View Full Version : Connecting Laptop and PPC Device Wirelessly To The Internet

scargill
07-02-2003, 11:45 PM
OK.....100% apologies first. This isn't a PPC question at all *slaps wrist* But your all so friendly and know lots about Bluetooth and wifi so.....

Is there anyway for my Dad to connect his laptop to the internet wirelessly, without a base PC or anything.
This is purely in the home, so I'm guessing that the best option would be a BT adaptor into the phone socket, but I can't find one :|
So is there any other options? Some kind of adaptor anyone knows off?
Thanks for this! If people want to flame me cos its the wrong site then don't shout, just say wrong site and let the thread die.

Cheers

Gav

welwyngc
07-03-2003, 12:11 AM
You still need a company to pipe in an internet connection to your house before you can hook anything up and access the internet - whether it be wifi or bluetooth.

what kind of internet connection do you have, or plan on getting?

Janak Parekh
07-03-2003, 01:05 AM
Is there anyway for my Dad to connect his laptop to the internet wirelessly, without a base PC or anything.
Just expanding on welwyngc's post -- there isn't really any difference between a laptop and a desktop per se. The best way to do this is to get a Internet connection that connects directly to Ethernet (usually, cable or DSL), and then to get a wireless Internet router+base station. They're not expensive, and they work great. The DSL/cable modem then plugs into the router, you get a 802.11b wireless card for the laptop, and you're set!

You can also do Bluetooth, but in general 802.11b is going to be cheaper, especially for the access point, because it's a commodity product right now.

--janak

PetiteFlower
07-03-2003, 01:16 AM
If you don't have/want broadband and just want to do dialup, then you *should* be able to get, for example, an external modem, and connect a wireless router or access point to that, and then connect the laptop wirelessly to the router/AP. Right?

Janak Parekh
07-03-2003, 01:16 AM
If you don't have/want broadband and just want to do dialup, then you *should* be able to get, for example, an external modem, and connect a wireless router or access point to that, and then connect the laptop wirelessly to the router/AP. Right?
Yes, some routers support external modem connections. I was going to mention that, but I forgot. Good call.

--janak