View Full Version : Use PPC as a radio?

maikii
07-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Are there any CF cards (or SDIO) that will turn your PPC into a radio, with all the controls on the PPC screen, etd.

If so, how is the reception on such PDA radios? Any good?

Janak Parekh
07-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Yes (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6757), but reception is mixed from what I've heard. Most people feel it's overpriced, and that a compact external radio is your best bet.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
07-12-2003, 06:20 PM
I think the biggest complaint/disappointment is that the headset jack is on the device. It does not route the sound through the PPC's sound system. (Which of course precludes any thought of recording off the air with it)

maikii
07-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Yes, there are a lot of very small inexpensive external radios available.

I just thought it would be convenient to use the PDA as a radio, but only if it was a good one, not expensive, and didn't add to the size of the device. (In other words, without a big device sticking out of the CF slot.)

And yes, the sound should go through the IPAQ's sound system, and one should be able to do all the tuning, presets, etc. on the PDA.

Doesn't sound like the one you've seen is like that. Too bad.

I'm surprised they haven't built radios into these yet. Since a lot of people are carrying PDAs in their pockets, and people like to listen to the radio (besides listening to MP3s or WMAs, etc.), it would be convenient to have that built in, if it could get good reception, etc. I wouldn't be surprised, that with more multimedia capabilities being built into these things (and expanding the user base from just business people), within a year or two there will be many models with built-in radio.

I can't see the point of add-on cameras either. I can see the point of a built-in camera, like the new Viewsonic V36 has. Even if it's not the greatest one in the world, it could be convenient, if you want to take a picture, and don't have a camera with you, but do have your PDA.

But the add-on cameras add a lot of bulk, are overpriced for the quality of camera they are, etc. Better just to buy a separate mini digital camera.