View Full Version : Which USB Dongle with 2200 series?

rpommier
07-01-2003, 05:58 PM
I'm finding it difficult to decide on a bluetooth dongle to operate with my 2210. What should I look out for? I've seen a couple on ebay, but the $9 shipping is a rip-off I believe.

Is the MS bluetooth mouse and dongle a good buy? What have you guys had luck with?

Thanks,

Eitel
07-01-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm using a Belkin PCMCIA BT card on my laptop and a TDK USB BT adapter on my desktop. Both work fine.

The MS BT hardware won't work with the PPC's. No profiles in common to work.

drober30
07-01-2003, 07:32 PM
I bought the Belkin usb adapter and spent ALL day trying to get it to work. Laptop and 2215 would see each other but would not Activesync. Returned it bought the Ambicom (never heard of it but is popular) and it worked right off the bat. $45.00 at Best Buy.

rpommier
07-01-2003, 08:39 PM
How about for my desktop? Any dongles out there that work well? Thanks for the update on the MS Bluetooth, saves me some hassle. They had an open box for $67 at BBuy... oh well

jrw1975
07-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Get the TDK USB Bluetooth dongle. Its got a solid stack and is a sweet bit of kit. Here's a link to the USA Expansys site.

http://www.expansys.us/product.asp?code=TRBLU03-00100-00&asource=

freitasm
07-01-2003, 09:18 PM
TDK is one of the best. I vote for Bluetake too. Belkin is ok (I'm running a few competitions (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contenttypeid=3) until end of next month, with a Bluetooth USB every two weeks... You might get one there :mrgreen:

ToeCutter
07-01-2003, 10:13 PM
I can't say enough about Belkin's long range BT USB dongle (F8T001). I also use their BT PC card. Both work flawlessly with my 2215. The range on the USB adapter impresses the hell out of me. It works ANYWHERE in my two story house, as well as the backyard patio. I've had 100% success connecting to my desktop with the Belkin. I may sound overly enthused, but it's not very often that a wireless PC peripheral exceeds my expectations. All this and it costs only $50 at CompUSA.

I've heard great things about TDK as well, although I've never actually used one.

TAKE HEED and avoid Microsoft BT products at all costs. They simply don't offer the necessary profiles to do anything but connect a keyboard. They DO NOT include a network stack. Typical MS...

Godsongz
07-01-2003, 11:20 PM
I have a D-Link USB dongle that works ok with my 2215, but its a little quirky.

rpommier
07-02-2003, 02:06 AM
I can't say enough about Belkin's long range BT USB dongle (F8T001). I also use their BT PC card. Both work flawlessly with my 2215.

That's it ToeCutter, Belkin it is! Good price too, mine shall be on the way in a couple of days.

Thanks,

cab124
07-02-2003, 03:55 AM
I have the Belkin USB BlueTooth dongle on my desktop. So far, it is able to talk to my 2215, but it will not allow me to pair my 2215. I called tech support and they told me that I should update the drivers from the 1.2.2.9 that came on the CD to 1.2.2.16 which is on the website. I did that, but still no luck. I called a second time and they told that they don't know what the problem is. I am not sure if I should keep it if it won't pair with my trusty 2215.

I am also impressed with the range. I can go anywhere in my house with no loss of signal.

I am still trying to figure out some of the in's and out's. For instance, I have been able to get ActiveSync to work, and I can even surf the web when on ActiveSync. But since I configured wireless ActiveSync, I can no longer sync using the cradle.

Also, I am not sure what the newtork access service is all about.

I have also been able to do file transfers just fine.

Also, when surfig the web, I often get weird error messages like "page not found" when the page is clearly there because I can access it from my desktop.

Bluetooth appears to be pretty cool, if only I could work out all the kinks, like being able to pair, being able to sync by either BT or the cradle, figuring out what network access is for, and being able to surf the web reliably.

rpommier
07-02-2003, 11:01 AM
When you say "Pair", what do you mean?

ToeCutter
07-02-2003, 04:06 PM
I have the Belkin USB BlueTooth dongle on my desktop. So far, it is able to talk to my 2215, but it will not allow me to pair my 2215. I called tech support and they told me that I should update the drivers from the 1.2.2.9 that came on the CD to 1.2.2.16 which is on the website. I did that, but still no luck. I called a second time and they told that they don't know what the problem is. I am not sure if I should keep it if it won't pair with my trusty 2215.

I am also impressed with the range. I can go anywhere in my house with no loss of signal.

I am still trying to figure out some of the in's and out's. For instance, I have been able to get ActiveSync to work, and I can even surf the web when on ActiveSync. But since I configured wireless ActiveSync, I can no longer sync using the cradle.

Also, I am not sure what the newtork access service is all about.

I have also been able to do file transfers just fine.

Also, when surfig the web, I often get weird error messages like "page not found" when the page is clearly there because I can access it from my desktop.

Bluetooth appears to be pretty cool, if only I could work out all the kinks, like being able to pair, being able to sync by either BT or the cradle, figuring out what network access is for, and being able to surf the web reliably.

Hmmm, I'm stumped. I had no difficulty pairing my 2215 with my desktop via the Belkin adapter. I've been syncing and browsing the web with no problems whatsoever. I too am using v1.2.2.16 drivers.

Which device initiated the pairing? I set the desktop to be discoverable and initiated the pairing from the 2215. There was one small glitch that I dicovred when doing this: The authentication window for the pairing pops up on the desktop BEHIND the configuration dialogue window. I had to minimize the config window to input the passkey. Other than that I haven't noticed any issues.

Let us know how you fare, there's quite a bit of interest on this subject.

ToeCutter
07-02-2003, 04:13 PM
I just noticed something interesting regarding the 2215 and Belkin BT USB adapter: BOTH use Widcomm's drivers.

I would think that this would ensure a high degree of compatibility as Widcomm provided drivers for both WinXP/2000 and WinCE interfaces.

Good deal!

cab124
07-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Thanks for your input, ToeCutter...

Well, I tried what you suggested about initiating the pairing from the 2215. Here is what happens:

1. From the BT configuration dialog on the desktop, configure desktop to be discoverable by other BT devices.

2. From the 2215, add new paired device

3. Select the desktop icon

4. Enter a passcode (4 digit number made up on the fly)

5. Desktop system tray BT icon reports that a conection request was detected, click to continue.

6. Click, and wait....

7. Nothing happens on the desktop, then after about 30 seconds, the 2215 reports authentication failure.

This is the same result that I get if I initiate pairing from the desktop. Something is preventing authentication from occuring, but I have no idea what that might be. Tech support doesn't seem to know either.[/quote]

ToeCutter
07-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Thanks for your input, ToeCutter...

Well, I tried what you suggested about initiating the pairing from the 2215. Here is what happens:

1. From the BT configuration dialog on the desktop, configure desktop to be discoverable by other BT devices.

2. From the 2215, add new paired device

3. Select the desktop icon

4. Enter a passcode (4 digit number made up on the fly)

5. Desktop system tray BT icon reports that a conection request was detected, click to continue.

6. Click, and wait....

7. Nothing happens on the desktop, then after about 30 seconds, the 2215 reports authentication failure.

This is the same result that I get if I initiate pairing from the desktop. Something is preventing authentication from occuring, but I have no idea what that might be. Tech support doesn't seem to know either.[/quote]

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. This is EXACTLY the quirk I described. After step 5, you MUST "answer" the iPaq by providing the same passkey (inputing the passkey on the DESKTOP). I too missed this step several times when first pairing the devices.

The only problem is, the passkey dialog box is a little difficult to get to. Try these steps again. When you reach step 5, minimize all the the windows on the desktop and click on the ACTUAL BLUETOOTH SYSTRAY ICON (not the text bubble) and the dialog box allowing you to input the passkey should appear on the desktop. Once you enter the passkey, everything should work just fine.

I unpaired all my devices and re-paired them to confirm these steps. I enabled file transfer, sync and Internet. I left Passkey Authentication OFF (on the iPaq) for all services except for file transfer. Everything works as it should.

Give it try, you should be okay once you confirm the passkey on the desktop.

cab124
07-02-2003, 06:46 PM
ToeCutter you are the man!!!!!!!!

I did what you said and it worked perfectly. I am now paired up. Thanks!!!

Let me ask you this.....can you pair up if you initiate from the desktop? When I try to initiate from the desktop, I have no trouble getting the passkey dialogue boxes on both the 2215 and the desktop, and even though I enter the exact same passcode, authentication fails. You can initiate pairing from the desktop by right-clicking on the BT system tray icon, selecting "Setup" and then selecting "Security."

Also, I am curious about the following: On your 2215, if you go into BT manager and select "New", "Connect!" and then select "Explore a Bluetooth Device" and then select your desktop, what services does it tell you that your desktop provides? Mine comes up with:

1. BlueTooth Serial Port
2. Network Access
3. File Transfer

Does yours come up with the same options? What happens if you try to setup Network Access from this list?

ToeCutter
07-03-2003, 03:24 AM
ToeCutter you are the man!!!!!!!!

I did what you said and it worked perfectly. I am now paired up. Thanks!!!

Let me ask you this.....can you pair up if you initiate from the desktop? When I try to initiate from the desktop, I have no trouble getting the passkey dialogue boxes on both the 2215 and the desktop, and even though I enter the exact same passcode, authentication fails. You can initiate pairing from the desktop by right-clicking on the BT system tray icon, selecting "Setup" and then selecting "Security."

Also, I am curious about the following: On your 2215, if you go into BT manager and select "New", "Connect!" and then select "Explore a Bluetooth Device" and then select your desktop, what services does it tell you that your desktop provides? Mine comes up with:

1. BlueTooth Serial Port
2. Network Access
3. File Transfer

Does yours come up with the same options? What happens if you try to setup Network Access from this list?

Excellent! :D

I have the very same services available on my setup. I have noticed that it is necessary to connect to ActiveSync first and THEN Network Access in order to browse the web via bluetooth. I'm not sure why this is, but it's not much of an issue. If you connect with only Network Access, you'll get the BT Null Modem connect dialog for a very long time, until it finally times out. As I mentioned, I'm not sure why this is and I'm not terribly motivated to find out. I'm not even sure which BT stack (Belkin or MS) causes the issue. The "ActiveSync first" solution is a simple and reliable work around.

That said, the other two services work just fine. I've been using BT exclusively for transferring files back and forth between my desktop and 2215. It is SO easy to do this. I have a folder on my PC's desktop that I use as the share between the two.

Before I bought the 2215, I considered BT to be pretty much useless with my Sony Clie TG50. The 2215 implementation is so much more robust and useful. This device alone could make bluetooth required for all future PDAs. Bluetooth is, without a doubt, far more flexible than Wi-Fi for use on PDAs.

freitasm
07-03-2003, 03:33 AM
There's something wrong with your connection configuration then. Internet access via ActiveSync over Bluetooth is fine, but half speed - half of the bandwidth is used by ActiveSync to check the sync between device and computer.

Connection through LAN Acccess should not timeout. If this is the case, have a look in our guides (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449), there's a troubleshot section there.

cab124
07-03-2003, 04:59 PM
I spoke with Belkin tech support yesterday and they made the following two points:

1. They recommend always initiating pairing from the PDA rather than from the desktop (I didn't ask why).

2. In order for the Network Access service to work, you must first configure Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the desktop PC.

I am not sure what is involved with configuring ICS, but I was under the impression that ICS is only for use if you are not using a cable modem router (which I am). Apparently the Network Access service assumes that you have installed a local area network to which you want to add the 2215. Does anyone know more about this?

cab124
07-03-2003, 05:04 PM
One thing I am wondering....

If web surfing and file transfer is done by a BT connection to ActiveSync, does this mean it is done at serial port speeds?

Would web surfing and file transfer be done quite a bit faster if done through the Network Access service? I realize that even then, BT is much slower than 802.11b, but it has to be faster than the serial port.

Also, if BT currently supports a serial port service, will it ever support a USB service? Maybe I am out to lunch here.

ToeCutter
07-03-2003, 05:40 PM
There's something wrong with your connection configuration then. Internet access via ActiveSync over Bluetooth is fine, but half speed - half of the bandwidth is used by ActiveSync to check the sync between device and computer.

Connection through LAN Acccess should not timeout. If this is the case, have a look in our guides (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449), there's a troubleshot section there.

That's what I found strange. LAN Access only times out when Activesync is not connected. I figured the 2215 was somehow using the Activesync port for web access as well.

cab may be onto to something regarding ICS. I can't help much here, as I have a MS MN-500 Wireless Base Station that emulates an ICS server. You can't share ICS from an ICS client, which my PC becomes when it's connected to the router. Although, I suppose I could bypass the router for some testing.

ToeCutter
07-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Update: Bypassed the MS Base Station, configured ICS and connected with NO problems. ActiveSync is down and I'm browsing the web. The connection is SIGNIFICANTLY faster.

Thanks for the tip, freitasm

freitasm
07-03-2003, 08:46 PM
I am not sure what is involved with configuring ICS, but I was under the impression that ICS is only for use if you are not using a cable modem router (which I am). Apparently the Network Access service assumes that you have installed a local area network to which you want to add the 2215. Does anyone know more about this?

ICS allows an adapter on your computer to share it s connection with another adapter in your computer. The adapter sharing the connection can be linked to a modem, ADSL, router, whatever. It's an extension of a network.

All ICS configuration for Bluetooth, checklist guide, how to share internet via Bluetooth, and more are in our Bluetooth Guides (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449).

freitasm
07-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Update: Bypassed the MS Base Station, configured ICS and connected with NO problems. ActiveSync is down and I'm browsing the web. The connection is SIGNIFICANTLY faster.

Thanks for the tip, freitasm

No problem. I've noticed that most people decided to go the ActiveSync way, but the only reason is if using a Bluetooth adapter that does not hava LAN Profile (like 3COM - can't believe 3COM sells that :evil: )...

cab124
07-03-2003, 09:18 PM
ToeCutter.....how did you configure ICS? I checked the BlueTooth Guides that freitasm mentioned but I can't find anything that explains how to configure ICS on XP when using a cable modem router.

ppcnewbie
07-03-2003, 09:24 PM
When you use bluetooth to use the net off your pc, do you get charged a double connection rate from your ISP (w/ dialup)?

Like, does your isp know that you are using two connections? or do things load on your desktop/laptop and then the info is transferred to your ppc.

freitasm
07-03-2003, 10:44 PM
When you use bluetooth to use the net off your pc, do you get charged a double connection rate from your ISP (w/ dialup)?

Like, does your isp know that you are using two connections? or do things load on your desktop/laptop and then the info is transferred to your ppc.

Nope. For all effects the connection to the internet is through your PC, with your PC IP Address. The network doesn't know it'll be forwarded to your PockeTt PC.

cab124
07-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Hey I got it working!

I went under my network connections and their were two connections, one for my cable modem and another that was labled as Bluetooth. I went under the advanced settings for the cable modem connection and checked "share internet connection with other computers." I am not sure if this is the correct way to configure it, but it works.

Now, I can connect directly using the Network Connections service from my 2215, and the speed is much faster. Very cool.

ToeCutter
07-03-2003, 11:33 PM
ToeCutter.....how did you configure ICS? I checked the BlueTooth Guides that freitasm mentioned but I can't find anything that explains how to configure ICS on XP when using a cable modem router.

Here you go, straight from the source. There are even videos on this page that cover the entire process front to back.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b306126

Remember, your PC is the HOST while your iPaq is the CLIENT. I would configure your PC first, then hit the guides freitasm referred to to finish configuring your iPaq.

It does work. It's pretty straight forward once the host is configured properly.

QUESTION: Is there anyway to post images directly to the forum, or must they be linked from a separate web server? Screen caps could really help some folks out with this and I anticipate MANY will be looking to do the same thing cab is trying to do.

ToeCutter
07-03-2003, 11:38 PM
Note to self:

Read the ENTIRE thread before posting redundant info :lol:

Good deal, cab. If it works great, but, the config "should" originate from the bluetooth host, not the router. I suspect ICS may already be configured on your box, the Belkin software may have even done for you.

Any thoughts, freitasm ??? :?:

freitasm
07-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Note to self:

Read the ENTIRE thread before posting redundant info :lol:

Good deal, cab. If it works great, but, the config "should" originate from the bluetooth host, not the router. I suspect ICS may already be configured on your box, the Belkin software may have even done for you.

Any thoughts, freitasm ??? :?:

I don't think the Belkin software (which is version 1.2.2.16) had done it, but if it's working, as you say... Great! :D

Archi tech
07-04-2003, 09:34 AM
First, thanks to all in this thread for the great info. I have been following along, mirroring your successes all day. :D

I have gotten stuck though at one point in trying to connect to Network Access to my desktop.

-After I successfully connect with the Network Access shortcut in BT Manager

-On the 2215, I get the "Logon to Server" screen listing Resource: BT Network Access

-After tapping OK, I get a little ballon "connecting to: BT Network Access, Using: Bluetooth Null Modem, then Dialing: Connecting...

this is THE problem. It never connects. It just sits there producing and consuming dots ad infinitum. I have paired the devices as per this thread and I can ActiveSync them as well and surf through AS. I'd just love to get to the higher speed web surfing.

Any ideas, ToeCutter, freitsam, cab, et al?

freitasm
07-04-2003, 11:55 AM
When you try to connect to a Bluetooth LAN point and get the "Dialling" notification it's a signal that your ICS is not configured ok, a firewall is blocking communications (this is most seen with Zone Alarm), or something different. Look in our Bluetooth Guides (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449) for a checklist.

cab124
07-05-2003, 02:57 PM
this is THE problem. It never connects. It just sits there producing and consuming dots ad infinitum. I have paired the devices as per this thread and I can ActiveSync them as well and surf through AS. I'd just love to get to the higher speed web surfing.

This was the same problem that I was having. Apparently this means that you don't have Internet Connection Sharing enabled on your desktop. In order to enable it, I enabled the Internet Connection Sharing option on the properties/advanced tab of the network connections dialogue in the control panel. I am not 100% sure it is configured correctly, but it seems to work.

Now, when I try to connect, this is what happens:

1. I right-click on the Network Access icon in Bluetooth manager and select connect.
2. I dialogue pops up for about a second that says "Connecting..."
3. A screen pops up that asks for a network logon (User name, password and domain). I type in the user name and password that I use when I am logging directly into my desktp and I type in the workgroup name of my desktop.
4. I then get the little bubble that says connecting with Bluetooth Null Modem. The little dots flash for a couple of seconds, and then it connects.

At this point, it appears that I am connected.

The only thing that I am wondering about is why it still appears to be connecting through the Bluetooth Null Modem. I think ToeCutter said that he saw a different type of connection pop up after he configured ICS.

ToeCutter
07-05-2003, 03:48 PM
cab: I think you're good to go. You should see the null modem dialog each time you connect.

I too had to enter my desktop login info the first time I set up the connection. I simply forgot to mention this in the post. :oops:

You can view/edit the Windows account information for the BT null modem connection by going to Start > Settings > Connections > Connections.

ToeCutter
07-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Archi tech: your symptom is an indication that something on the desktop is amiss (just as freitasm mentioned).

You might want to check out both the bluetooth guides that freitasm mentioned, as well as this ICS instructions link I posted earlier:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b306126

Basically, your desktop is not answering your iPaq's request to join the ICS network. The problem lies with your desktop, not the iPaq.

rpommier
07-05-2003, 10:08 PM
I picked up the Ambicom USB dongle at BestBuy today just to take BT for spin. I get them to connect (HP2215 & Windows 2000) but when I connect through the HP2215 it tries to connect but then says it can't find any services on the laptop.

Any idea of why I can't recognize the services on my desktop...

The devices recognize each other and pair just fine. I can even do BT file transfers between the two. But no internet sharing or activesync. Is there something else to do?

Thanks,

freitasm
07-06-2003, 01:21 AM
rpommier, have you checked the services? Right-click the Bluetooth icon in th system tray, select Configuration and check the services Available or checked as Startup. If they're not checked, you computer will not offer them.

PeteTh
07-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Maybe this might help someone.

I'm using the Belkin USB adaptor, and got everything working including internet via ICS (thanks to this discussion). However I tried upgrading the Belkin drivers to the latest then it stopped working (activesync was ok but not ICS). After much messing around I found that just unchecking the UCS options for the Network connection on my PC, then reconnecting to the net, then disconnecting, then enabling UCS again and reconnecting everything started working.

It was like the UCS enabling has to be done after the install of Belkin Drivers and bluetooth LAN access etc.

freitasm
07-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Jsut as a note, I was told by Belkin that drivers 1.4 will be up in their site sometime soon.

cab124
07-07-2003, 08:39 PM
ToeCutter.....when using BT file transfer, how long does it take you to transfer, say, a 5 MB file?

Archi tech
07-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but would someone reveal to me the meaning of UCS as used by PeteTh in his post? Thanks for the remedial lessons.

I have gone back through the ICS wizard and reconfigured my ICS, but I still get stuck at the dialing null modem phase. Maybe PeteTh has found the fix. :?: Anyone's thoughts are graciously accepted.

I have successfully used network access on my desktop at the office, and to echo everyone else's comments it is much faster than surfing via AS.

BTW, the BT adapter I'm using is an EPO I purchased at Fry's. It looks physically the same as the Belkin, and came with the widcom 1.2.2.4 drivers.

freitasm
07-08-2003, 09:19 PM
UCS is a typo. Don't be grumpy :devilboy: .

Read this other thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13678&start=20) where the owner managed to configure his computer to accomplish the same.

Also, I can't emphasize too much: most of the problems with ICS are related to IP or firewall. Read the Bluetooth Guides at Geekzone for a checklist.

Archi tech
07-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the clarification, I really didn't know. :oops:

rpommier
07-10-2003, 10:34 PM
I have everything setup correctly I believe... but when I try Network Access or Activesync I get a dialog asking me for a logon to the network. It says it's trying to dial a Null Modem...

Is that correct? I have no logoin enable on my XP Pro system so that puzzles me...

Someone help...

Oh yes, I'm behind a Netgear MR814 Wireless Router...

freitasm
07-10-2003, 11:48 PM
Behind the router? Then check if the router is configured on the 192.168.0.x space or giving out addresses on this range. If yes, this will conflict with ICS, hence the dialog...

rpommier
07-11-2003, 02:33 AM
So I have to do ICS under WinXP to get network access through bluetooth?

I get a dialog on my Ipaq 2215 asking me for a log on, when I do Network Access. But it doesn't happen when I do Activesync. It says:

Resource: BT Network Access
User name:
Password:
Domain:

Now I have no idea what to enter so I just tap OK.

Then the Connecing bubble pops up... saying:

Connecting to: BT Network Access
Using: Bluetooth Null Modem
Dialing: Connect

I'm just stomped guys, and very frustrated...

Have you helped out anyone with a Netgear Router MR814? I have the WinXP Pro and a Belkin F8T001.

I tried setting my Netgear to 192.168.1.1 and the IP Range
192.168.1.2-50 is that correct?

Then I went to my LAN connection and set it to 192.168.1.1 and set my Bluetooth LAN connection to 192.168.0.1. Then enabled ICS on the Bluetooth LAN. Well after I did that, no more internet.

I'm really stuck and am still combing through Geekzone and this thread trying to make some sense of this.

I can do Activesync then Network Access, that works but browsing the internet is excruciatingly slow.

Can you offer anymore assistance?

Thanks in advance...

freitasm
07-11-2003, 03:06 AM
I tried setting my Netgear to 192.168.1.1 and the IP Range
192.168.1.2-50 is that correct?

Yes, correct.

Then I went to my LAN connection and set it to 192.168.1.1 and set my Bluetooth LAN connection to 192.168.0.1. Then enabled ICS on the Bluetooth LAN. Well after I did that, no more internet.

That's the problem. You have to setup ICS from the 192.168.1.1 TO your Bluetooth LAN... Change it and you should have the LAN back and the ICS ok.

rpommier
07-11-2003, 03:50 AM
What about the LAN CONNECTION?

Should I set it to 192.168.0.1 or .51 outside the range? Right now I have Local Area Connection to dynamically obtain the IP address. That's the only way I could have internet on my desktop.

However Bluetooth LAN is 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0, I also have ICS going on my Bluetooth LAN. I'm still playing around with different IP's on my LOCAL Network. I think that my be the problem.

Thanks for the help...

freitasm
07-11-2003, 04:12 AM
Imagine this:

{ROUTER (192.168.2.0)} ---> {PC NIC (dynamic, from router, 192.168.2.x range) : ICS TO PC BT (fixed, 192.168.0.1)} --> {PPC (dynamic, from ICS, 192.168.0.x range)}.

You can have the PC with a dynamic address, which can be automatically assigned by your router, in the same subnet as the router (192.168.2.x).

The BT adapter is required to be 192.168.0.1 because that's the only way ICS will work. The Pocket PC will be automatically assigned an IP from the ICS DHCP, in the 192.168.0.x range.

rpommier
07-11-2003, 04:28 AM
Ok first off, Bluetooth IS NOT ready for prime-time. I wouldn't wish this crap on my worse users at work! It's like voodoo to get this stuff operable... Here's my setup for what it's worth, maybe it'll help someone in the future.

Netgear MR814 Wireless Router:

LAN IP Setup: 198.168.1.1
Use Router as DHCP Server: 198.162.1.2

Ok now go to Network Connections
LAN Bluetooth IP: 198.162.0.1 255.255.255.0

Now your normal Network Connection
Obtain an IP address Automatically. Share this under the Advanced Tab.

That's how mine works... That dialog still came up for me to logon and I gave it the standard username and password I use for everything. Don't ask me where that would be in Windows XP. I don't logon to my profile on box. So go figure.

Thank you all for being so patient with me and talking me through this process.

But, for the record Bluetooth is aweful! Get a freaking CF Card and go wireless much less headache than this mess...
[/b]

freitasm
07-11-2003, 04:41 AM
Glad it's working now... Shame that you had to go through so much trouble. The whole process is a pain, if a router or firewall is involved.

Now that's working, enjoy (and the next one will be easier, if there's a next one :) ).

lkawamot
07-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought the 2215 yesterday and am trying to configure BT connections at work and home. I have an Ambicom BT2000 USB dongle. I've also downloaded the latest drivers from Ambicom's website. I've read through this thread several times and flipped through the geekzone BT guides as well as the MS ICS instructions and still need help.

First off, on my 2215, if I go to the BT Mgr and click on "Tools | Paired Devices", I see my desktop in my list of "paired devices"

Next, I hit "ok" to dismiss it.

Then, I go to "New | Connect!" and select "Explore a Bluetooth devce" and click "Next".

I tap on "Tap here to choose a device", then click on my desktop.

The connection wizard then goes and attempts to retrieve a service list and always comes back with "The device does not offer any usable services."

How do I enable services on my desktop? I'd like to enable LAN access, but I can't seem to find any notes on how to do this. I've checked Ambicom's installation guide and everything seems to describe how to connect to another host rather than setting up a host service for my PPC to connect to.

rpommier -- you also have an ambicom dongle... what did you do to get your LAN Bluetooth to appear on your desktop?

Any suggestions?

Len

SHoTTa35
07-16-2003, 08:19 PM
did you turn on the services on the PC? Go thru the Bluetooth Manager and select the services you want to enabled. I think that was explained earlier. If you don't check any then the Ipaq wont have a list of anything the PC is capable of.

lkawamot
07-16-2003, 08:40 PM
That's the thing -- I don't know how to 'turn on' any services.... the interface I get is this weird explorer like thing called "Bluetooth Neighborhood"... lt looks a lot like "My Neighborhood" but displays BT devices it sees. I can't seem to find anyway to configure my services on here...

I *am* able to see both my desktop and my 2215 on there and when I click on each, I see services listed for LAN Access Networking, Serial Port, File Transfer, Dial Up Networking, etc...

I emailed support at Ambicom and the reply I got says that the "... LAN Access feature is only if you have a BLUETOOTH ACCESS POINT!!!"

So it seems that the dongle I got only supports connecting to a LAN access point and not *serve*?? Is that right??

I'm also having problems getting ActiveSync to work via BT as well... does ActiveSync need to establish a connection via USB first before it can be configured to connect via Bluetooth?

Thanks for your help... I just don't want to get too frustrated and return this thing... it looks like it has potential to be sooooo cool...

Len

lkawamot
07-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Does that mean that the others here have USB BT dongles that provide LAN access service?? It seems y'all have a control panel type thing with which you can enable and disable services to be visible from the 2215 (or any other BT clients)... why don't I??

What is the better USB BT dongle to get, then?? Not Ambicom??

Len

freitasm
07-16-2003, 08:59 PM
I emailed support at Ambicom and the reply I got says that the "... LAN Access feature is only if you have a BLUETOOTH ACCESS POINT!!!"

Len

Len, have a look in our guide Bluetooth Guides on how to this. Your adapter may or many not have the functionality you need, depending on software version. As a rule I vote for TDK, Bluetake, Belkin as good adapters. I use TDK and Bluetake at home with my Pocket PC.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

Hope this helps.

lkawamot
07-16-2003, 09:31 PM
freitasm -- thanks for your suggestion, but I've already flipped thru those guides... I've read thru this thread as well... I think I've covered the requisite materials... it's just rpommier had his ambicom working and ambicom was all that was available at Best Buy... *shrug* I guess I will have to mail order a different USB Dongle...

So am I correct in saying that I need to find a dongle that supports LAN Access serving capabilities?? Is there a difference or is LAN Access == LAN Access == LAN Access??

Sorry, I'm failry new to Bluetooth and very new to the Pocket PC's

Dare I say it??... I'm an old Newton convert... this is the first PDA that's looked usable to me since I shelved my newt ... a little over a year ago.

Again, any help would be appreciated!

Len

rpommier
07-16-2003, 09:36 PM
The Ambicom is the culprit... It reports the services as ok but the 2210 doesn't see them. I was successfull at Activsyncing with the Ambicom and using the internet passthrough (serial speed, i believe). It's excruciatingly slow!

Not worth the trouble, this stuff is suppossed to be fun right ;) Well the 2 days I messed with the Ambicom wasn't. At least with the Belkin, which I have or TDK you can get some help here. If these guys can get my behind up and running I'm sure they'll help you along.

Save yourself the frustration and return the Ambicom... Here are some links to the Belkin, $43 free shipping!

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10329172&loc=101

or you can get a refurb from Belkin:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201520&pcount=&Product_Id=140148

lkawamot
07-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'm dumping this crappy dongle and getting me a new one...

Len

freitasm
07-16-2003, 10:56 PM
The Ambicom is the culprit...

Save yourself the frustration and return the Ambicom... Here are some links to the Belkin, $43 free shipping!

Good advice 8)

Bichcake
07-17-2003, 01:35 AM
i can't say you'll have the same experience as me, but i ordered the refurbished f8t001 for $23.99, and it was shipped the next day. i'll get it next tuesday.

if you are looking at the refurbished belkins, get the f8t001 as it's a buck cheaper than the 003 and has 10x the range.

Mexico
07-17-2003, 07:39 AM
The Ambicom is the culprit...

Good advice 8)
I got the Ambicom USB dongle and a 2215. I can connect to the net either via ActiveSync or thru a LAN Access using PPP - actually, I'm writing this message from my bed, on my 2215, connected via LAN Access using PPP, and my girlfriend snoring next to me. I honestly don't remember what I did to make it worlc, 8O but it might have to do with setting up the USB dongle as a Direct Cable Connection under Control Panel > Modems. You may find instructions on how to do this in the user's manual (PDF file either on the CD-ROM that came with the dongle, or at Ambicom's web site). Tip: set up the Desktop as a host, not a guest as instructed by Ambicom. Good luck! (You're gonna need it) :D

rzanology
07-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Maybe its just me...but im finding it really hard to sync my active sync with bluetooth now. In 2002 it was so much easier to tell the ipaq which device should be your active sync partner...now i can't find it any where...Please help me.

SHoTTa35
07-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Maybe its just me...but im finding it really hard to sync my active sync with bluetooth now. In 2002 it was so much easier to tell the ipaq which device should be your active sync partner...now i can't find it any where...Please help me.

in the bluetooth manager just click NEW then CONNECT and then scroll down to ActiveSync via Bluetooth.

lkawamot
07-18-2003, 07:19 AM
OK guys, I need some more help here... again, just to refresh, I've read the thread through several times, and I've read the Bluetooth Guides on GeekZone.

I returned my Ambicom dongle and got my Belkin delivered to me earlier today. I've removed the previous settings and followed the instructions as best I could... I can ActiveSync via the Bluetooth Serial connection... and damn, this Belkin is good... If I'm sitting right next to it, with my iPAQ, my status says "Too Strong" for the signal strength -- I ended up placing my iPAQ across my room (away from my desktop and the dongle) to get a "Just Right" signal strength. But, I digress...

Here's what I have so far for my ICS setup (and, no, I can't browse the net yet)...

My desktop is behind another machine which acts as my gateway via my primary network card. The TCP/IP properties are:
Address: 192.168.138.96
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.138.1
Secondary Gateway: 192.168.138.2
DNS Servers: 192.168.138.1, 192.168.138.2
Finally, I have ICS enabled under the Advanced tab for this network connection.

The Belkin installation seems to have installed a new connection called Local Area Connection 3 -- which I'm assuming is my Bluetooth LAN...
It's TCP/IP properties are:
Address: 192.168.0.1
No other settings seem to be present. I did not change anything there -- everything is from whatever the Belkin driver installation did...

When I go to my iPAQ and click on "internet via Mara" (Mara is my desktop machine) it prompts me for the username, password, and domain. I complete it and hit "connect" (or OK or whatever it is) and everything seems dandy. It says I'm connected and when I browse my Bluetooth Places, I see that Lobot (my iPAQ) is paired and connected. I can even browse the public folder and such.

I then launch pIE and my homepage loads (probably from local cache), but if I click on a link, I get an error "The page you are looking for cannot be found" -- almost like a DNS problem.

I'm wondering if I need to enable DNS on my "Local Area Network 3" connection and make it the same as my primary LAN connection?? Or did I screw up and enable ICS on the wrong connection? No, I think it's correct...

Help please?

Len

freitasm
07-18-2003, 09:58 AM
My desktop is behind another machine which acts as my gateway via my primary network card. The TCP/IP properties are:
Address: 192.168.138.96
Secondary Gateway: 192.168.138.2
DNS Servers: 192.168.138.1, 192.168.138.2
Finally, I have ICS enabled under the Advanced tab for this network connection.

The Belkin installation seems to have installed a new connection called Local Area Connection 3 -- which I'm assuming is my Bluetooth LAN...
It's TCP/IP properties are:
Address: 192.168.0.1
No other settings seem to be present. I did not change anything there -- everything is from whatever the Belkin driver installation did...

You say ICS is enable on this desktop. So it should be pointing to the Bluetooth network adapter. Is that right?

Also, have a look in the last page in this thread: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13678&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

lkawamot
07-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Well, I did what I understand to be the correct configuration (which I attempted at home without success) just now at the office... it works!!!

The differences are:
1. My office machine connects to a local network which uses DHCP... so the local network TCP/IP properties are all set for "Obtain automatically"

2. Ummmm... my home machine has 2 dial-up networking connection as well as the local area network based on static IPs

I'm guessing that ICS should work under static IP conditions as well... any hints? Maybe I'm missing some other differences here between my office machine and my home desktop...

I guess I'm mostly happy now... I just with I could get this to work at home though... that's where wireless browsing on my iPAQ would be most useful.

Len

stevehiner
07-20-2003, 08:20 AM
Have any of you tried the Iogear 100 meter dongle? I saw it at Fry's today and it doesn't use an antenna like the Belkin so it would be safer to stick in my pocket. Also, Iogear sells a 2 pack so you can save about $11 on the second dongle (based on buy.com pricing).

Everyone is having such good luck with the Belkin I'm inclined to spend the extra money to buy 2 of them rather than the Iogear 2 pack. I was wondering if anyone has used the Iogear with a 2215.

Also, I've noticed that some people from Belkin seem to be responding to posts here - that's a huge deal to me and probably makes it worth the extra $11 just to know I might be able to get help that easily.

PeteTh
07-20-2003, 11:52 AM
stevehiner,

the Belkin dongle with antenna actually has a hinged antenna which folds neatly alongside the body of the dongle for carrying, it is also unbelievably light.

rpommier
07-20-2003, 02:22 PM
You might want to check Iogear's site for drives before you buy. I emailed their support and they told me they are waiting on drivers from Widcom. I had asked if there were any problems with Windows Mobile 2003. That's when I bought the Belkin, they had the more recent drivers out of the two, that was 2wks ago.

stevehiner
07-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Belkin dongle with antenna actually has a hinged antenna

Yeah, I had noticed that but an external antenna is something extra to get broken.

rpommier: the drivers issue seals it for Iogear. I will be ordering the Belkin this morning.

Thanks to both of you for the insight.

lkawamot
07-23-2003, 08:56 AM
Hey folks,

I'm back from my trip and I've started my attempts at wireless browsing again. I've tried to follow the steps of the BT Guide on GeekZone as well as notes from various BT threads on here...

I've got vxUtils installed to help track down problems and here's where I'm at. I can establish a Network Access connection via BT but can't seem to get out to the internet.

Using vxUtil's "Info" function, this is the TCP/IP info I get for my iPAQ:
IP Address: 192.168.0.83
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.172
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1

The IP Adress and Default Gateway addresses change whenever I disconnect and reconnect -- I'd expect the IP address to be different as my BT software on my desktop reassigns new IP addresses to my iPAQ, but why would the default gateway address change?

For tracking down how far I can get, I tried pinging the iPAQ's address (192.168.0.83) with success. Next, I ping the Primary DNS address (192.168.0.1) with success. Now I try the default Gateway (192.168.0.172) -- no luck... of course I can't ping anything further out... eg LAN machines, www.wired.com, etc.

so I'm not getting the proper Gateway address?? Shouldn't that be assigned to me by my desktop??

Anyway, here's the TCP/IP properties for my desktop's LAN (not my BT network connection):
IP Address: 192.168.138.96
Alternate Gateway: 192.168.138.2
Primary DNS: 192.168.138.2
Secondary DNS: 192.168.138.1
The LAN properties also has ICS enabled

Here's the TCP/IP properties for my BT networn connection:
IP Address: 192.168.0.1

I feel I am sooooo close to getting this to work... any help?? FYI - I'm using a Belkin USB BT dongle on an XP system.

Oh yeah, one other thing I noticed is that on the BT Guide (at Geekzone) for the Bluetooth Internet Sharing Guide for H3970, there's a part that says to Change the type of service to "Allow other devices to acces the Internet/LAN via this computer" on the 'Advanced Configuration' for the Bluetooth USB. I realize that different vendors will have different software interfaces, but I can't seem to find anything like that option for my Belkin's software. Did I miss it? Anyone who's got this working with the Belkin know what Freitas is refering to?

Thanks!

Len

freitasm
07-24-2003, 02:39 AM
You're close...

First your DNS points to the same address as your Pocket PC, and it's clear there'd be no DNS server on it, so this has to be fixed... Right-click the Bluetooth Network adapter from the Network Places and change that. Either remove the DNS or enter the real address.

Second, Belkin is running a version just before the one where the options for network were introduced, so don't worry about it.

Check our Bluetooth Guides page again, there's an article with a checklist there(if you haven't done it yet).

I'm in Australia now, and can't reply as frequently I'd like, but will be back in New Zealand this weekend, and reply here (or at Geekzone) if you have more questions.

Bichcake
07-24-2003, 04:35 AM
I don't know if this will help anyone, but this was my problem. Dont attach the dongle before you install the software. This caused my desktop to not set up my bluetooth lan connection, so network access didn't work. After reinstalling the software without it attached, it works fine.

I do have some questions, though. do I have to set up a password in xp to log in with my 2210? i'm used to not having to sign in, but it seems like this is making it work.

also, when i am connected to my desktop, can i access the shared folders on it? I can only get to the one that i specify when connected for file transfer, and you cant specify 'my computer', only one drive. maybe it's file explorer, and i need a more sophisticated/powerful program.

lkawamot
07-24-2003, 07:21 AM
My BT network property is pointing to the wrong DNS??!? It has no DNS entry... the only... oh wait, you're saying that the DNS entry on my iPAQ is pointing to my BT Network property's IP Address??

OK, this is getting frustrating... freitasm -- which Guide should I be looking at?? I've read thru those guides and none seem to be detailed enough to get me through this... they've definitely got me this far, but not enough of the steps are the same for my setup... do you have a guide for ICS with iPAQ 2215 using Belkin BT USB?? that would be ideal...

The reason I think my DNS entries are correct are because if I ping a hostname (not an IP address) of a machine outside my LAN (the internet), my 2215 resolves the name to an address... so it seems that the DNS is working fine... I have a feeling it's my gateway value... which seems to be randomly assigned by my BT Network connection... like it's assigning a value just like it assigns a value for the iPAQ's IP Address...

But just for completeness... I tried setting my DNS entries on my Local Area Connection 3 (BT LAN access server). I set the primary and secondary to be the same as my real LAN connection settings... still no go...

Can you point me to which Guide I should be looking? Maybe that'd help out since I seem to be reading the wrong guides... or I keep missing step(s)??

Thanks guys

Len

freitasm
07-25-2003, 01:50 AM
:oops: I'm sorry, I was reading this on a internet cafe and was hurried... No, your DNS is fine.

Just to let you know, in my case for the BT adapter in my desktop I have the IP set as 192.168.0.1, the subnet as 255.255.255.0, no gateway entry and the DNS are the same as my normal connections.

In my case the gateway value on the ipaq changes with every connection too.

With this it should work straight.

Are you running ZoneAlarm or any other software firewall?

rpommier
07-25-2003, 04:00 AM
Which connection do you have ICS enabled on? I forget my settings right off-hand, look a couple pages back to check them out. I actually had to enable ICS on my able modem's connection. I'll iollow this thread.

Roderick

Iamzim
07-25-2003, 06:49 PM
I use Epox it cost less then $40 at a local compter store .. works great.

lkawamot
07-26-2003, 12:02 AM
frietasm,

nope on ZoneAlarm or any other software firewall... The thing that keeps getting me is that I have this working all fine and dandy at the office... had it working in one try... I followed the same steps for home and no luck... :(

Thanks all for the help... keep the ideas coming please...

lkawamot
07-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Well, looks like nobody is coming up with any more suggestions to my problem on this thread... :(

On a side note... I *did* reconfigure my home system to use DHCP... so I enabled "Obtain IP Address Automatically" on my main LAN properties... I removed the DNS entries in my BT network properties... and voila... I have network access via Bluetooth on my iPAQ...

So it appears that the steps listed in the BT Guides and discussed in this thread work for DHCP systems...

BTW, if we go back towards the beginning of my queries one of the differences I had said between my work machine (for which I had Network Access working) and my home machine was DHCP vs Static IP setup...

Ahh well... I would really like to get my home machine back on Static IP so if anyone has any ideas on getting Network Access to work under a static setup, please post the info!!

rpommier
07-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Strange, this network stuff still isn't as effortless as it could be. I just spent most of the weekend trying to get my father's Netgear MR814 wireless router and MA701 CF playing nicely. But that's another thread :mrgreen:

Rod

freitasm
07-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Well, looks like nobody is coming up with any more suggestions to my problem on this thread... :(

So it appears that the steps listed in the BT Guides and discussed in this thread work for DHCP systems...

Ahh well... I would really like to get my home machine back on Static IP so if anyone has any ideas on getting Network Access to work under a static setup, please post the info!!

Interesting. Each configuration (BT or wi-fi) is different from each other. I use static and DHCP IP addresses at home (my desktop is static, the iMac and laptop are dynamic) and my Bluetooth works fine.

Because of this difference in configuration YMMV. It's a pain, but at least you have it working and now we know it's possible.

D.psi
08-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Just a stupid question, my wife and I are considering the 2210/2215. Is it possible to have both of us surfing throught bluetooth, or will the dongle's stack only deal with one connection at a time?

I'm guessing that if it is purely IP based, then there should be no problem having multiple connections, resolved with the various addresses. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it yet.

TIA.

D.psi

freitasm
08-05-2003, 09:02 PM
For most of Bluetooth profiles you can only have one user at a time (Serial for example)... But for LAN Access, the BT spec allows up to 7 other users.

I have tested myself and I had my laptop connected to my desktop and my H3970 connected to the same desktop and both working fine.

D.psi
12-15-2003, 06:05 PM
Well it's taken me a while, but I did get a BT Dongle and have set up both my wife's and my iPaqs to BT surf.

I did experience a number of problems while setting up my connection, but I would argue that most of the issues had little to do with Bluetooth, and a whole lot more to do with M$'s software, and my screwing up my router.

You do need an understanding of the concepts, and maybe that's where most people run up short. It took me a while to understand how to connect my iPaq to my wife's. Once I understood the mechanics, then hooking up to my PC was much easier.

D.psi

MikeStanley
12-15-2003, 06:34 PM
Mine is an MSI Btoes bluetooth dongle for the pc.

I have problems configuring because I was previously using an ip-address required for configuring bluetooth on Ipaq through to broadband via the msi dongle.

I got a lot of help from:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz

They seem to be experts in configuring bluetooth

All works fine now - although the range is not excellent , I use wifi for more than about 10 feet.

Hope this helps