View Full Version : Bluetooth networking iPaq

null_
07-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Heres the goal: I want the iPaq (h3970, ppc2002) to work in of one of two networks. One network is an ordinary ethernet with desktop computers. The other one, and here's where the iPaq should be, is a bluetooth network. These two networks are linked over a win2k pro desktop with an ordinary ethernet nic and a bluetooth usb adapter. The desktop computer obtains an ip from the router it's connected to.
How do I get the pda to connect to the desktop computer?

Do i need a bluetooth access point or are most usb plugs equipped with software to be able to work as one?

Does the PDA need to obtain an ip from the desktop computer?
if yes:
How do I get it to do that?
Do i need a DHCP server in order to make it work?

The software works properly when connected over the usb wire.

Any ideas are welcome!
/null

null_
07-06-2003, 01:54 AM
found a mini-howto at http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=445
but when doing it that way i cant reach internet from the host machine...
need to read some major boring networking sh*t...

...if noone here's got a clue on how to do it. :wink:

Janak Parekh
07-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Yes, those instructions are largely what you want to do. My experience is that you must enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) for it to work. Mind you, if your "main" network is in the 192.168.x.x zone you'll have problems unless you reprogram ICS to use a different subnet... (anyone remember how to do that?)

--janak

Wiseblood
07-06-2003, 04:49 AM
put it another way, what WiFi hardware doesn't preclude ICS? I have all but given up on trying to get my Netgear router to work with Bluetooth.

Janak Parekh
07-06-2003, 06:40 AM
put it another way, what WiFi hardware doesn't preclude ICS? I have all but given up on trying to get my Netgear router to work with Bluetooth.
Wha? That's a completely different question. :) You don't need ICS on your desktop PC for any WiFi setup that has a Internet-sharing router...

--janak

null_
07-06-2003, 12:20 PM
That's what I've got...
Now, when trying the application I just pull the wire from the nic and click share network... my desktop computer will then act as a DHCP server for the bluetooth network. I also tried to change the IP of the router to 192.168.0.11 and told it not to act as a dhcp server. Still i couldn't access the wired lan or the internet (even though i put the plug in the nic in again) :D

So, how to do it then?

My router does not have any bluetooth slots. Are there routers with both bluetooth and wired slots available? What's the price and what brands are there?