View Full Version : 2215 vs. e750?

kaphka
07-08-2003, 05:57 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new PPC pretty soon. (My last one was a Casio E-115, which is currently retired, because it's just a little too clunky.) I'm interested mainly in the ipaq 2215 and the Toshiba e750.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between these two models is that the 2215 has bluetooth, but the e750 has wifi (and is a little more expensive.) I'm going to need both bluetooth and wifi eventually, so for me the choice is between an e750 with an invisible low-profile bluetooth card, or a 2215 with a big antenna sticking out, for about $200 less.

Is there anything else I should be considering? (Please don't argue with the price difference, though, unless you can find an e750 for less than $469, or a 2215 for less than... wow... $293 for me. :D )

Jeff Song
07-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Given Toshibas horrible reptutation that is just getting worse every minute, I'd say go for the 2215. Its an awesome device, you won't regret it.

droppedd
07-08-2003, 06:28 PM
well, if clunkiness is an issue you may be better off with the 2210 (especially once SD wi-fi cards come out). It's a less bulky unit, as i understand it.

Also, have a look at the SMC wi-fi CF card - that's a fairly low-profile card, and even with that in, i believe you're still less bulky than a 750 (especially with an addon BT card, at least a CF one).

I was seriously looking at the Toshiba... but i've heard not-so-good things about some of their stuff, and particularly the lack of support for even fairly new units once PPC2003 came out. Added with the fact that i got the 2210 for $267, shipped, it was kinda a no-brainer for me.

JonnoB
07-08-2003, 06:29 PM
If you really want both (WiFi and BT), consider an iPaq 54xx or 55xx device. There will be more, I am sure.... but this is what is available now that has both.

PetiteFlower
07-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Will you need wifi and BT at the same time? Because you can get the 2215 and wifi and BT cards for less then the cost of the Toshiba. Probably not a LOT less, but a bit less :)

JonnoB
07-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Will you need wifi and BT at the same time? Because you can get the 2215 and wifi and BT cards for less then the cost of the Toshiba. Probably not a LOT less, but a bit less :)

In all cases, getting BT or WiFi as an add-on produces the less desirable 'sticking out antenna' and uses up a precious slot for a GPS receiver, memory, camera, etc.

spursdude
07-09-2003, 12:17 AM
The 2215 is much cheaper (like at $293) if you're a student. If you're not, you end up paying the full $399. You can get the Toshiba e755 with Pocket PC 2003 for $399 at Amazon after a mail-in rebate. Check this link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009K7ES/qid=1057706156/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-7832194-0143049?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846).

I would go for the e755... you'll still have the dual slots free, along with the WiFi built in.

PetiteFlower
07-09-2003, 01:58 AM
In all cases, getting BT or WiFi as an add-on produces the less desirable 'sticking out antenna' and uses up a precious slot for a GPS receiver, memory, camera, etc.

Well, I think it's up to the user to decide whether it's less desirable or not. Personally I think spending $700 on a PPC is WAY WAY WAY less desirable then well, just about anything! For most people BT and Wifi aren't things that they will need to be on constantly so using a slot for it isn't a big deal. If you want to not have the antenna sticking up(and some don't stick up very much at all), then you have to pay more for it; whether you're willing to do that is up to you.

There's also been talk that cards with "sticking up antennas" get better reception then built-in wireless, precisely because of the antenna. Do they use less battery also? I forget.

kaphka
07-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Thanks for all the input.

I should have made it clear that when I mentioned a "low profile" bluetooth card, I was thinking of the Socket bluetooth CF adapter (http://www.socketcom.com/product/BL4508-309.asp), which is completely internal. If I got an e750 and one of those, I could pretend I have both wifi and bluetooth built-in. I can't do that with the 2215+wifi.

Having said that, I'm leaning towards the 2215, because of the difference in price and reputation. But I still have to think about it.

JonnoB
07-09-2003, 02:26 AM
As mentioned by spursdude, if you are a student or educator, the 221x can be purchased for less than $300. Having mentioned price as a part of your decision, this could have big impact on your decision should you qualify.

jaja_75
07-09-2003, 08:45 PM
The e750 has an USB Host capability as well a VGA-out capability.

With an USB Host port, the PPC can be linked to a 30 Go external USB Hard Disk. 8)

With an USB Host port and a VGA-out, the PPC can be linked to an USB keyboard and a VGA monitor. :wink:

mashtim
07-09-2003, 10:47 PM
The Toshi750 is an amazing machine! Here's why it got my vote over the iPaqs:

3.8" screen vs 3.5" Granted, the screen isn't quite as nice as on most of the iPaqs, but it's pretty nice in and of itself.

32MB Flash ROM (There is no greater feeling of security than knowing that PocketBackup has backed up my PPC overnight into non-volatile memory that goes with me wherever I need it without having to carry another card with me)

Virtually unlimited expansion WITHOUT any sleds. CFII AND SDIO. MUCH easier to carry cards than sleds.

Scroll wheel. Need I say more?

Mic/headphone jack. Will be REALLY handy when VOIP becomes more mainstream.

I am using the Socket CF BT card and I barely even know it is there. When I don't need BT and want to just shut my eyes and listen to some tunes, I pop in a 512MB CF and am done with it. The same holds true for when I (admittedly, rarely) want to use my CF camera. The Toshi AND the Socket BT card cost about the same as the 5400, anyways, with much more versatility.

Emo Conservative
07-10-2003, 01:35 AM
The Toshi750 is an amazing machine! Here's why it got my vote over the iPaqs:

3.8" screen vs 3.5" Granted, the screen isn't quite as nice as on most of the iPaqs, but it's pretty nice in and of itself.

32MB Flash ROM (There is no greater feeling of security than knowing that PocketBackup has backed up my PPC overnight into non-volatile memory that goes with me wherever I need it without having to carry another card with me)

Virtually unlimited expansion WITHOUT any sleds. CFII AND SDIO. MUCH easier to carry cards than sleds.

Scroll wheel. Need I say more?

Mic/headphone jack. Will be REALLY handy when VOIP becomes more mainstream.

I am using the Socket CF BT card and I barely even know it is there. When I don't need BT and want to just shut my eyes and listen to some tunes, I pop in a 512MB CF and am done with it. The same holds true for when I (admittedly, rarely) want to use my CF camera. The Toshi AND the Socket BT card cost about the same as the 5400, anyways, with much more versatility.

You are completely wrong sir...

1) The iPAQ screen is great, the e750 is comparable to it but not that nice

2) iPAQ's come w/ iPAQ Backup to backup your PPC and it has 32MB of Flash ROM where it even sets aside space for non-volitile data such..

3) The iPAQ in question has both SD (SDIO Compatible) and Compact Flash slots without the need for Expansion Sleeves

4) Yes, the scroll wheel was removed to add grips on the side... But the D-Pad is extremely responsive, better than the e750

5) The iPAQ has both a microphone, built-in speaker, and a standard size headphone jack there to record notes, play MP3s and more

6) Bluetooth is built-in, wheter you have a device compatible with it or not yet, and it is handy so you don't have a Bluetooth card taking up the CF slot where you can have a Wi-Fi card in there instead and have both functionalities... Also it is only $399.00 from hp, and $300.02 from other retailers...

You must be thinking about another iPAQ device, because the one being discussed is the new hp iPAQ 2210/2215

spursdude
07-10-2003, 01:42 AM
1) The iPAQ screen is great, the e750 is comparable to it but not that nice

The extra .3" is actually quite useful... it helps ease the eyes just a bit. But regardless, anybody should be happy with either the e750's screen or the 2215's screen.

4) Yes, the scroll wheel was removed to add grips on the side... But the D-Pad is extremely responsive, better than the e750
On the flip side, I've heard the d-pad on the 2215 can be too responsive, as Ed has mentioned.. and having a scroll wheel is always better than not having one.

Anyways, I love both devices... I really don't know which one I would choose. The 2215 is slightly smaller, but then again it doesn't have the larger screen or integrated WiFi. But I would say I would go for the 2215, because it's cheaper and I don't necessarily need any wireless capabilities.

Emo Conservative
07-10-2003, 04:20 AM
On the flip side, I've heard the d-pad on the 2215 can be too responsive, as Ed has mentioned.. and having a scroll wheel is always better than not having one.

You can change the repeat rate to fit you perfectly :P

spursdude
07-10-2003, 04:44 AM
You can change the repeat rate to fit you perfectly :P
Ed mentioned that even when he turned the repeat rate all the way down, it was still way to responsive... sorry that I don't remember what thread this was in.

stonepro
07-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Wow -- if I was just entering the PPC market now I would be going nuts deciding between the two! :|

with that said: I chose the 2215

Why? 1= is an unfair reason 2= is more fair :wink:

1) Bad experience with Toshiba durability -- e740 screen broke twice. My iPAQ's were usually more durable -- probably becuase I was FORCED to use a sleeve if I wanted CF. My 3630 finally gave in to the reversed screen problem after 2+ years. My 5455 just broke (volume button snapped) when it fell onto a tile floor.

2) Smaller size of the 2215. After a couple of years with a PPC, I still find myself looking at Palm users, and being jealous of the small form factor -- they actually fit in a pocket comfortably. When the 1900 series came out -- WOW!!! -- but I hated the idea of going to a 200MHz processor (I jumped on the xscale wagon when the e740 came out). Now comes the 2200 series...

Pros: SDIO and CF, 400MHz (with the faster BUS, right?), built in Bluetooth (I would have preferred WiFi), and ALMOST AS SMALL AS THE 1900!!!

Cons: Have to carry around a CF Wifi Card (I don't leave it in the slot -- it seems that it would break).

Unbeatable.

Wish list?

Can someone make a Wifi CF card that fits onto the 2200 like a glove? -- IE, make the antenna fit closely to the top of the unit -- so it looks and feels "integrated".

droppedd
07-11-2003, 04:52 PM
2) iPAQ's come w/ iPAQ Backup to backup your PPC and it has 32MB of Flash ROM where it even sets aside space for non-volitile data such..
But only 3 MB of it on the 2210 is available for file storage (enough for your contacts and appointments, but not much else). But I agree iPaq Backup is good; I back up to my SD card regularly.

True. But this is a matter of preference. I miss the jog dial from my old clie; i used it all the time when reading books or using AvantGo, and the ability to use it as a hardware volume control (or an r/l button in PocketSNES :)) would be nice.

5) The iPAQ has both a microphone, built-in speaker, and a standard size headphone jack there to record notes, play MP3s and more
Actually, i'd like to back you up on this one; what you didn't mention is that additionally the 2210 is compatible with Bluetooth headsets. Which will be very nice for VoIP (once the headsets don't look as stupid as they do now).