View Full Version : Using GSM cell phone as dialup modem: How?

ToeCutter
07-11-2003, 12:12 AM
I have an iPaq 2215 and Sony T68i cell phone. I recently found myself roaming with NO GPRS data connection, only GSM voice. I thought I would be able to use the T68i as a regular dialup modem to connect via my MSN account.

Boy, was I wrong. I tried configuring the connection every way I knew how, but the phone refused to connect. I dialed the number and listened to ensure the remote modem was answering and it was. My 2215 was connected to the T68i and they were talking, but the phone simply could not complete the connection. I setup the connection with the following settings:

Modem type: BT dialup Modem
Number: Local access number (734 344-4676)
Username: MSN username and password

I would connect via BT Manager (using the dialup profile) and the MSN profile I just described. the 2215 would connect and the phone would dial, but never actually connect. Any thoughts?

I understand that GPRS is far better than the connection I described, but GPRS was not available in the northern woods of Michigan, which is where I was staying. With GPRS' spotty coverage, I may have to fall back on rego dialup from time to time.

freitasm
07-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Two things come to my mind: first, have you checked the dial properties? GSM allows to dial in the format +&lt;country> <area> &lt;number> and this is the best way to do it, even if it's local or long-distance. When the mobile phone dials it shows the number being called. Does it check?

Second, I'm not sure MSN is support by Windows Mobile dialup. Anyone to confirm this?

ToeCutter
07-11-2003, 08:24 PM
I tried dialing both ways, as I had several dialup numbers. The phone dials the number, but never completes the connection. You may be onto something regarding the Windows Mobile support. I'll have to try it out with a regular ISP account.

I've done this before with MSN dialup and a CDMA cellular phone, but I used a notebook with WinXP and a serial cable connection as the hardware platform.

Consider the irony of Microsoft not supporting their own dialup service on their premier mobile platform... :roll:

Janak Parekh
07-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Who's your GSM provider? It's notable that AT&T does not support circuit-switched data (CSD), which is what you're trying -- they only support GPRS. (T-Mo does still support CSD.)

--janak

ToeCutter
07-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Who's your GSM provider? It's notable that AT&T does not support circuit-switched data (CSD), which is what you're trying -- they only support GPRS. (T-Mo does still support CSD.)

--janak

Bingo! This could very well explain the problem. The phone does't seem to recognize the modem at the other end and disconnects.

So that said, if you're roaming without GPRS, you are bereft of any data services, correct?