View Full Version : this this a dumb idea..

solus
07-04-2003, 06:39 AM
I've saw the hp1910 for the first time at CompUSA the other day (ya ya, i'm slow), and I fell in love with its size. It just felt like I could use it more and take it with me more places than I could my 400mhz axim and its behemoth case. I was considering selling my axim in the buy&sell forum or trading for a hp1910. Is this stupid? Size seems to be an important factor to me, I didn't think it would be when I got the Axim... but turns out to be. the 1910 looks nice too :mrgreen:

Can anyone come with logical reason to keep the Axim given the aforementioned, and considering other devices out there, other than just the 1910...

Thanks for input.

TopDog
07-04-2003, 06:57 AM
I see your point. I'm using my PPC less and less for those power multmedia/games operations, and would like a smaller PPC than the Axim.

...but I'm saving for the iPaq h1940. I need bluetooth, and SDIO would be nice, so I can use cameras and WiFi as soon as they are available at a reasonable prize.

And I need the drivers to my Pocketop Keyboard to come out for the h1940 first...

GoldKey
07-04-2003, 02:11 PM
I was real close to trading my Axim for the 2215. Not quite as small as the 1910, but still much better form factor plus, you get to keep the features of the Axim, SD and CF, and get some other cool things (Nevo and consumer IR were it for me). However, this was the dealbreaker for me. I watch a lot of movies on my Dell and when I played with the 2215 at BB, I really did not like having the speaker on the back. Little thing but that combined with the lack of a Jog dial were enough not to make it worth the upgrade. If those things don't matter much too you, the 2215 might be a better alternative to the 1910.

volwrath
07-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Dont forget about Battery life. the life on the 1910s are about 1/2 that of the axim

solus
07-04-2003, 06:08 PM
I'm going to go to Best Buy & CompUSA today and take my Axim with me to compare a few things with some of the iPaq devices.. the 2215 looks interesting. I'll look at some devices and then probably make a decision. I'll post when I get back..

solus
07-05-2003, 05:04 AM
I'm worried that if I get the 2210, the size difference between it and the Axim won't be that great and won't result in more use - I need more pics.... am I overestimating the size of the 2210? The 1940 is quite tempting, w/ the samsung processor - however battery life is almost an hour less than the 2210..and an LOT less than the AXIM.. which I am willing to give up. The bat life between 2210 and 1940 though ..eh.

delfuhd
07-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Yes, you are overestimating the size... if you go here (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81008&perpage=10&pagenumber=18) you'll find a lot of pics comparing the h2200 to the axim, 1910, and lots of other ppc's.. MUCh difference, the Axim looks like a goliath next to the h2200. And the h2200 is almost as small as the 1900 series, just larger by a few millimeters.. I'd suggest an h2200 is a good idea..

solus
07-06-2003, 06:00 AM
Whoaa! I really was overestimating the size. I just saw the 2215 and the 1940 at CompUSA. They are incredibly small and incredibly good looking! The 2215 especially looks incredible. I'm deff going to sell the Axim, but dunno when. Let me know if your interested - I'll post on the Buy&Sell forum and put on eBay later (gimme your best offer, I have all original documentation, cradle, all in perfect condition because of lite use]). I saw the Clie's also...the NX70V..the one with the swivel display. Those were also extremely attractive. If i'm thinking about spending $399 on a 2215 or $299 for a 1940, might as well look at what else is available for that price range. Those Clie's are the only thing that would stop me from getting the 2215 or 1940. 2215 is tempting b/c it has wireless, which would be helpful when I go to college. ahhhhhhh decisions... :?:

EDIT:
Mac compatibility is something I'm also interested in. I'm not sure as to how well PPC's play with Mac's, but my next computer will be a Mac, so....yah. Mac compatiblity = good. So basically I need:

-Wireless (801.11b or g)
-Mac compatible
-More pocket friendly than Axim (the swivel display type Clie's seem to be ok, not sure yet)
-Cool looking, of course... :rock on dude!: :mrgreen:

PetiteFlower
07-06-2003, 07:58 AM
I think most of the people in here already have a dell :)

Anyway I don't think there's any way to get a PPC to sync with a Mac unless you're running a Windows emulator(or whatever it's called, I don't use Macs) on it. Other then that I think you're stuck with Palm.

James Fee
07-06-2003, 03:57 PM
there are two ways i know to sync w/ mac.

1. http://www.pocketmac.net
2. http://www.markspace.com/pocketpcpreview.html

If you want to use Entourage, pocketmac is the only one that works. Missing sync uses iSync which I prefer.