View Full Version : Does anyone use a Pocket PC and a Palm on a daily basis?

sjmcloughlin
07-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Excuse me if this is a daft question I am hoping its not but is there anyone like me who uses both a Palm and a Pocket PC? My example is that, ok, I have a Tungsten C and I do like it, except Palm, (being Palm) failed to deliver the goods and provide bluetooth drivers for their SD bluetooth card. This being the case I went ahead and purchased a 2210 IPAQ to help bridge the gap, which I think is great and also fits in with my work more. The hastle to me with the Palm is obviously although I can connect using WiFi built with my Palm I am unable to say, walk down the street and turn on my Palm and check my email. Try lining up your IR port with your cellphone whilst walking. So there is why I use the 2210. Also I prefer Pocket Word on Windows Mobile because at least I know that if I send a Word attachment from Pocket Inbox the user will obviously receive it. It can be a pain and a hastle to do this on a Palm. On the other hand the web browser on the Tungsten C is lightening fast It was a difficult decision to make however before the 2210 I had a 5450 and again used the IPAQ for the same reasons. Steve Litchfield, a webmaster for another PDA website called 3-LIB once wrote an editorial on how he used a Palm handheld and a Psion Series 5 together here is the url:

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/sleepingwith.htm

I just wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat. Oh, by the way I am happy using both handhelds and as I have said in another thread on PPC Thoughts, both OS have their merits and I think it will be exciting to see the future of Windows Mobile and Palm. Although again, as I have mentioned elsewhere Palm really does need to innovate if it wishes to continue its lead however Windows Mobile has certainly some nice features and I personally think is a good Operating System. Thank You for any views, Sammy

Sammy McLoughlin (Editor of Palmaddict)
http://palmaddicts.blogspot.com/
Palmaddict is a website written by Palm enthusiasts covering views and opinion in the Palm community and is updated multiple times a day

spursdude
07-06-2003, 01:41 AM
You can check out this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9074). I personally only use a Pocket PC, though.

tourdewolf
07-06-2003, 01:45 AM
I too use both. I use a hanspring treo for my cellphone and personal pda, calculator, dictionary, pocket bible, instant messenger (among other things). Now tmobile has unlimited internet so it is a handy web tool (albiet sloooooow) however the screen is small and not as crisp as my new 2210 (sweet). I use the ppc mostly for school, excel is much better IMO on ppc and althought I think wordsmith for the palm beats pocket word hands down it is a more pleasurable experience with the ppc (screen). And there is no qestion as to the multimedia capabilities of the ppc, I have owned just about every palm sold and IMO the ppc definately out shines the palm. Not to mention wifi with a cf card while on campusDon't get me wrong I love my treo, very very handy but I too have come to rely on the ppc as well. I guess for me the real negative side of using both is having to use outlook (and of course the fact that I have to use both). Pocketmirror pro does a great job but it would be great if I could sync the ppc with the palm desktop (for me anyways). While I am at there are always a few other things for the wish list:

If only the 2210 had a detachable thumbboard, and hard case
If only the treo had an sd slot for backup, and a brighter screeen
If only I were able to get the treo to reliable hotsync over network
If only I could stream movies from my dvd player on my pc to my ppc
If only...

My .02
TD

blusparkles
07-10-2003, 02:05 PM
I have a Palm Zire 71 (a recent acquisition) and an iPAQ 3970. I like my Zire because it's small, and its crisp 320 x 320 screen is just gorgeous. The built-in camera is also lots of fun. I prefer using my Zire for reading, because the higher resolution is much easier on the eyes. I also love using Zlauncher - now why the hell don't we have kick ass launchers like these for the Pocket PC? And don't even talk to me about Pocket Launcher. I am also one of the many Bejeweled addicts out there. So yeah, basically use my Zire for reading eBooks and Avantgo, playing Bejeweled and smiling at my brightly coloured launcher. Occasionally I'll use HPC Notes on it (though the Palm OS version is highly crippled when compared to the Pocket PC version - use it for simple notes only) with Fitaly keyboard (using the Fitaly Stamp silkscreen overlay) for text entry.

Everything else I do on my Pocket PC. I have a few books in MS Reader format (what the hell was I thinking?) so do some reading on it, though after the higher res screen on the Zire, it's hard to go back to 240 x 320. PIM on the Pocket PC beats anything on the Palm hands down. I have tried Agendus Professional and it doesn't touch Pocket Informant or Agenda Fusion in functionality - definitely has the edge in speed (on my iPAQ 3970 anyway) and intuitive UI, but it's lacking in many of the features that I'm used to in Pocket Informant, such as multiple categories (though this is an OS thing), hierarchical tasks, sophisticated category filtering and inline detail in the month view (to mention just a few). I've tried multimedia on the Zire and am not inspired - would take the Pocket PC anyday for playing music and playing video files.

But I love them both and take them both with me everywhere I go (as well as my SPV smartphone and 30GB iPod :D