View Full Version : Zagat aggravation

disconnected
07-08-2003, 12:24 AM
I think this is a pretty good app, except that it can't be installed to a storage card (major shortcoming), and it doesn't have as many cities as I'd like.

I just changed Pocket PCs, and it seems Zagat has been taking lessons from Microsoft. When I installed it to the new PPC, it wouldn't accept my old activation key. I emailed Zagat, and got this --

"Thank you for contacting Zagat Survey.

Per our "End User License Agreement" our ZAGAT TO GO software is designed and intended for use on one pc/device at a time, per purchase. To discourage and prevent any possible abuse of loading one purchase of the software on multiple units the program is coded as such to issue a new User ID if loaded on any additional devices.

Since you mentioned you purchased a new device, do you intend to replace your previous device or will you have Zagat To Go operating on multiple devices? If you plan to use Zagat To Go on multiple devices, you will be required to register your additional device and purchase an additional software license. Please visit http://www.zagat.com/ztg if you wish to register additional devices.

If you need to download the Zagat To Go software again, please visit http://www.zagat.com/ztg and select to "Purchase Download" for the device type you own. You will be able to download the program installer without having to enter a credit card information or repurchase the software.

If you have removed Zagat To Go from the original device and are going to upgrade to a different device, can you please forward me a copy of the new device purchase/exchange receipt for our records as well as the Zagat User ID number that is displayed on your new device so that I may request a replacement activation code?

To locate your Zagat User ID, run Zagat To Go on your device and tap "Subscribe".

You may fax a copy of your receipt to my attention at: 212-262-9798.

Thank you for your patience.

I look forward to your reply."

This seems like way too much trouble for an app that is kind of overpriced to begin with -- 30.00 a year.

droppedd
07-08-2003, 03:23 AM
and then they wonder why people download pirated software.

I think this is one case where it would be ethical to just crack the durned software rather than inconvenience both them and you with the whole reactivation process. After all, you're erasing it from your old PPC and you paid for the software.

Not that that means anything in these days of EULAs and shrink-wrap licenses. ah well. "intellectual property" is the most dangerous new term to enter our language in the last 100 years. Copyright and patent i can deal with; this newfangled license-to-install-but-it's-not-really-yours stuff can get pretty ridiculous.

PetiteFlower
07-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Wow, and the only reason I hadn't purchased the software so far was because it was overpriced! That's really LAME for such a minor piece of software as this....I can ALMOST understand for big important stuff like Windows and Office(though I still think those should be able to be installed on up to, say, 3 computers in the same household, under one license) but this is a freakin PPC app! That's just ridiculous.

disconnected
07-08-2003, 08:37 PM
I sent them a fairly lengthy email, comparing them unfavorably to Microsoft .lit ebooks (8 devices, I think), and other subscription models like Vindigo and Mapopolis (unlimited devices). They emailed back, almost immediately, apoligized, and sent me a new activation key.

I still think the app is a bit overpriced, but I'm much happier now -- and I've loaded the Seattle guide for my upcoming vacation. :D