View Full Version : Auto light dim

rzanology
07-10-2003, 02:42 PM
This has been bugging me for 2 years now. Every time I get a new ppc I check to see if it has been fixed...and they never do. On my 3970, when you go to light options and click the automatic button, it does something that pisses me off. When there is more light it gets brighter, and less light it gets duller. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!! Maybe it’s just me but I’d live to have it the other way around. To me it would make more sense to have it dimmed in the daylight to save the battery. Does any one know of any software that can fix this crap.

tregnier
07-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Yeah! Me Too!! WTH is wrong. :devilboy:

easylife
07-10-2003, 04:30 PM
I think that the settings work just fine. :D Think of it like the backlight is competing with the surrounding light to get to your eyes. The more surrounding light there is, the brighter the setting has to be to even out the ratio ;) If you don't believe me, try using your Pocket PC in a no-light scenario on the lowest backlight setting and using it in a well lit (but not directly) setting. I have found that the low setting is fine in no-light situations but I have to turn up the backlight settings to view it in well lit situations. :mrgreen:

droppedd
07-10-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm sure it also depends on screen type - transmissive, reflective, and trans-reflective all deal much differently with external light (reflective being the best in direct light with transreflective being the best overall due to readability in daylight plus a backlight).
That said, my h2210's screen certainly needs to be on a brighter setting in sunlight (although it is still readable, unlike the LCD on my camera).

ghostppc
07-10-2003, 05:28 PM
I have found that the low setting is fine in no-light situations but I have to turn up the backlight settings to view it in well lit situations. :mrgreen:

I kind of understand what you're saying. Sometimes this is true in bright light. But it's a pain in the butt when it's dark and the screen wants to dim too.

rzanology
07-10-2003, 05:32 PM
i get what you guys are saying...and it is true, i do see better in sunlight with the screen on its brightest. But there should still be an option to let me reverse it. I'd like it better the other way...so im guessing there is no software that can help me do this.

Janak Parekh
07-10-2003, 06:16 PM
I think that the settings work just fine. :D Think of it like the backlight is competing with the surrounding light to get to your eyes.
Correct. Transflective is precisely the opposite of reflective in this regard.
rzanology, you can try searching for such a program, but I don't believe it exists. Let us know if you find it.

--janak

rzanology
07-10-2003, 07:05 PM
i'll try...maybe i should call compaq and curse out a few people lol...that should let me know that we want light in the dark.

PetiteFlower
07-11-2003, 06:13 AM
I don't know, I don't have an auto backlight thing on my axim but when I'm using it in bed in the dark before I go to sleep I have to turn the backlight way down otherwise it's so bright it hurts my eyes! It takes less light to be able to see it easily when it's dark--like seeing a movie or watching TV with the lights off, it makes the screen stand out more.