View Full Version : recessed buttons on 2210 driving me nuts... suggestions?

droppedd
07-10-2003, 04:20 PM
the topic pretty much says it all. The app buttons on the 2210/2215 are so deep in the unit that I find it very difficult to do anything that involves pressing two buttons at once with one finger (as you do in most games you need to run and jump, or jump and shoot). I understand the reasoning for this (no accidental button presses with a flip cover), but it's kind of irritating. Is this just me? :?

There's something evil in that they release the first PPC you can play Super Mario World on at 30FPS, but then you just can't play it because you can't hold down X and press A at the same time. :evil: .

Does anyone have any ideas (ways to extend the buttons somewhat without using a dremel or superglue, preferably :wink: , like the snap-on faceplates they offer for Game Boy Advance)?
Alternatively, does anyone know of any plans for a thumbboard (preferably one that would work decently for games) for the 2210/15, or has anyone successfully gotten a 39xx series or other thumbboard working with the 2210 (eg by filing corners away so it fits properly with the bottom of the unit)?

mchang
07-11-2003, 03:11 AM
You can run to home depot and get small rubber feet. If you got nice clear ones that are self-adhesive, it would probably work just fine.

TawnerX
07-12-2003, 01:57 AM
You could try one of those toy acryllic from craft shop, and add a dimple on to the button.

Skitals
07-12-2003, 04:57 AM
haha, glue some googly eyes onto the buttons. You know the ones im talking about :)

madbart
07-13-2003, 03:13 AM
The best suggestion would be to buy a gameboy advanced sp. That will solve all your problems. You might even find that you have no need for an Ipaq! :lol:

droppedd
07-13-2003, 04:39 AM
The best suggestion would be to buy a gameboy advanced sp. That will solve all your problems. You might even find that you have no need for an Ipaq! :lol:

heheh - you're probably right. Although I actually DO use it as a PDA, and a GBA can't play mp3s or movies... plus I miss Secret of Mana from my SNES days, and the ability to carry around dozens of games on one SD card is pretty nice. The buttons issue is relatively minor, and even if the durned thing couldn't run SNES games i wouldn't mind... it's just annoying that it's capable of doing it, but physically the unit isn't really any good for it.

Skitals
07-13-2003, 05:31 AM
Then you will need a large flash cartridge for your GBA so you can put all your GBA roms on it and not carry around cartridges :) There is homebrew stuff for gba, you know.

droppedd
07-13-2003, 06:59 AM
Then you will need a large flash cartridge for your GBA so you can put all your GBA roms on it and not carry around cartridges :) There is homebrew stuff for gba, you know.

eh - I'd rather have SNES games anyways; there's a lot of stuff i like due to sentimental value. Even if i have to squint at the PPC screen.

I know there's homebrew for GBA, but all the same, i'd rather have a device that can at least pretend to be a productivity device :). Not to mention some of the flash carts for GBA can be expensive, and i've heard of compatibility issues with some games with saves. GBA SP = $100, 256 MB Flash Cart = $199. Total: $300, about what I paid for my 2210 with a 256 MB SD card.

Also, the GBA emulators that i've seen so far for PPC are trash; can't run too well. PocketSNES is great though. Plus I can use the PPC for NES, Game Boy, Genesis... you get the idea. and with 256 MB CF cards coming in under $40 if you shop around, well, that's about 30 64 megabit SNES cartridges per card (and most games are 1/2 or 1/4 that size). plenty space for enough games to keep me occupied for a year or two on my train rides (really the only time i have time to play video games). Not too shabby.

I think I may wind up doing the rubber feet... although I really think it would look sooo cool with googly eyes :D. I'm gonna go see if we have any left around the house - i recall some in a desk drawer a while ago, wonder if they're still there? If I end up doing that, i'll be sure to post pictures :).

madbart
07-13-2003, 10:26 AM
heheh - you're probably right. Although I actually DO use it as a PDA, and a GBA can't play mp3s or movies... plus I miss Secret of Mana from my SNES days, and the ability to carry around dozens of games on one SD card is pretty nice. The buttons issue is relatively minor, and even if the durned thing couldn't run SNES games i wouldn't mind... it's just annoying that it's capable of doing it, but physically the unit isn't really any good for it.

Please excuse my ignorance but where can i find the emulator and games so i can try it for myself? :lol:

droppedd
07-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Well now... the emulator's easy. PocketSNES is available at http://paqpark.nuclearfallout.net/projects/pocketsnes.php.
An emulator called PocketNESter is good for NES, and there's a commercial one called MorphGear that does a bunch of systems (although the NES and SNES emulation aren't as good as PSNES and NESter). Haven't mussed about with the other emulators yet, but there are ones for everything from Commodore 64 to WonderSwan. A good link to a list of a few of them:

http://www.pocketpcgamefaqs.com/door/emu.shtml

ROMs are easy enough to find; a complete 5 CD collection of every SNES ROM ever is available on ShareReactor.com through edonkey or shareaza. Individual ROMS can be gotten from ArchNacho & Tortilla Godzilla's Quality ROMS at qualityroms.com. But play nice - make sure you own the cartridge. Even though they don't make them anymore and there's no way to go out and buy a new copy of Contra 3. Bah. stupid non-expiring copyrights.

Skitals
07-13-2003, 07:58 PM
What would be really trick is if you took the ipaq apart, and put the spacers between the buttons and where they connect. Then it would look stock, and the buttons would be raised out of the machine.

droppedd
07-13-2003, 08:18 PM
What would be really trick is if you took the ipaq apart, and put the spacers between the buttons and where they connect. Then it would look stock, and the buttons would be raised out of the machine.

yeah but i'd prefer to wait at least a few weeks before i run amok voiding my warantee :D.