View Full Version : WiFi Cards with iPaq 2215 Experiences

Jimmy Dodd
07-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Can anyone with a 2215 comment on their experience with using a WiFi card on this little fellow. I'm interested in what brands people are using and if they've had success or not. Anecdotes welcome.

medic119
07-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Symbol/Socket LowPower WiFi card had no problems after I loaded the PPC2003 driver. I had to hard reset to fix an issue caused by loading the 2002 drivers first

Ambicom WiFI card. Same thing. Used the beta WinCE.Net WiFi Drivers and had no problems.

DoughboyWebDev
07-03-2003, 03:36 PM
I am using the DLink Air 660 card. It works fantastically with no bugs so far.

Mexico
07-03-2003, 04:40 PM
WCF12 from Linksys doesn't work for CRAP! I'm so mad at those guys... I really don't feel like spending another 80 bucks because of their lack of brains. :evil: What a dumb way to lose customers. Ok, back to happy. :D

ToeCutter
07-03-2003, 05:44 PM
I second the praise for the Ambicom. It works perfectly with zero issues. New WinCE 4.0 drivers are available on the website.

Also, this card has one of the smallest antennas I've seen on a CF Wi-Fi card. It's half as thick as the Netgear and Linksys models.

WyattEarp
07-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Many manufacturers have updated there drivers for PPC '03, so get those first before using these cards. Some drivers for PPC '02 are not totally compatible with PPC '03.

Jimmy Dodd
07-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Anybody have any experience with the SMC EZ Connect CF card. There's a $40 rbate that brings the price down to $29.99.

absolutVenky
07-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Socket has the best power mgmt I've seen. Sure the other brands are offering rebates while Socket is still about $100 but you get the benefit of being able to use the card all day.

WyattEarp
07-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Socket has the best power mgmt I've seen. Sure the other brands are offering rebates while Socket is still about $100 but you get the benefit of being able to use the card all day.

I agree with you 100%. I have one and its great. The new software even allows certificates which is a great improvement. You can also add Symbol to the "Greatest List"; theirs is just as goog as Socket's.

Sooner Al
07-06-2003, 12:08 PM
...that the D-Link DCF-650W works on a 2215 device...

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33656

JohnJohn
07-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Not mentioned yet so...

I am very impressed with my Netgear CF 802.11b. It work right out of the box on my 2215. I believe Netgear did a driver update also, but I was/am having no issues.

droppedd
07-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Anybody have any experience with the SMC EZ Connect CF card. There's a $40 rbate that brings the price down to $29.99.

I've been told it does work, although it doesn't have WM2003 specific drivers yet, so you miss out on some advanced features for now, until new drivers are available. For more on that see the WM2003 wi-fi driver thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14396).

And where did you find it for $30 - i may jump in on that, being that my new 2210 is coming tomorrow and we have wi-fi AP's all over campus :-)[/url]

Jimmy Dodd
07-07-2003, 01:48 PM

I've been told it does work, although it doesn't have WM2003 specific drivers yet, so you miss out on some advanced features for now, until new drivers are available. For more on that see the WM2003 wi-fi driver thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14396).

And where did you find it for $30 - i may jump in on that, being that my new 2210 is coming tomorrow and we have wi-fi AP's all over campus :-)[/url]

CompUSA has it for $69.99 with a mail in $40 rebate. I picked one up but haven't opened it up yet - I was waiting to verify that it will work with the 2215. If you open it you have to pay a restocking fee if you return it.

Hyperluminal
07-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Yep, I just got one the other day. It works fine, although I haven't tried the advanced features yet... just getting it on the network. You do have to install a driver from SMC first, though.

Jimmy Dodd
07-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Yep, I just got one the other day. It works fine, although I haven't tried the advanced features yet... just getting it on the network. You do have to install a driver from SMC first, though.

Where did you get the driver (link please)? I've looked their site over and didn't see anything about WM2003 or PPC 2003. I haven't gotten a response from their tech support yet, either.

Hyperluminal
07-07-2003, 04:26 PM
I can't get you the URL right now, since I'm on my PPC, and the site doesn't seem to want to work on it, but it's actually just the driver for CE 3, and it works fine on my 2215 (I'm using it right now ;) ). It's either on the card's main SMC page, or on the download page. If you don't see it, I'll try to find it when I get back to my PC... :)

Jimmy Dodd
07-07-2003, 06:26 PM
If it's the PPC 3.0 driver then I guess that's what was included on the CD from SMC. I have installed it and, after setting my configs to match my local network, it seems to work fine. I miss the integrated WiFi of my old e740 but I think this will do just fine.

It'll be even better when the $40 rebate arrives. :wink:

Hyperluminal
07-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Is it on the CD? I didn't see it mentioned on the CD label, and my PC didn't want to read it, so rather than try to get it to read it, I just downloaded te driver. :)

Jimmy Dodd
07-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Is it on the CD? I didn't see it mentioned on the CD label, and my PC didn't want to read it, so rather than try to get it to read it, I just downloaded te driver. :)

Yea, it's on the CD. There are actually both a CE and a big windows driver. The disc didn't autoread for me either, but Explorer did read it. It seems to be working fine.

I also received a response from SMC that they would be posting a driver for 2003 when it is complete. They were pretty vague, so I'm not holding my breath.

Red Dawn
07-09-2003, 08:27 AM
Symbol/Socket LowPower WiFi card had no problems after I loaded the PPC2003 driver. I had to hard reset to fix an issue caused by loading the 2002 drivers first

Hi

i'm a new PPC user who just bought a HP 2210 and a symbol wifi Cf card. i can't seem to find the WM2003 drivers for the symbol wifi card...... may i know where did u get urs?

my symbol wifi is model LA-4137 (called the Spectrum 24 high rate Wireless networker)

thanks in advance :)

JonnoB
07-09-2003, 08:41 AM
my symbol wifi is model LA-4137 (called the Spectrum 24 high rate Wireless networker)

thanks in advance :)

The symbol is the same card as the one from socket. Use their driver to see if it works. I have heard it does work well.

dac035
07-10-2003, 02:11 AM
Belkin's PDA CF Wireless Card does not work.

I tried support and called them. I could not understand anyone. Everyone had a heavy accent from India. :?:

From what I can interprete, they do not have a driver for Windows mobile 2003. :evil:

So I bought a Ambicom. Works great!!! :D

Red Dawn
07-11-2003, 03:15 AM
The symbol is the same card as the one from socket. Use their driver to see if it works. I have heard it does work well.

Hi

thanks.....it works great!!!!! :)

the trick is to hard reset to remove any traces of the old Symbol drivers and just install the Socket ones ONLY. works like a charm after that :twisted:

JonnoB
07-11-2003, 05:25 AM

I am glad that it worked... now I know I will be able to use my Symbol WiFi card when my 2215 arrives. BTW, Red Dawn was one of my favorite movies.

Red Dawn
07-11-2003, 09:13 AM

I am glad that it worked... now I know I will be able to use my Symbol WiFi card when my 2215 arrives. BTW, Red Dawn was one of my favorite movies.

Hi

yup it works...just dun install ANY of the symbol stuff and go straight for the latest Socket ones :)

however, the WM2003's Wifi interface, like wat some have reported here, is not as elegant nor feature rich as the old default Symbol / Socket ones. it's all packed into the Settings->Connections area but i can never figure out where to get at the settings...

ha..i've used the nick everywhere for a few yrs and only in the past couple of yrs did i realise it's actually the name of a movie :P