View Full Version : CF card power drain in turned-off iPAQ?

Xanadu
07-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Hi all,

HP's manual for the 2215 states that I shouldn't leave a CF card installed when the unit is powered off. I find this a bit frustrating, because I was planning to get a nice 512MB CF card and install almost all of my applications to the card itself, rarely removing it from its slot.

How bad is the power drain? Is it negligible enough to ignore?

Thanks,

Xan

Janak Parekh
07-07-2003, 06:46 PM
That's a weird prompting -- I'd assume that's only the case when you leave something like a CF Wi-Fi card in, which can cause a huge drain. Given my previous experiences with iPAQs, I can't imagine how leaving a flash memory card in would be a problem. Battery drain is minimal.

--janak

Jason Dunn
07-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Ignore this warning - it makes very little difference.

sbrown23
07-07-2003, 07:46 PM
That's a weird prompting -- I'd assume that's only the case when you leave something like a CF Wi-Fi card in, which can cause a huge drain.
--janak

i found that one out the hard way! never had a CF wlan card before, so I left it in thinking that there would be no power drain since the 2215 was off. battery ran down and i got to start all over reinstalling my apps, etc. DOH!!! :idea:

Xanadu
07-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone! It did seem a little absurd to me. I'll watch out for WiFi power drain when I pick up Socket's SD offering in a few weeks.

-Xan