View Full Version : CF woes

felixdd
07-07-2003, 08:27 PM
I was copying stuff from a desktop onto my CF card through a USB CF reader today -- and all appeared well until it suddenly stopped copying and gave me a "the specified file cannot be found" error -- even though I'm staring at the file right on the monitor. I then look at my CF card and there were around 10 gibberish files and directories (gibberish names...with nonsensical file sizes like "27 gb" and "300 mb").

Now, whenever I go over approx 190 mbs on my CF card (256 mb total) it will give me that error -- and after that error there will be gibberish files and folders that I can't delete (another "specified file..." error). It seems that the gibberish MIGHT go away by "repairing it" with SoftWinter's StorageTools. However, I've found instances where I had to format the card to get rid of everything. Scanning the CF card after repairing and after formatting doesn't give me any errors, so unless it doesn't scan for physical damage I can't see how my card is damaged.

Now the question: how do I fix my CF card? I don't feel like buying another card -- I've only had this one for a year.

And it'll be my last "no name" card ever! Both of my "no name" cards have ran into trouble, causing me to lose valuable data, while my SanDisks have worked flawlessly! :evil:

hgwte
07-07-2003, 08:41 PM
I had the same issue when I was installing an application to my CF card. I had to re-format the card and re-installed all the data from scratch. What might be helpful is to backup your CF card to your harddrive (it's cheaper than having two CF cards. I used the Storage Utility software... :mrgreen:

felixdd
07-07-2003, 08:45 PM
I did that...I formatted at least 5 times now...and I also have a backup of the card on the computer. But I can't copy everything into the card without the error message and am thus unable to completely move everything into the card