View Full Version : 5555 Heaven

Deus
07-11-2003, 09:56 PM
I just got an HP 5555 Yesterday and today i got my first wireless router and its all setup. WOW I have had PPCs for years and never got the chance to get wireless. ABSOLUTE perfection. The speed is very impressive and the 5555 found my wireless LAN right away. I got a bluetooth dongle yesterday (which i returned today) and I returned it for a Wireless router today. the router only cost $10 more and the distance is impressive. I got the Linksys BEFW11S4 for $59 at Best Buy. The bluetooth dongle had very little distance and did not go through walls. I just had to vent my excitment here because my girlfriend keeps telling me to shut up about it! :\

jd4science
07-11-2003, 10:40 PM
I just had to vent my excitment here because my girlfriend keeps telling me to shut up about it!

Isn't that why we are here? :lol:

JonnoB
07-11-2003, 11:55 PM
I just had to vent my excitment here because my girlfriend keeps telling me to shut up about it!

Isn't that why we are here? :lol:

Yes, we are all here as your emotional support. Let me be the first to say congrats on your wireless hookup. Now it is time to subscribe so you can get access to these forums in mobile format!

jd4science
07-12-2003, 12:27 AM
Even though I got us off topic( 8) ) 4 :nonono: Sorry. Also, congatulations on getting it up and going. I would have something like that, if only I lived where I could get hi speed internet. Question: Why won't dial-up support wireless? Or is there some kind of adapter?

JonnoB
07-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Why won't dial-up support wireless? Or is there some kind of adapter?

You can network your home for wireless and then use one of your networked computers with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) over dial-up. Your Pocket PC then will share via wireless, your dial-up connection on your computer.

jd4science
07-12-2003, 12:36 AM
So could I take an ethernet cable coming out of my desktop, into a wireless transmitter, and have a WiFi card on my PPC? And that's it? If so, I feel really stupid about now. :(

JonnoB
07-12-2003, 01:00 AM
So could I take an ethernet cable coming out of my desktop, into a wireless transmitter, and have a WiFi card on my PPC? And that's it? If so, I feel really stupid about now. :(

This is what you can do with a desktop PC that has dial-up. - two possible configs:

1)
Get a small network hub (not a router)
Get a small wireless access point
Plug a lan cable from your PC into hub
Plug a lan cable from access point into hub
Enable ICS on your desktop computer sharing dial-up to lan nic
-done!

2)
Get a wireless access point.
Get a wireless nic for your PC
Enable ICS on your desktop computer sharing dial-up to wireless nic
-done!

There are other possible combinations as well.

jaybird
07-12-2003, 01:30 AM
I'm still using my BT Dongle :(

Reading your post just might push me over the edge to buy a Wireless Router :)

disconnected
07-12-2003, 02:52 AM
Deus,

Congratulations. Now RIGHT NOW, run out to your nearest TMobile hotspot, get connected, and then tell me how you did it! I'm losing my mind here. :confused totally:

Deus
07-12-2003, 03:39 AM
Deus,

Congratulations. Now RIGHT NOW, run out to your nearest TMobile hotspot, get connected, and then tell me how you did it! I'm losing my mind here. :confused totally:

Have you connected to any Network successfully yet?
Are the T-Mobile hotspots protected with WEP codes?

JonnoB
07-12-2003, 04:18 AM
Deus,

You can't do it unless you subscribe to the services. They authorize you through your MAC address on your wireless nic.

disconnected
07-12-2003, 04:55 AM
Yes, I know it's not free. I signed up last year, and successfully accessed it with my 3975 and Linksys card. I just signed for the pay as you go plan and have a userid and password, but even if I'm no longer on their system, I should still be able to get their welcome screen that says Hi, would you like to sign up. I can't get connected at all. According to TMobile's instructions, I'm suppposed to set the SSID to tmobile, but I can't even find where to do that on the PPC. It does find the network (shows on the Configure Wireless Networks screen), I can tap the tmobile connection and bring up a screen that theoretically allows me to configure network authentication, but most of the fields are grayed out, and none of them mention SSID. Even at home, the screen is similar -- no place for SSID?

When I turned on wireless at home, it found my network by itself. I don't have any passwords or anything at home (bad, I know), and it never asked me for SSID or anything. I can browse the internet at home (router and cable modem, not going through my PC), I can see file shares on my PC, and I can sync wirelessly.

I'm sure I'm probably missing something fairly obvious here.

Thinkingmandavid
07-12-2003, 05:08 AM
When you go to the T-mobile hotspot, it should automatically recognize your pda. After launching IE, it will lead directly to the T-mobile site and all you do is log on. If it isnt, what connections are you running?

Deus
07-12-2003, 05:13 AM
Are you still using PPC 2k2 or are you now on Mobile 2003 OS?

rberry88
07-12-2003, 07:11 AM
Congrats on a fine purchase..err two. I've had the same model Linksys router for about 6 months now and love it. I use it to connect my 5455, my PS2, Xbox, Laptop and Tivo (w/ the wonderfully small Linksys WUSB11 access point). My router is on the second floor in the computer room and I can sit outside on my deck and surf with my PPC no problems. 8)

rberry88 0X

disconnected
07-12-2003, 07:22 AM
5500, PPC 2003
I tried to use a similar philosophy to the PPC2002 one of work, work, work, although connection manager is kind of different now.

On the Network Management screen, I have both boxes set to Work.
I have my network card set to connect to Work.
Under Proxy setting for My Work Network I checked 'this network connects to the internet'.
Under Configure Wireless networks, I checked Automatically connect to non-preferred networks.
I can't find anywhere to enter SSID, which I think should be tmobile.

Deus
07-12-2003, 07:50 AM
PPC2003 5555
Under Select Networks I have both set to MY ISP.

Pony99CA
07-12-2003, 08:24 AM
This is what you can do with a desktop PC that has dial-up.

[...]

There are other possible combinations as well.
Yes, there are. Get a router (like the SMC 7004AWBR that I use) which has a modem connection. You can configure the router to automatically dial your ISP, and it's almost like an always-on connection.

The modem is also supposed to serve as a back-up in case the broadband fails, but I don't know if that really works.

Steve

JSY
07-13-2003, 04:52 AM
Could I add my reply here to say that I also literally just picked up a 5555 to return myself from the Palm world after having been a WinCE user before? I haven't really tried it out yet, but I'm happy to be back with the PocketPC family. A lot of checking online and reading these forums helped my decision to return as well as the fact that I was looking for something just more capable than my old Palm 505!

KidKomputer
07-13-2003, 05:25 AM
Disconnected,
On my 2200 the only way to enter an SSID for I've found so far is to do the following...
Since you have wireless at home this may work for you
-Insert your wireless card at home
-Start->Settings->Connections Tab->Connections
-Advanced Tab->Network Card
-Click Add new Settings...
-You should be able to enter an SSID in the Network Name field and set up the rest of your connection
Good Luck

disconnected
07-13-2003, 08:14 AM
KidKomputer,

Thanks. I'm on the first day of a two week vacation, so I won't be home for a while. Does that option just show up when you're already connected?
Right now, on the Advanced tab>Network card, I just see the box for "my network connects to" and the list of adapters (tap to modify). There isn't anything for "Add new settings".

KidKomputer
07-13-2003, 06:00 PM
I think it only shows up when you have a connection defined or when you are actually connected.