View Full Version : Help on a solution for mobile on site survey

sunping
07-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

We are thinking about web-based solutions for computer facilitated surveys. A possible way is to use regular PCs, cluster them into a WIFI connected LAN, then configure one of the machines as server and turn all other machines into client PCs and submit data real time to the server. (i.e., through web-based surveys, with javascript enabled web-based surveys) A server client configuration is a plus because the survey administrator will be able to monitor the survey progress realtime.

However, if we are to survey all the students in a classroom, the to carry >30 regular computers might be too large and heavy for us to deal with easily. So, I am now trying to search for handheld devices with built-in WIFI connection for the surveyee side computer. The screens for Pocket PCs like iPaq might be too small for comfortable usage, the kind of devices like NEC mobilePro 880 might be ideal but it does not have built in WIFI.

Do you know any device that might be good for such porposeyour? We will also appreciate your opinion if you know of any other possible ways to render mobile surveys.

Thanks!

Ping

Pony99CA
07-06-2003, 01:22 AM
Would something like the Perseus MobileSurvey (http://www.pocketpccity.com/articles/2003/6/2003-6-19-Perseus-Mobilizes-Survey.html) help?

I also seem to recall some data gathering/polling/survey application mentioned on the home page in the last month or two, but I can't seem to find it now.

Steve