View Full Version : Connecting PDA to wireless phone using cable?

maikii
07-12-2003, 07:06 PM
I just got my first PPC, an IPAQ 2210. I would like to be able to connect it to my cell phone, a Motorola v60g, to connect wirelessly to the Internet, through my cell provider, T-Mobile. (I have done that before with my laptop computer, and directly with the phone.)

My phone does not have Bluetooth or IR. So the phones need to be connected via cable.

I already have two data cables that can connect the phone to my laptop, both the serial and USB cables, and either works on my laptop. I have the hotsync cable for the IPAQ.

I asked about this in another forum, and someone suggested that I connect the serial data cable for the phone, with the serial connector on the IPAQ hotsync cable, using a male-to-male gender changer and null modem adapter to connect them. I tried this, and I cannot get it to work.

It doesn't seem like the phone is being recognized as a modem, not dialing at all. In the Settings for the IPAQ, under "Connections", when one sets up a connection one chooses the modem it will go through. The only choices seem to be --two different Bluetooth choices, one IRdA. and "Hayes-compatible modem on Com1". I assumed the latter one would be correct, as it certainly is not Bluetooth or IR, and the first serial port is usually called Com1. So, that's how I set it. But the phone doesn't seem to be recognized at all.

Has anyone been able to do this--connect wirelessly to the Internet by connecting the PDA to the mobile phone with cables? If so, how did you set it up? Anyone done it yet with the 2210/15?

In Windows 95/98/ME/XP etc., one can go to the "Modems" setting in Control Panel, see what modems are installed there, run diagnostic tests on them, etc. Any way to do that in PPC 2003? If so, please tell me how, as I haven't seen such a setting yet.

I saw on the Microsoft PPC download site, an application called "Internet Connection Wizard" for the PPC. I downloaded it and tried it, and it wouldn't run, said it would only run on 2002, that 2003 wasn't supported. Is there a version of ICW for PPC 2003? If so, might that help?

On the Internet I saw a couple of dedicated cables, just for hooking up a phone and PDA, made to fit different models. Has anyone reading tried one of those? Would it be possible that it might work with such a cable, even though it doesn't work with the two cables connected as described?

Thank you for your input.

PetiteFlower
07-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Gomadic cables are great :)

Linus
07-17-2003, 06:51 PM
PetiteFlower is right; there are lots of commercial cables out there. But it should be possible to get it working without spending another $40 - that is, if you're willing to try hard enough.

First of all, try it without the null modem adapter. I'm not sure exactly how the hotsync cable is wired, but you might not need to swap the Tx/Rx wires (which I believe is what the null modem adapter does).

I'm guessing that won't work, though. Your problem is probably that the hotsync cable only has Tx, Rx, & Gnd connections, rather than the full suite of connections on a standard RS-232 DB-9 connector (http://www.pin-outs.com/datasheet_11.html). You could trying making your own cable - it would cost <$10 but would require soldering and a fair amount of experimentation. Gomadic sells connectors for the 2215 and the v60 ($2.95 apiece), and you would have to try and figure out the pinouts for both your phone (probably easy because you already have a working serial cable) and your PDA (might be available from HP, might have to do some trial and error).

You're barking up the wrong tree looking for modem settings or Internet Connection Wizard software. Your problem is in the cabling somewhere.

John Blasdell
07-17-2003, 07:48 PM
You may spend a lot of valuable time trying to figure what isn't happening with the 2 cables you own. Also, 1 small cable with the proper ends is a lot easier to carry in a pocket or briefcase than a "snake farm." I use a cable from Supply Net < http://www.thesupplynet.com/ > to connect my cell phone to either of my 2 PDAs (different PDA models, same manufacturer and connector). Supply Net has the cables, and if you look around their site, you'll find lots of useful information.

I started with CDPD service a couple of years ago, but began experiencing massive problems last December requiring a call to Tech Support every time I signed on!! They couldn't fix their problem, so in February I moved on. This PDA/Kyocera pairing thru the Supply Net cable works great 99% of the time. On the rare occasions when the PDA doesn't want to talk to the cell phone, I do a soft reset on the PDA, and turn the cell phone off and back on. This cures the problem every time!

Linus
07-18-2003, 03:50 PM
From the SupplyNet instructions, downloadable from their web page:

1. First you must disable ActiveSync. ActiveSync will try to use your data cable to connect with the PC instead of your cell phone. Tap on Start. Select ActiveSync.

2. Tap on Stop. In the lower left hand corner, tap on Tools. On the menu, tap on Options.

3. Uncheck both boxes on this screen. Tap Ok twice. ActiveSync is now disabled.

4. Next stop all running programs. Any program such as a keyboard or GPS could interfere with the data cable connection. Tap Start then Settings.

5. Tap on the System tab. Tap on Memory.

6. Tap on the Running Programs tab. Tap on Stop All. If any programs are still running, tap on Stop All. Tap OK.

7. Now you are ready to begin setting up your data cable connection. Tap Start. Select Settings.

8. Tap on the Connections Tab. Tap on the Connections icon.

9. Under 'automatically connect to the Internet using these settings', Select Internet Settings. Tap Modify.

10. Tap on New.

11. Enter a name for the connection: Cellular. Select a modem: Hayes Compatible on COM1: Select baud rate: 57600. NOTE: If you are using an Internet Service Provider, set the connection speed to 19200. Tap Next.

12. Enter phone number: *99#. Do not change Area code or Country code. NOTE: If you have another Internet Service Provider (i.e. Earthlink) or your own local connection, enter the phone number including area code under Phone number only.

13. Uncheck both boxes. Then tap Finish.

14. Tap on the Dialing Locations tab. Select location: Home. Tap on Dialing Patterns.

15. Enter a single G in each of the three fields. Click Ok. Tap on the Connections Tab.

16. Under 'automatically connect to the Internet using these settings',
Select Internet Settings. Tap Connect.

17. Enter user name: A. Enter password: A. Leave Domain blank. NOTE:
If you have another Internet Service Provider (i.e. Earthlink) or your own local connection, enter your own unique username and password. Check box: Save Password. Connect the cable from your phone to your PDA and turn your phone on. Then tap OK.

18. You should see your phone dialing. You may now use Internet Explorer to browse the web or use Inbox to check your email. If your phone does start dialing or if you need further information on troubleshooting your connection, click here (link to another file that's downloadable).

I haven't used this procedure myself (yet), but the SupplyNet cable should have the same procedure as your current cables. Hope this helps...