View Full Version : LOVE Park

delfuhd
07-11-2003, 07:57 PM
I'm a skateboarder. Please don't flame at me for posting this, I posted it in the Off-Topic section, which is what it's for... Anyway, I'm sure you have all heard of LOVE park in Philly, well skateboarders literally from around teh world would go there to skate. I've gone there a few times, and it's amazing. Although, in the past year, Mayor Street of Philly, though he's invited the X-Games (an extreme sports tournament, those of you with little kids that skateboard should know what I'm talking about) to be hosted in Philly, whih has poured tens of millions of dollars into publicity, he tore down LOVE Park in an attempt to make it unskateable.

This hypocrisy is unacceptable, and I'd like to get people's support. There's a petition here http://www.ushistory.org/lovepark/index.htm and more information on what I'm talking about. I figure there has to be at least some people here who skateboard, who have children who do so. I'm just spreading the word. You can sign it even if you don't have any preference, whatever. All I'm saying, is take a look, read some articles, and help skateboarding get back its mecca. Thanks for reading and all your help, if any.

Jacob
07-11-2003, 08:37 PM
I don't intend this as a "flame" and I think your post is an appropriate post.

Just saying that I don't agree that it's really hypocrisy. There's a difference between hosting a set of games and promoting skaters around a public part who can be (not all, but many) a nuisance to others in the park.

I don't think skateboarding is bad or wrong by nature, just has it's place. I'd think the mayor would be really smart to set up a skating park nearby... I've seen it done in other cities and could be just as good if designed well.

delfuhd
07-11-2003, 09:04 PM
no offense, but skateboarders never were a nuisance to others in the park. It was always made sure that no one would run into each other, no disturbances ever broke out, except when undercover policemen would tackle kids, take their boards, and break them over ledges. For skateboarding.. Sorry I wasn't really clear before. Philidelphia has hosted the xgames for the past two years, and a contest goes on at the City Hall in Philly. Tell me why would the mayor allow a skateboarding contest at City Hall (where literally a miunute after the contest ended, skateboarders would be ticketed for skating there), where it's illegal to skate (obviously, I see that point, but they're not tearing down City Hall, are they..) but they're giving a bit about a place where so many people go to have fun.. People see it as a nuisance but they dont realize that no one ever does damage, and plus it's a major tourist attraction (I have lots of friends who make family trips to Philly, and they go (well, 'went') skate LOVE park.. It's absurd.

Jacob
07-11-2003, 09:25 PM
No offense taken.

Well, I can't comment on that park specifically and if the skateboarders are not doing anything disruptive to anyone else, then there is a very valid question as to why they're doing this.

I hope you at the very least get the(real) answer to that question.

Jason Dunn
07-11-2003, 09:55 PM
SKATE OR DIE DIE! :rock on dude!:

I've really always wanted to say that online. :wink: I see no problem with your post being in this forum.

delfuhd
07-11-2003, 10:54 PM
I see no problem with your post being in this forum.

It's just that I've seen random posts before and people yell because it's not about PPC's.. Just wanted to clear it up before someone went ranting about it.. lol just bein on the safe side 8)