery in my travel bag and apparantly the contacts got too close to the edge of a magnetic access card (stored in the same compartment). You should have seen how the contacts on the edge of that battery melted and distorted. I can only imagine how much heat was needed to do that. Aside from ruining a $79 battery, I wonder if this could have ignited something in my bag, while it was up in the luggage compartment on a plane.

I have a Casio Exilim Digital Cameraand when I ordered the spare battery ($39) it came with a simple vinyl pouch. A safe and effective solution.

For the big $$$ they charge for batteries a couple cents (at most) is not much to ask for. Trash the blister pack (who needs to actually see a spare battery anyway-does it look any different than the original) and replace it with a brown cardboard box. Use the packaging savings for my vinyl pouch, please!

The Half-Ling
08-21-2003, 09:21 AM
I just bought a charger for 34 bucks :)

Cheers,
Jake-

Mona13
08-22-2003, 01:42 AM
I saw a battery charger at CompUSA last night and it listed 5xxx compatibility on the front of the package.

Does this mean you don't need an extra adapter anymore? I almost bought it because I have a couple of extra batteries (original battery style) and I don't want to buy another battery just for the adapter.

I checked HP Spare Parts but didn't find an adapter. I don't want to buy the charger and then not be able to use it.

Mona

ChristopherTD
08-22-2003, 01:09 PM
I saw a battery charger at CompUSA last night and it listed 5xxx compatibility on the front of the package.

Does this mean you don't need an extra adapter anymore?

You need to be careful. This is what tripped me up - I think it means that it is compatible with the expansion sleeve batteries (which are also compatible with 5XXX), not the built-in removable battery for the 5XXX.

Of course it could be an entirely new product!!