View Full Version : HP Preparing For Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Cell Phone In One Device

Ed Hansberry
07-07-2003, 01:00 PM
<a href="http://www.mobilecommerceworld.com/Tmpl/article.asp?CID=1&AID=20839&TCode=NW&T1=7/7/2003">http://www.mobilecommerceworld.com/Tmpl/article.asp?CID=1&AID=20839&TCode=NW&T1=7/7/2003</a><br /><br />"Hewlett-Packard has revealed it is planning to introduce a handheld PDA that would combine the features of WiFi and Bluetooth with the convenience of a mobile phone."<br /><br />It is planning to launch the device in 2004.

rzanology
07-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Its about time...a little too late if you ask me. I hope they make it a clam shell design....im tired of ugly non-bluetooth smartphones.

freitasm
07-07-2003, 02:10 PM
The only reason why I still don't have a Windows Mobile smartphone is the lack of Bluetooth. The Nokia 3650 is great for now.

I'm really tempted to get the PPCW.Net MS Smartphone, but I'd wait just to get Bluetooth. Of course have to compare with Dell's upcoming device too.

MooseMaster
07-07-2003, 02:15 PM
I'd like to see the thing, first. If it's even half the size of the H5000 series PocketPCs then that's far too big to be a viable solution for me. I'd prefer smaller than the H19xx.

Vincent M Ferrari
07-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Sounds like the Wanda...

I welcome it, frankly, regardless of its size. If it's on GSM (which it most likely will be) and you need a smaller phone for "dress" occasions, pop your SIM into your current phone and use that instead.

SilverSealAMW
07-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Is this going to be a PocketPC Phone Edition, or a Smartphone? :?:

WyattEarp
07-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Is this going to be a PocketPC Phone Edition, or a Smartphone? :?:

I would guess it is to be a Pocket PC Phone Edition. It would be easier for them to produce by just adding the Phone features which they probably already have.

I look forward to one of those. Smartphones are just to small to do anything with but make calls IMO. Give me an iPAQ and a Bluespoon bluetooth headset and I'm off.

MultiMatt
07-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Is this going to be a PocketPC Phone Edition, or a Smartphone? :?:I'm only guessing, but this device will likely resemble a Pocket PC much more than a smart phone.
I would also guess that it will be no smaller than the current 5400/5500 series. They've got a lot of stuff to pack in there....

If they were taking pre-orders now, I'd already be signed up! This is potentially my dream device!:rock on dude!:

Matt

Jeff Rutledge
07-07-2003, 03:12 PM
This is potentially my dream device!:rock on dude!:

Matt

Mine as well, but I'm not sure I'm interested in waiting until 2004. Q1 maybe. I might opt for a different PPCPE that has integrated BT and SDIO. Who knows though. The waiting is difficult eh? Still, I'm excited as what's coming down the pipe.

R K
07-07-2003, 03:43 PM
We're in for some nice competition here between this device and O2's XDA2 device.

PPCPE with BT and Camera vs PPCPE with BT and WiFi.
The size will also probably play a big role in the decision factor.
Did anybody get a chance to see how small that WANDA device was?

adamz
07-07-2003, 04:10 PM
I hope it still works with Expansion packs. :)
I totally want one!! Or whichever Pocket PC Phone Edition device that has GSM/GPRS and bluetooth comes out first.

danmanmayer
07-07-2003, 04:54 PM
It looks like from all the offerings i will be buying a new pocket pc in 2004. Until then my T-mobile with unlimited data will have to do. Go HP cuase the version dell is claiming to make would probably weight enough to anchor my boat. (arrrgggg i dont have a boat.)

droppedd
07-07-2003, 05:16 PM
am i imagining things, or do i recall a few months back an article with HP saying they have no plans to produce an integrated pda/phone due to lack of market demand according to their studies? Nice to see them change their tune.

theon
07-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Haven't even released the latest batch of iPaqs here yet and the next ones are announced already... 8O Now what do I do? Might have to get both... :mrgreen:

David C
07-07-2003, 06:37 PM
We're in for some nice competition here between this device and O2's XDA2 device.

PPCPE with BT and Camera vs PPCPE with BT and WiFi.
The size will also probably play a big role in the decision factor.
Did anybody get a chance to see how small that WANDA device was?

I don't want to choose. I want it all. Can I have something with BT/Wifi Phone and a camera? Especially if they can make the camera with the technology from the Minolta Dimage X http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagex/ small and flat reflective optical zoom. Also a 640x480 screen resolution if possible.

... ah, maybe in a few more years.

xbee
07-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Although the inroads towards a convergent device with BT and wifi is inevitable, HP is not the only manufacturer with that in mind. Dell has announced similar plans as well as a taiwanese company that bought the wanda reference design. However, the sequel to the XDA is bound to come out with the best device so far. Aside from the tech already mentioned, they are also integrating a built in camera to complete the mix. The XDA2 will be the UBER device and it is slated to launch at year's end. :multi:

Excalliber
07-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Why doesn't TI just release the WANDA? It uses their chips exclusively... I'd buy it :D

whydidnt
07-07-2003, 11:17 PM
The XDA2 will be the UBER device and it is slated to launch at year's end. :multi:

Have you heard anything about the size? If it's as big as the current XDA, then it misses the mark as an UBER device in my mind. Look at the cool Palm based clamshell style phones Samsung is releasing. If someone could cram a PocketPC into one of those, then you would have THE UBER device. :clap:

Whydidnt

moaske
07-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Look at the cool Palm based clamshell style phones Samsung is releasing. If someone could cram a PocketPC into one of those, then you would have THE UBER device. :clap:

Whydidnt
It believe it is also Samsung who will be coming with clamshell type SmartPhone 2003 devices :rock on dude!: (or should i say: "Windows Mobile 2003, smartphone edition"). These will have a camera integrated as well.
I guess that would sort of forfill your wish ? ;) (though it's not PocktPC)

dma1965
07-08-2003, 12:37 AM
HP (Compaq) has been talking about releasing a phone device for so long I no longer even pay attention to what they say. The GSM pack has been out nearly 2 years and the US has still never seen it, and when I went to a conference the rep was insistent that the iPaq phone device would be on the US market by this summer, which is now, and still no device. I have been tied to the iPaq framework since day one with my Pocket PC devices, but will switch in a minute if a decent device ever makes it to the market. I am just floored at companies that still continue to release devices with only 32 megs of RAM in them. I am not as concerned with size as I am with functionality and reliability, and it MUST use GSM because I feel, quite frankly, any other device architecture is a complete waste of time. I want my phone to work anywhere in the world I travel to, and that means GSM. :!:

limit
07-13-2003, 05:52 AM
I hope it will have dual slots like the 2210...

Jon Westfall
08-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Sorta interesting to see this and contrast our hopes & dreams with the h6315. Won some, lost some!