View Full Version : Calligrapher for WM2003 released!

Hyperluminal
07-01-2003, 09:37 PM
I just got an email from Phatware. It looks like they updated Calligrapher for Windows Mobile 2003, and I'm downloading it now... :D
This is great, since this is one of the few programs which I really liked that didn't work on PPC2003...

dh
07-02-2003, 01:32 AM
I downloaded the previous version of Caligrapher and I really wanted to like it.

As it turned out I had two major problems with it:

1. I just could not find any reason why it is better at handwriting recognition than the free Transcriber.

2. Neither of them recognizes my handwriting well enough to use regularly.

Both seem to have the same problems in telling the difference between capital and lower case letters. I would have though it easy for the program to determine that the first letter in a sentence is a capital and that capitals are not usually positioned in the middle of a word. Until issues like this are cleared up there is no reason at all to spend money on Caligrapher.

Maybe Transcriber will work better in the 2003 software.

Hyperluminal
07-02-2003, 12:46 PM
That's funny. When I had Transcriber (albeit the first one- for PPC2000) it really couldn't recognize my HW at all. So I got Calligrapher, and it was much better. One thing though, is that unlike TS (I think), CG actually "learns" your handwriting over time. That's why when I first got the CG trial, it was awful, and I didn't know why a lot of people thought it was so great. By the end of the month-long trial, it was absolutely excellent, rarely making any mistakes. So when you tried CG, did you use it for a while?

dh
07-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Yes, I used it for a while before giving up.
I may well try the new version and see how that goes. As I mentioned, I really want it to work, I can get reasonable speed with Fitaly but I would much rather write than peck.