View Full Version : PocketGear and developers...

juni
07-07-2003, 04:01 PM
I didn't like the letter I got from Pocket Gear as soon as I had posted some (non-adult :P ) themes on handango. I wonder if all software-sellers get the same one...

popabawa
07-07-2003, 04:19 PM
I didn't like the letter I got from Pocket Gear as soon as I had posted some (non-adult :P ) themes on handango.

OK, I'm intrigued....

If you don't mind sharing it with us, what did it say? (and why didn't you like it?)

juni
07-07-2003, 04:34 PM
OK, I'm intrigued....

If you don't mind sharing it with us, what did it say? (and why didn't you like it?)

Well, I would like to but it said that if I did I would be prosecuted (or something like that). How legal is that anyway?

Kati Compton
07-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Well, I would like to but it said that if I did I would be prosecuted (or something like that). How legal is that anyway?
Did you agree to it, either obviously or implicitly? If not, it probably isn't, but I'm not a lawyer.

I doubt I could just send you a nasty note and say in it "if you post this you will be prosecuted" and have that be true.

But they might have something where if you upload something, you're agreeing to some terms, and one of them is to not post that note.

juni
07-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Did you agree to it, either obviously or implicitly? If not, it probably isn't, but I'm not a lawyer.

No, I did not ask for the email from PocketGear, and I have never posted anything on their site. I was curious if any other developers have gotten the same thing though: You upload something to Handango and soon you get an email from PocketGear.

Kati Compton
07-07-2003, 04:44 PM
No, I did not ask for the email from PocketGear, and I have never posted anything on their site. I was curious if any other developers have gotten the same thing though: You upload something to Handango and soon you get an email from PocketGear.
Sounds like you can post it all you want then. But again, I am not a lawyer.

othell
07-08-2003, 04:12 AM
You should have no worries. It was an unsolicited email. If by reading it they say you agreed to it... that's BS and cannot be held up in a court of law. Even EULA's have been ruled not very binding within the confines of the law.

So post away... We're all interested to see this! :mrgreen:

*NOTE* I AM NOT A LAWYER EITHER... but I know BS when I see it. :D

ppcinfo
07-08-2003, 05:45 AM
I've noticed that when I post a new application on Handango, I also get an email from PocketGear shortly after asking if I would like to post the same application on their site. I usually do anyways, so it's not a big deal to me.

ppcinfo

juni
07-08-2003, 07:41 AM
I've noticed that when I post a new application on Handango, I also get an email from PocketGear shortly after asking if I would like to post the same application on their site. I usually do anyways, so it's not a big deal to me.

So, that means that PocketGear runs an email-gatherer bot on handango which extracts email addresses from software being posted and then sends out the invite to upload to PocketGear... I figured it was some sort of automated process. Unethical, I suppose.