View Full Version : Questions before I purchase

nullvector
07-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Saw today that the Axim's are 10% off the 400mhz again.

Could you possibly tell me some things?

1. How is audio quality through the headphone jack? Same as any other mp3 player? Or is it poor?

2. What accessories would be recommended right away, besides a case.

Thanks a bunch.

easylife
07-10-2003, 08:59 PM
I would recommend a storage card (SD or CF) as one of the first purchases. 8)

nullvector
07-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Ok, thanks.

Which one would be more practical for storage, SD or CF? In other words, If I got a 802.11 card, which type would that be, so I wouldnt have to be switching back and forth from storage to 802.11.

Also, Hows the audio sound? Is it a normal headphone port?

Kati Compton
07-10-2003, 09:33 PM
I find the audio more than adequate. However, as I am easily pleased on that front, I suggest you seek a second opinion. ;)

easylife
07-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Although CF memory is more economical, I suggest you get SD memory because there are a whole lot of accessories for the C slot besides memory like WiFi or modem cards. :D

If you're not very fussy about the quality of your audio, the Axim's headphone jack will be just fine. :wink: It's much, much better than the sound from the built-in speaker :lol:

EDIT: Uh, kati... you changed your name! 8O The last time I saw this happen was when Crystal Eilte was promoted to Contributing Editor... are you involved in anything similar? :)

etalianstallion
07-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Ok, thanks.

Which one would be more practical for storage, SD or CF? In other words, If I got a 802.11 card, which type would that be, so I wouldnt have to be switching back and forth from storage to 802.11.

Audio sounds fine for me.

For SD or CF, I would recommend SD for your memory simply because the SD slot on the Axim is not SDIO. Would have been nice if it was though since I hear there are SD wifi cards in the works.

Kati Compton
07-10-2003, 10:34 PM
EDIT: Uh, kati... you changed your name! 8O The last time I saw this happen was when Crystal Eilte was promoted to Contributing Editor... are you involved in anything similar? :)
<wink>

dh
07-10-2003, 11:30 PM
Nice one your Popeness!

Kevin C. Tofel
07-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Ok, thanks.

Keep in mind that the Axim currently does not support SDIO, meaning any peripheral type of device would be a CF card form factor. This leaves the SD as a memory \ storage slot only, so I would opt for SD memory....you will pay a premium of about 35% to 50% more for the SD memory. I say this somewhat hypocritically since I just picked up a 256 Mg CF card for my Axim, but I don't mind swapping memory for my Ethernet, WiFi or modem cards....it all depends on your preferences.

I know that at least one manufacturer has a CF combo card that's WiFi AND memory....obviously you'll pay more for that, but it gives you the best of both worlds.

RE: headphone port = it is a standard headphone jack, not a mini-jack. Any headphones you use in a Sony Walkman (am I showing my age???) device will fit. I encode my music in .wma files using VBR of approximately 75kbps and they sound perfectly fine. In fact they sound identical to the files in my CreativeLabs MUVO mp3 player. Unless you are a true audiophile, I think you'll be happy with quality headphones in the Axim. :way to go:

KCT

easylife
07-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Nice one your Popeness!

She's not anymore! 8O She's now a full-blown community moderator in training! :D Congratulations, kati42! 8)

Kati Compton
07-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Please post further comments on my status over here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14812&highlight=), as I don't want my first actions as a moderator to involve posts about me. ;)