View Full Version : Want to Subscribe, But Don't Have PayPal?

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 08:00 AM
If you'd prefer not to use PayPal (or can't), you can subscribe by sending a personal cheque (allow two weeks to clear) or an international money order (remember I'm in Canada!) to:<br /><br />Jason Dunn<br />45 Tuscany Springs Circle NW <br />Calgary, Alberta <br />Canada <br />T3L 2R8 <br /><br />Be sure to include which subscriber package you're signing up for, and of course your username and email address. All prices are in US funds. If you'd prefer to sign up with PayPal, <a href="https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=jason%40pocketpcthoughts.com">please use this affiliate link</a> - eventually we might get $5 out of PayPal from this link. :wink: <br /><br />I'm looking into getting a merchant VISA account or something similar, but it will be at least a couple of months until I can get that in place (if it's not cost-prohibitive).<br /><br />And, just as a footnote, if you're signing up for a lifetime subscription, please make sure the "Recurring" box is NOT checked. It's lifetime after all! It applies to Pocket PC Thoughts, not all Thoughts Media sites. Soon that will make sense... :wink:

bblock
07-03-2003, 08:06 AM
It applies to Pocket PC Thoughts, not all Thoughts Media sites. Soon that will make sense... :wink:

Let's hope that means what it can only mean...

DIGITAL MEDIA THOUGHTS COMING SOON!!!

Sorry - was I shouting?

Skitals
07-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Hmm... I have been trying to figure out what the other thoughts sites will be and I only find that you have registered www.tabletpcthoughts.com and www.thoughtsmedia.com

What else is in store?

Jimmy Dodd
07-03-2003, 01:41 PM
And, just as a footnote, if you're signing up for a lifetime subscription, please make sure the "Recurring" box is NOT checked. It's lifetime after all!

Well, there's always reincarnation to consider... :wink:

snowlion
07-03-2003, 01:48 PM
can i send a US check or do i need to send an intl money order?

also, fyi - it seems i need to logon everytime even though i checked the "remember" control.

surur
07-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Yesterday I signed up to Paypal just to subscribe to PPCT. Today I got this very official looking e-mail (which, being netwize I know must be bogus) that came from a paypal email account. I wonder how many other people are being fooled by this, and being taken to the cleaners. I'd much rather use a normal credit card than paypal. I've always avoided them because they felt "unsafe", and feel more justified about this now..

Surur

Dear PayPal Customer

This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and credit card information by logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:

Email Address:
Password:
Full Name:
Credit Card #:
Exp.Date(mm/yyyy):
ATM PIN (For Bank Verification) #:

This notification expires September 31, 2003

Thanks for using PayPal!

This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product updates when you create your account. To modify your notification preferences and unsubscribe, go to https://www.paypal.com/PREFS-NOTI and log in to your account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

Copyright© 2002 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 03:06 PM
can i send a US check or do i need to send an intl money order?

A US cheque is fine, but it will take longer because I need to wait for it to clear.

also, fyi - it seems i need to logon everytime even though i checked the "remember" control.

That's odd - it's remembering me ok. That's controlled by a cookie, so do you have any cookie-blocking in place? Or do you have Pocket PC Thoughts in a security-restricted zone? You might want to try finding the Pocket PC Thoughts cookie and manually deleting it, or even try deleting the hidden index.dat file in your temporary Internet files.

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 03:08 PM
I'd much rather use a normal credit card than paypal. I've always avoided them because they felt "unsafe", and feel more justified about this now..

Scammers target PayPal users because PayPal is the most popular online electronic money service. I don't think you can blame PayPal for being "unsafe" because someone else is being unethical.

Although it does seem a little odd that you got one of these so quickly after becoming a subscriber... 8O

heyday
07-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey you might want to try 2Checkout.com for credit card processing. I looked into them at one time and seems easy to get setup.... like $50 or something. Plus they say you can be setup immediatly.

I paid $400 for my merchant account but wish I had seen this. Don't know if you can do it in Canada or if they take International Cards but you might look into it.

heyday

snowlion
07-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Hey you might want to try 2Checkout.com for credit card processing.

their commisions are way too expensive 5%+....

it's better to create a direct merchant account...i pay (depending on the card) from 2-3% and the money is in the account in 2-3 days.

heyday
07-03-2003, 03:59 PM
But all things considered to get a good account you have to pay several hundred dollars and get approved, there is is $30 to $60 a month at least in fees.... I know I have one.....

Fore someone just "experimenting" with payment methods I think it is a good way to go...

heyday

Janak Parekh
07-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Although it does seem a little odd that you got one of these so quickly after becoming a subscriber... 8O
Nope. It's even sent to non-subscribers, virtually broadcast to everyone. And it looks freakin' authentic as HTML email.

--janak

surur
07-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Nope. It's even sent to non-subscribers, virtually broadcast to everyone. And it looks freakin' authentic as HTML email.

--janak

I take it you received one of those also then. It does look very real, and having just the day before received 3 e-mails from paypal with confirmation e-mails etc, I could easily have fallen for it. They would have had more luck if they asked less intrusive questions, or redirected to a bogus website. I'm sure many grannies etc must be falling for it right now...

Ive forwarded the e-mail to Jason, but he may have just deleted it as spam.

Surur

karen
07-03-2003, 08:26 PM
If you'd prefer not to use PayPal (or can't), you can subscribe by sending a personal cheque (allow two weeks to clear) or an international money order (remember I'm in Canada!) to:

What about the pile of Canadian Tire money I have in a kitchen drawer? Or a bunch of chewed up Roll up the Rim winners? Pioneer dollars? Bay dollars????

Seriously, can I just send you a Canadian dollar cheque from a Candian Bank on a Canadian account? If so, do you want to post a $CDN amount or just have me look up the exchange rate?

Karen
After all, you did spell it cheque...good boy.

ctmagnus
07-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Seriously, can I just send you a Canadian dollar cheque from a Candian Bank on a Canadian account? If so, do you want to post a $CDN amount or just have me look up the exchange rate?

Karen

I'm just sending him a cheque for $50CDN. He can keep the difference.

Edit: That's for the Mobile Full package, @ ~1.334. MUCH better than the 1.6 it was.

karen
07-03-2003, 10:31 PM

Karen

I'm just sending him a cheque for $50CDN. He can keep the difference.

Edit: That's for the Mobile Full package, @ ~1.334. MUCH better than the 1.6 it was.

See, that's what I was going to do....but I don't like getting into the "uh, your exchange rate is wrong, please send $2.34 more" (or what is more likelys "Dang it, she screwed me on the exchange, but I'm not a petty person, I'll just eat the difference and think that Karen is cheapskate".) issues.

However, I have HAVE had Canuck web vendors insist on US cheques drawn on a US bank. I just won't do that (and I do have a US checking account) on principle.

K

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 11:47 PM

Sure, Canadian dollars would be fine - I should add a note about that to the subscriber page. The problem of course is the exchange rate - it's always changing. Today $36 US would cost $48.70 to buy with Canadian dollars, so $49? $50? Whichever you like. :D

Janak Parekh
07-04-2003, 12:13 AM
I take it you received one of those also then. It does look very real, and having just the day before received 3 e-mails from paypal with confirmation e-mails etc, I could easily have fallen for it. They would have had more luck if they asked less intrusive questions, or redirected to a bogus website. I'm sure many grannies etc must be falling for it right now...
Yes... of course, it has nothing to do with Paypal's reliability or honesty. If there was a more popular service out there, it would be the subject of emails like this.

--janak

beq
07-04-2003, 12:32 AM
So we really do have to cancel and re-sub if we had left the auto-renew checked for lifetime subscription?

OK I just went to the Preferences screen, and I was surprised to see all 3 lifetime trial subscriptions still listed (even though I had cancelled 2 of them on the PayPal web site). I'm going to cancel 2 again from the PPCT page just to make sure. And for the remaining subscription I will just "downgrade" to lite then upgrade again to lifetime (making sure to NOT check auto-renew this time), as other posters have mentioned in the other thread.

I hope this is OK...

EDIT: Hmm whenever I click on the PayPal cancel link for each of the 3 subscriptions from the Preferences screen it takes me to PayPal, which always shows each subscription as being active (with $120 charge coming up in 2 weeks for each). But again I have cancelled 2 of them yesterday direct on PayPal page. I will look into this some more, but I'm getting a little concerned...

beq
07-04-2003, 12:39 AM
Also do we need to select our address as the subscription address or just choose "No shipping address required"?

Either way I suppose it's always mandatory that the payment recipient is informed of the payer's full personal info? I don't mind here, I'm just curious if this is the way PayPal works...

beq
07-04-2003, 12:50 AM
This is getting embarrassing, maybe I do need help. I went ahead and cancelled one of the 3 subscriptions listed in Preferences, but now my PayPal account page shows all 3 subscriptions are cancelled (meaning I've just cancelled the one remaining sub I had).

Now if I click on PayPal cancel button for any of the 3 subs (still listed in Preferences), PayPal informs me that there's no active subscription to PPCT anymore.

I guess I will have to re-sub as new again. I would guess though that afterwards Preferences will list 4 lifetime subscriptions, and if I click on any one of them it will always direct me to the PayPal listing for the one active subscription.

Then again I'm pretty dumb and I wouldn't want to be charged multiple times in 2 weeks if I'm wrong...

P.S. The reason I had 3 subs to begin with yesterday is explained here: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=130975&highlight=#130975

Jason Dunn
07-05-2003, 06:49 AM
I guess I will have to re-sub as new again. I would guess though that afterwards Preferences will list 4 lifetime subscriptions, and if I click on any one of them it will always direct me to the PayPal listing for the one active subscription.

Sorry this was so confusing for you - we'll try to make it smoother. :-)