View Full Version : Sending Verizon Email from h1945

charlynu
07-04-2003, 04:37 PM
I've successfully configured my h1945 with the T-Mobile GRPS service on my Ericsson T39 phone using Bluetooth. I can receive emails using the Pocket PC 2003 email client via my verizon.net account. However, I can't send any emails via that account. I understand that it used to be the case that merely having first received an email via the verizon account on the device in question was sufficient authentication to enable you to send an email via that account. Now some sort of formal authentication process is required.

My question, is there any way using the Pocket PC 2003 email client to achieve that authentication for outgoing emails? I know that on the Agendus email client for Palm's there's a box to check in configuring that client to allow authentication to be given. Any thing similar for the Pocket PC 2003 client? If not, is there a third-party email client that I can install on my h1945 that will allow this authentication to occur so I can send emails via my verizon account using my h1945?

Many thanks.

Janak Parekh
07-04-2003, 05:50 PM
Under Options in Pocket PC 2002 while configuring the service, you can specify that "outgoing server requires authentication". I'd imagine it's still there in Pocket PC 2003.

Or, try a different tack -- for your outgoing mail (SMTP) server, try myemail.t-mobile.com. This works great for me in the Northeast, and in theory shouldn't require authentication.

--janak

Dave Beauvais
07-04-2003, 06:48 PM
I made a page on this subject a while back. The feature is called SMTP Auth and Pocket PC 2002 does support it to a point. You can't actually specify the username and password to use for the server. Instead, it uses the same login info as the incoming mail server. My page is here (http://www.beauvais1.com/ppc/smtpauth.html). I don't have Pocket PC 2003 for my h5455 yet, but I'd assume the dialogs are laid out in much the same way in PPC 2003's Inbox. You might also try Janak's suggestion of a different SMTP server.

--Dave

charlynu
07-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks Janak and Dave, searched the options configuration for the inbox in my h1945 and found the authentication configuration option. Set that for "authentication" and, bingo, emails were sent. Worked like a charm.

Thanks again,

Charlie