View Full Version : Registry tweak without backing up; can I recover?!

Brian Johnson
07-07-2003, 04:01 AM
I did a registry tweak without backing up my T-Mobile's registry. (I hear a collective "Dumb, dumb, dumb" out there). :oops:
I changed the default SIP input from keyboard to calligrapher and upon a soft reset, the unit shows the introductory flash screen but then just hangs at a blank screen now.

Any advice? I'm just too scared to do a hard reset at this point without some sort of guidance. I have always been using ActiveSync's auto backup feature when I synchronize... but at this stage it doesn't help because when I try to dock and possibly recover from the last backup file, ActiveSync doesn't recognize the device and thus won't allow me to do anything. Anybody have any advice.... other than always backup the registry before playing with it! :oops:

Wow, I've learned a valuable lesson possibly too late though!

spursdude
07-07-2003, 04:05 AM
Well if you've been doing the auto-backup, you should be fine with doing a hard reset then a restore. (although I haven't ever really toyed around with ActiveSync backup features)

Brian Johnson
07-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Thanks for reply. That's what I kinda thought, having to do a hard reset.

Guess I'll see just how reliable ActiveSync's backup feature really is.

Brian Johnson
07-08-2003, 12:41 AM
Hey, that was a breeze! Everythings back to normal.

Hard reset the device and then did ActiveSync backup restore. My fear was the dreaded ActiveSync backup that so many people have said is weak at best.... but it worked like a charm for me.

PetiteFlower
07-08-2003, 01:43 AM
I've never had a problem with restoring a backup from AS; my only problem was when the backup file became corrupted and then AS wouldn't recognize my device! But other then that it's worked fine for me :)